diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

So I disconnected solar and waited a few minutes. The gap between lowest and highest had been almost 100mV previously, it was down to 60mV now. How could it get there when it was so well balanced last night?
If I remember correctly your voltages yesterday were closer to 3.3xV?
That is the flat part of the curve, voltages will be very similar with potential large differences in capacity.
And batteries 2-5 only show 53.4V

So, I swapped batteries 1 and 2. If the old #1 wants to throw OVP, let it be, but don't stop the charging of 2-5. No, I didn't move those heavy boxes. Just flipped 4 dip switches and moved 2 comm wires.

Too dark now to measure anything but hopefully tomorrow.
There is always user mode.

Okay so I tried to set Battery/Pack #5 to 3.4 and 20 (that's the lowest delta allowed apparently) but I did write all (the only write available) and it seemed to update all 5 battery/packs...
still charging, still climbing slowly

(my comm error with PBMS tools was my own fault had the rs232 plugged into the rs485 port on battery #1 duh!!!!)
If you think you're having fun now just wait till you see those balance indicators start to blink ?

The voltage is still climbing slowly in each cell...balancing I guess.... this is kinda crazy!
pack voltages ranging from 54.39 to 54.32 ... guess I'll keep waiting.... current per pack still at about 8 A

with the SOKTool (or PbmsTool), just to the right of each cell voltage value is a label that will be blank. It will show "BAL" when the cell is being balanced, "OVP" if the cell is in Over Voltage Protection or "UVP" if the cell is in Under Voltage Protection

@Kenny_ i admire your persistence and willingness to continue striving for perfection.
Always new posts of great info accumulation in here to boot.

with the SOKTool (or PbmsTool), just to the right of each cell voltage value is a label that will be blank. It will show "BAL" when the cell is being balanced, "OVP" if the cell is in Over Voltage Protection or "UVP" if the cell is in Under Voltage Protection
Ahhh. Thanks.

I've been charging at 25a and noticed cells starting to run. While I was taking the screenshot pack 2 jumped to 100%, pack 3 shortly after.
Screenshot_20240116-195730.jpg
Screenshot_20240116-195816.jpg
I reduced to 10A
Screenshot_20240116-200432.jpg
Notice how voltages dropped a little...
Hoping my ramblings above are making sense.
Notice how pack 3 is the lowest voltage and it's taking the most current...

Okay I'm seeing bunches of BL's now but not on Pack 4.... what do these mean and why am I still charging with the voltages approaching 56 V???
I expected it to stop long ago!

Help!!!!

Should I let this keep running of shut it down???

the current is way down... 1-1.5 A range across the packs...

will the BL's eventually go away?

Last edited:
You have #9 at 55.6 correct? It should stop and float at that point.
Sounds like it’s still balancing cells. On the prior page you could see the deltas in each pack for individual cell lowest and highest shrink in each subsequent pic. But your cells were still 3.34 then and are charging to 3.475. I’d bet your bank performs much better after this balance when discharging too

Okay I'm seeing bunches of BL's now but not on Pack 4.... what do these mean
It means the cell is above 3.5V and the balancer is bleeding off cell capacity as heat in order to bring the voltage down...
What are the cell voltages in pack 4?
and why am I still charging with the voltages approaching 56 V???
What is your charge voltage set to?
What's the voltage differential between your batteries at the terminals and the inverter connection?
I expected it to stop long ago!
Why?
Help!!!!

Should I let this keep running of shut it down???
If you're not seeing cells above 3.6V let it run.
the current is way down... 1-1.5 A range across the packs...
Makes sense.
will the BL's eventually go away?
Once the mV deviation between the cells programmed in the BMS is reached.

I'm reading that as "let it run" ???
I would. In fact, I’d be content to let it sit at 56v for an hour to ensure cells continue to balance since you’ve never had all 5 packs this high in the curve together.

I flipped back to grid recently. I normally wouldn't charge this high but I wanted to see how bad my balance really was and maybe help you.
Screenshot_20240116-204533.jpg

It means the cell is above 3.5V and the balancer is bleeding off cell capacity as heat in order to bring the voltage down...
What are the cell voltages in pack 4?

What is your charge voltage set to?
What's the voltage differential between your batteries at the terminals and the inverter connection?

Why?

If you're not seeing cells above 3.6V let it run.

Makes sense.

Once the mV deviation between the cells programmed in the BMS is reached.
Pack 4 is doing some BL'ing now those above 3.5 are BL'ing

param #9 is 55.6
11 is 54.8

Oh Damn, it just stopped charging WTF??

Screenshot 2024-01-16 190309.png

Wow... all those BL's and me panicing and then it just stopped charging... and I don't have a friggin' idea why???

Okay so I went off grid and back to 'normal'

01 - SbU
06 - CSO

everything looks good except I got no Solar Assistant cause no Internet maybe I can try connecting directly but...dunno.... maybe just let it run...

Wish to Hell Quantum would get the damn internet back up....this is what I feared from the horror stories when I signed up about a year ago....but it's been flawless but for a 15 minute outage back in the summer....
Arrrgh!
(i'm on my phone hotspot right now)

Last edited:
See if you can reconfigure SA.
You can always temporarily connect a keyboard and mouse (or more permanent with a USB Hub) along with an HDMI Monitor. I have a 10" Touchscreen mounted to the front of my inverter and connected to the HDMI port on the SA Pi.

I just use the wLan0 address in a browser. You probably registered which I didn't. Keeping everything in-house.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 212414.png

Screenshot 2024-01-16 212414.png

See if you can reconfigure SA.
You can always temporarily connect a keyboard and mouse (or more permanent with a USB Hub) along with an HDMI Monitor. I have a 10" Touchscreen mounted to the front of my inverter and connected to the HDMI port on the SA Pi.

I just use the wLan0 address in a browser. You probably registered which I didn't. Keeping everything in-house.

View attachment 189429

View attachment 189430
Thanks, I'll just standby for now.... I hope they get it back up by morning... will just read some and go to bed soon... I do miss Alexa though. :) :) :)

Attachments

• IMG_8488.jpeg
    IMG_8488.jpeg
    171.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
My real question is... Should I just leave this charging? It seems to be getting closer to what I believe is normal....but slow as molasses...
Your bulk charging is much lower then mine I have mine set at 55.3 Off grid garage did several tests on many different lithium batteries and 3.45 per cell seems to be the magic number and it works well for me as well. I set my float to 55.2 help balance them out. After bulk charged is reached and according to my victron shunt I got 399ah out of my 4 batteries before it switched over to grid which I have set to 47 volts which I know is really low but I want all the good I can out of the batteries I think calendar aging will kill them before my deep discharge does and it doesn’t happen very often.

So I disconnected solar and waited a few minutes. The gap between lowest and highest had been almost 100mV previously, it was down to 60mV now. How could it get there when it was so well balanced last night?

And batteries 2-5 only show 53.4V

So, I swapped batteries 1 and 2. If the old #1 wants to throw OVP, let it be, but don't stop the charging of 2-5. No, I didn't move those heavy boxes. Just flipped 4 dip switches and moved 2 comm wires.

Too dark now to measure anything but hopefully tomorrow.
This is another reason I stopped using closed loop you end up having one battery dictate charging for all the others.

diy solar

diy solar
Back