diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Last edited:
I like the layout of that software, much nicer than JBD...

I would definitely change cell OV protect to 3.65V or a bit lower and the charge temp to 0C.
I'd also change the balance threshold to 3.42V and lower the delta as much as you can.
You could also change the fully voltage to 55.6 if you wanted.

It looks like you can export settings so I'd save a copy of the original if you plan to change anything..
I think I found it but link didn't work.... I don't want to change things in the PACE BMS just right now if I can avoid it .... If I have to raise hell with Sungold I don't want to have any excuses for them to void the warranty... :(

BTW I unplugged SA since it's worthless without my internet working and plugged in the SOK PBMSTools so I can see all the batteries...Will keep an eye on things that way.

So will this takes weeks of On Grid Charging to get them balanced if I don't change any BMS params?

I'm assuming that is why it is going so slow and taking so long to 'finish' charging??

Is it just the process/balancing or is it that I've got some parameter horribly screwed up and it will NEVER REACH FULL CHARGE (54.4 is what I'm shooting for I think...but gawd knows)

Here's my current settings
04 - 47.6
05 - 53.2
08 - USER
09 - 55.6
10 - 120
11 - 54.8
12 - 44
13 - 10
14 - 48
15 - 41.6
16 - DIS
21 - DIS
22 - DIS
32 - SLA
35 - 52.8
37 - 53.6

Last edited:
My real question is... Should I just leave this charging? It seems to be getting closer to what I believe is normal....but slow as molasses...

If SA is connected to your router you can access it on your network, even if the internet is down. Just use the wLan0 IP Address on the Configuration Tab.

Can you also include #7 Max Charging Current in your list of settings
And include whether the BMS is connected or not

Last edited:
Yes I bought the 12 stud bus bars from signature solar and I attached that to my SGP battery rack. Then I connected the batteries to my inverter using 4/0 wire and the victron lynx distributor, this is not necessary but I liked how clean it was and I use the victron smart shunt for battery monitoring . What’s great about that is if you have solar assistant you can use the shunt plugged right in to pie for accurate battery SOC from anywhere just need the VE direct cable and that’s it the smart shunt is incredibly accurate and much more accurate and more details then I was getting from the closed loop coms.
Can you posts some pictures in here @Ennis437 ?

Are your cells way out of balance for it to trigger that low?

Unexpectedly, with cloudy skies, we got enough PV to have battery 1 show status "OVP" again.
(The others batteries show "Full".)

The overall voltage of #1 is 54.39V, and no current is flowing either direction, but I suspect that if I would disconnect everything and let it rest, the voltage would be lower.

The cells have a variety of voltage readings. Very different from last night.

Are they too far apart? I would not have thought. 20240116_141048.jpg20240116_141110.jpg20240116_143102.jpg20240116_143114.jpg20240116_143132.jpg20240116_143142.jpg

If SA is connected to your router you can access it on your network, even if the internet is down. Just use the wLan0 IP Address on the Configuration Tab.

Can you also include #7 Mac Charging Current in your list of settings
And include whether the BMS is connected or not
You seem quite obsessed with #7.
As I've told you it changes dynamically 60 is the default...but it don't stay there.?

And I've already told you a couple of times the comm cable is disconnected when I'm in user mode. ?

Unexpectedly, with cloudy skies, we got enough PV to have battery 1 show status "OVP" again.

The overall voltage of #1 is 54.39V, and no current is flowing either direction, but I suspect that if I would disconnect everything and let it rest, the voltage would be lower.

Are they too far apart? I would not have thought. View attachment 189386View attachment 189387View attachment 189388View attachment 189389View attachment 189390View attachment 189391
Seems far apart given what I'm seeing withone at theo moment. I'm far from the expert though.

I think I found it but link didn't work.... I don't want to change things in the PACE BMS just right now if I can avoid it .... If I have to raise hell with Sungold I don't want to have any excuses for them to void the warranty... :(
Yea. That link kicked my ass ?.
If you don't adjust the balance voltage in the BMS you will have to charge to at least 56V to get them to balance. I doubt you will ever get to 56V because you will have runners, that you are already seeing, trigger cell high voltage disconnect.......

I've been through this many times with my diy packs... 4s, 8s and 16s x3...
That warranty is most likely worthless once you lose credit card protection...

If you insist on leaving the BMS settings as is I would suggest reducing charging current significantly when you see cells start to run and trigger balance through the BMS software. You could / should also reduce charging voltage.
Also cells don't like being held at higher voltages and can degrade, you'd have to read some posts from Steve S for more details.

