diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Yep, sucked 5.5 kw outta them batteries and the breaker blew. ?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-15 160530.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-15 160530.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Another data point.

Still some sunshine with potentially 2kW from panels.

Actual draw is 300W to satisfy load from house.

Battery 1 BMS status OVP @ 53.86V
Batteries 2-5 BMS status FULL @ 53.48V (within 0.02V)

All 5 batteries show 0A current.

So, the master battery prevents the other 4 from going higher, correct?
Sounds like they are full! Nice ?

Another data point.

Still some sunshine with potentially 2kW from panels.

Actual draw is 300W to satisfy load from house.
So you were charging around 25 amps?
Battery 1 BMS status OVP @ 53.86V
Are your cells way out of balance for it to trigger that low?
Batteries 2-5 BMS status FULL @ 53.48V (within 0.02V)

All 5 batteries show 0A current.

So, the master battery prevents the other 4 from going higher, correct?
It sure seems this way.

Mine doesn't behave this way in user, JBD turns of charging for an individual pack, cells settle, charging restarts. I try to reduce voltages to prevent it.

So you were charging around 25 amps?

Peak PV was 2.9kW, which would've been closer to 50A total. Minus a little bit for the house load.

Are your cells way out of balance for it to trigger that low

You refer to the 16 cells in battery 1, right?
I only briefly looked. The lowest and highest were maybe 30mV apart. Unfortunately I didn't record it.

We are looking at 6 days of rain, so I won't be getting to that level for a while again (I have no AC input).

I have 8 house circuits on the solar panel, without a transfer switch, so these batteries never really get a rest. My experience is that voltage readings are accurate after a minimum of 30 minutes rest. Maybe there's an opportunity when everyone is gone on Friday.

That look good, way better than mine, but you're in a relatively flat spot of the charge curve.
Hope you see enough sun to stay charged this week.

Did you disconnect the communication between batteries as well? Just connect the Power cables/buss? Do you monitor the batteries with any kind of software?
Yes I bought the 12 stud bus bars from signature solar and I attached that to my SGP battery rack. Then I connected the batteries to my inverter using 4/0 wire and the victron lynx distributor, this is not necessary but I liked how clean it was and I use the victron smart shunt for battery monitoring . What’s great about that is if you have solar assistant you can use the shunt plugged right in to pie for accurate battery SOC from anywhere just need the VE direct cable and that’s it the smart shunt is incredibly accurate and much more accurate and more details then I was getting from the closed loop coms.
Did you disconnect the communication between batteries as well? Just connect the Power cables/buss? Do you monitor the batteries with any kind of software?

In today's experiment boys and girls for those of you following along at home....

I loaded the hell out of my system this morning drawing around 4 kw and only tripped the transfer breakers once. :) but was able to suck enough power out of the batteries to trigger the low voltage alarm at 48 V and switch to grid and charging shortly thereafter ..... the 5 batteries were pretty even when this happened voltage wise and SOC wise.

Now in bypass to grid and charging batteries awaiting the switch back to battery at maybe 53 V (this is all so confusing :) ) and hopefully to continue charging and who knows may just let it run for hours or days to see if I can get to that mythical 54.4 v Nirvana.

Last edited:
Soooo Slooooow but still climbing.... sun is out but I'm afraid to change Param 6 from Utility - CUb to Solar and Utility - SNU for fear of the charging stopping. I really wanna just let it run this time and see if I can't get to max charge/capacity..

Not sure when where or how it will stop charging....that's part of what I'd like to find out...

Screenshot 2024-01-16 115155.png

Looks like the SOC calculation is correcting. At ~53.5v and it no longer shows 100%
Yep... a bit it seems.... we'll see after this run.... :)

actually I just was away a minute and now they are all showing 100% SOC (and interestingly I just noticed that none of those SOC parameters in the inverter show up while in USER mode....so ain't gonna shut off or start or stop charging based on SOC.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 120623.png

Log, log and more logging. Collect all the data you can.

In particular monitor SA Max charge current. Even with #8 Battery Type set to User, if the BMS is connected the BMS is still controlling #7, #9 and #11. #7 is shown as Max charge current in SA and the BMS will continuously update #7 to manage battery charging.
I suspect that #9 (Battery bulk charge voltage) and #11 (Battery float charge voltage) are somewhat mislabeled. I believe they are Max charging voltages and the Inverter will use whatever voltage is needs (up to max) to achieve the #7 Max charging current. With the BMS connected, #7 is actually BMS requested charging current.

You could consider simply unplugging the BMS cable at the battery or inverter. The inverter will then use the default #7 (which you can set as the BMS is not overriding it). As you change #7, Max charging current as displayed in SA will follow what you set. Remember, this charging current is divided among the batteries. As you increase charging current, the inverter will raise charging voltage to achieve the charging current you set. Keep an eye on the voltage as you do not want to overcharge the battery. With SOKTool you should also see an increase in current for each battery you are monitoring as you manually increase #7. You can always reconnect the BMS and I expect you will see #7 decrease to what the BMS wants for charging current.

Screenshot 2024-01-15 135031.png

Yep... a bit it seems.... we'll see after this run.... :)

actually I just was away a minute and now they are all showing 100% SOC (and interestingly I just noticed that none of those SOC parameters in the inverter show up while in USER mode....so ain't gonna shut off or start or stop charging based on SOC.

View attachment 189341
As I suspected, your cells are out of balance.
If you didn't reduce the balance voltage setting on every BMS you will have to hold the voltage higher to get them to balance, I can't remember the factory balance voltage that you posted recently.

...and on top of that my Quantum Fiber Internet is down at the moment was down about 1/2 hour this morning and has been down a bit over an hour this time. This is only the second outage I've had in almost a year and that one was only about 15 mins...

Still on Grid and Charging, watching the inverter readouts and connected to a couple of batteries watching them ... slowly slowly slowly climb
Still running at about 8 A per pack/battery...

Enjoy will check back when I can....on a hotspot at the moment...

As I suspected, your cells are out of balance.
If you didn't reduce the balance voltage setting on every BMS you will have to hold the voltage higher to get them to balance, I can't remember the factory balance voltage that you posted recently.
Factory Balance Voltage? Is that one of the Inverter parameters? or in the BMS?

In the BMS I'm looking at on battery #5 the balance threshold says 3.5 and Balance delta Vcell says 30

BMS Parameter page But I don't want to change any of these or Cindy will be mad at me again:

Screenshot 2024-01-16 145004.png

diy solar

diy solar
Back