diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Not yet!

I recently learnt that SA can update the configuration with a mapping table, and that one can automate things with rules.

I am not interested in adding anything for further obsessing about battery status etc, but the automation part.. sounds like it's worth it.
I’m back to comms L16 and I’m running great. I bet you run better now that your ports are corrected. I didn’t know how to do mine when I got my second battery, luckily @Kenny_ walked me through it and of course @marionw is a Jedi with batt comms

I bet you run better now that your ports are corrected

It has only been 3 or 4 hours.. I just walked out there. Nothing like standing in the rain peeking at expensive equipment that's rated "indoor only".

But you're right. The SOC numbers are within 1% and the current is about the same from all 5, no weird stuff like 1A here and 5A there.

Of course, having all of them "full", whatever that means, helps a lot.

I am so glad that @marionw looked a bit longer at my battery photo.

7am, instead of reviewing crypto valuations I ran to the battery shed to record battery status.

The 5 batteries have discharged somewhat unevenly, but it's the most uniform ever. Look at column F. It shows the variance and has overall increased since I recorded, with mornings always worst. All recorded data was in user mode until the 2nd last row where I went back to full comms.

The other big improvement is that the inverter now shows the AVERAGE of the 5 SOC values. Not just the master battery's SOC.

SmartSelect_20240202-070411_Sheets.jpg

Now I just need to see if I will get OVP issues with *proper* closed communications.

Good! My batteries definitely evened out and are looking better since a few full charges.

That SOC value is due to the comms re-enabling.

Last edited:
7am, instead of reviewing crypto valuations I ran to the battery shed to record battery status.

The 5 batteries have discharged somewhat unevenly, but it's the most uniform ever. Look at column F. It shows the variance and has overall increased since I recorded, with mornings always worst. All recorded data was in user mode until the 2nd last row where I went back to full comms.

The other big improvement is that the inverter now shows the AVERAGE of the 5 SOC values. Not just the master battery's SOC.

View attachment 192824

Now I just need to see if I will get OVP issues with *proper* closed communications.
That looks good, don’t be too hard on yourself about OVP. In my opinion it’s somewhat natural in a battery groups early lifecycle, with these L16 default settings we are charging and topping off alittle more aggressively than relying on a lower voltage float and longer timelines to “fill” each cellular module, the OVP is just a byproduct of your modules not living together for a while, once they’ve lived and charged and discharged together you’ll see more consistency in delta soc and you won’t have mods reaching the finish line before other mods are often (OVP). In my opinion it’s not hurting anything, these cells will reach end of life with time before death due to exhausted performance imo

Yea but it's terrible for my grid usage..

Oh

I guess without grid you would go below 20.

I don't use enough (solar) electricity. Clearly, having panels at 100% by noon is not good.

January utility consumption on the property will be 1200kWh. The SGP delivered about 150kWh. The other 2 pv installations delivered 200kWh and 160kWh, so total consumption is 1710kWh of which 510kWh came from solar (30%).

I have a lot of space for savings.

Electricity cost in December was 44c "usage" + 16c "generation" = 60c per kWh.
There are taxes and fees on top of that.
And prices increased 13% since then.

Around here, everyone gets letters that they use too much energy compared to peer accounts. Every account gets the letter except the vacant vacation homes.

The letters are supposed to make us feel guilty and swallow those new higher bills.

Around here, everyone gets letters that they use too much energy compared to peer accounts. Every account gets the letter except the vacant vacation homes.

The letters are supposed to make us feel guilty and swallow those new higher bills.
Yeah, I get those too but actually mine is in the bottom of the range already (before my Solar Power System).

Oh

I guess without grid you would go below 20.

I don't use enough (solar) electricity. Clearly, having panels at 100% by noon is not good.

January utility consumption on the property will be 1200kWh. The SGP delivered about 150kWh. The other 2 pv installations delivered 200kWh and 160kWh, so total consumption is 1710kWh of which 510kWh came from solar (30%).

I have a lot of space for savings.

Electricity cost in December was 44c "usage" + 16c "generation" = 60c per kWh.
There are taxes and fees on top of that.
And prices increased 13% since then.
Nice

@CaliSunHarvester Same here, I am full by 12:30pm usually and I have everything on my inverter now except the stove, well pump, and water heater. I need more batteries to store it because I’m only making it to about 2am on my batts then clicking over.

I think the fact that I live in Florida and you’re in Cali is why. I think we’re getting more sun.

I’ve noticed that during the day my panels are absolutely PUMPING out juice, I can’t use it all. I’m happy with my inverter it’s been kicking a$$

I need more storage 🤔

@CaliSunHarvester Same here, I am full by 12:30pm usually and I have everything on my inverter now except the stove, well pump, and water heater. I need more batteries to store it because I’m only making it to about 2am on my batts then clicking over.

I think the fact that I live in Florida and you’re in Cali is why. I think we’re getting more sun.

I’ve noticed that during the day my panels are absolutely PUMPING out juice, I can’t use it all. I’m happy with my inverter it’s been kicking a$$

I need more storage 🤔
Mo' Battery!!!

I need more storage 🤔

You have 2 batteries, right?
I have 5. Rarely go below 50%. We have a bad weather streak these days. PV made 1.67kWh today.

And I have not figured out how to feed AC into the inverter. 15A single phase did not work.
I thought I would get a 30A outlet from the old dryer, bit it turns out that the new heat pump dryer uses the existing 30A outlet.

Also, I am not sure that 30A 240V is enough to feed the inverter.

What kind of breaker did you hook the inverter up to?

My main panel is discontinued, so I cannot buy a new breaker for it, but maybe one of the sub panels could feed it.

Right now I try to minimize solar battery drain by using these e.g. for USB charging.. I know, it's silly:

17070937962696164938372165732902.jpg

P.s.:
About half the population in Santa Cruz County has no power right now it seems. When I told the family that the entire upstairs will continue to work, they were happy. I didn't mention the fine print of required sunshine by Tuesday.

They gray areas that have no outages are uninhabited mountains.
View attachment 193417
Congratulations! Power outages here are rare...only a few in twenty years, but I'm kinda looking forward to the next one. 😜

P.s.:
About half the population in Santa Cruz County has no power right now it seems. When I told the family that the entire upstairs will continue to work, they were happy. I didn't mention the fine print of required sunshine by Tuesday.

They gray areas that have no outages are uninhabited mountains.
View attachment 193417
It's times like those that make every penny spent worth it.

As far as grid charging, you need 240V.

Power outages here are rare

We have several accidental outages every winter, and sometimes intentional outages in summer.

They call it PSPS = public safety power shutdown. E.g. if strong winds are forecast combined with high summer temperatures, then the utility company shuts down power until conditions improve.

It's ridiculous.

I've got my AC connected via a 40A breaker

how about people that want to charge from a generator? Many generators put out only 6kW to 7kW, which is 30A. So, 30A should work, with the right settings, I guess.

diy solar

diy solar
Back