Honestly I'd just charge at conservative voltages and forgot about for awhile if the suns shining...

You could also bleed off individual cells and be your own balancer but you'd have to open the case.

Lots of options

Are they too far apart? I would not have thought. View attachment 189386View attachment 189387View attachment 189388View attachment 189389View attachment 189390View attachment 189391
.... Yea they are pretty bad.

The same things I said in my most recent posts to Kenny apply here as well.
Cell 9 most likely triggered HVD.

Log, log and more logging. Collect all the data you can.

In particular monitor SA Max charge current. Even with #8 Battery Type set to User, if the BMS is connected the BMS is still controlling #7, #9 and #11. #7 is shown as Max charge current in SA and the BMS will continuously update #7 to manage battery charging.
I suspect that #9 (Battery bulk charge voltage) and #11 (Battery float charge voltage) are somewhat mislabeled. I believe they are Max charging voltages and the Inverter will use whatever voltage is needs (up to max) to achieve the #7 Max charging current. With the BMS connected, #7 is actually BMS requested charging current.

You could consider simply unplugging the BMS cable at the battery or inverter. The inverter will then use the default #7 (which you can set as the BMS is not overriding it). As you change #7, Max charging current as displayed in SA will follow what you set. Remember, this charging current is divided among the batteries. As you increase charging current, the inverter will raise charging voltage to achieve the charging current you set. Keep an eye on the voltage as you do not want to overcharge the battery. With SOKTool you should also see an increase in current for each battery you are monitoring as you manually increase #7. You can always reconnect the BMS and I expect you will see #7 decrease to what the BMS wants for charging current.

View attachment 189342
agreed!

I don't know if it's even going to stop... finalize charging even if I change those.....wtf though...
I am getting abit lost in the process at this point. Kenny at least you are having a great source of entertainment over the winter. These batts have paid for themselves if you consider if this many hours of entertainment went towards movie tickets or something! I am glad you are having fun

I know I've shared these before but I can't remember where.
The settings I attached for my JBDs and the inverter settings somewhere above are working well.
They came from many posts by multiple expert members I've learned tons from over the years.

I'm sure they aren't perfect and can be tweaked to your liking.

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_093407.jpg
    IMG_20240106_093407.jpg
    285.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240106_093341.jpg
    IMG_20240106_093341.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240106_094155.jpg
    IMG_20240106_094155.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240106_093725.jpg
    IMG_20240106_093725.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 8
I think I may have fucked up. Tried to change the BMS settings as above...now the connection from pbmstools to battery has gone wacko!!!!! Standby...

...now I'm really confused....looks like nothing changed....hmmmm

Standby boys and girls...

Last edited:
Cell 9 most likely triggered HVD.

So I disconnected solar and waited a few minutes. The gap between lowest and highest had been almost 100mV previously, it was down to 60mV now. How could it get there when it was so well balanced last night?

And batteries 2-5 only show 53.4V

So, I swapped batteries 1 and 2. If the old #1 wants to throw OVP, let it be, but don't stop the charging of 2-5. No, I didn't move those heavy boxes. Just flipped 4 dip switches and moved 2 comm wires.

Too dark now to measure anything but hopefully tomorrow.

So I disconnected solar and waited a few minutes. The gap between lowest and highest had been almost 100mV previously, it was down to 60mV now. How could it get there when it was so well balanced last night?

And batteries 2-5 only show 53.4V

So, I swapped batteries 1 and 2. If the old #1 wants to throw OVP, let it be, but don't stop the charging of 2-5. No, I didn't move those heavy boxes. Just flipped 4 dip switches and moved 2 comm wires.

Too dark now to measure anything but hopefully tomorrow.
You shoulda see me trying to unpack them and get them down my stairs.... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Your balance threshold is too high, set it to 3.4 or 3.45.
I would also change that 30 millivolts down to 15.
Okay so I tried to set Battery/Pack #5 to 3.4 and 20 (that's the lowest delta allowed apparently) but I did write all (the only write available) and it seemed to update all 5 battery/packs...
still charging, still climbing slowly

(my comm error with PBMS tools was my own fault had the rs232 plugged into the rs485 port on battery #1 duh!!!!)

change that nasty #5....

"nasty 5"

yes, I initially had bought 4 in one order and #5 twenty days later. But I made the new one my #1.

I think the lesson for prospective buyers of rack batteries - esp from SGP - is, if you want no headache, maybe best to buy them all in one order.

Alternatively, don't look at numbers. Ignorance is bliss!

diy solar

diy solar
Back