diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Yes. You'd use Bus Bars, batteries to bus, inverters to bus (recommend a class T fuse as well).

More mppts and panels are never bad.

So I would have 2 inverters on the bus? There won't be an address collision? Seems like the SGP wants to be address 1.

Would it be like having an external charger parallel to the AIO, also sharing the bus?

With 2 of the 10kW units, each can pull nearly 200A, so I would need a bus bar handling 400A, better 500A. Is that all? Sounds easy.

So I would have 2 inverters on the bus? There won't be an address collision? Seems like the SGP wants to be address 1.

Would it be like having an external charger parallel to the AIO, also sharing the bus?

With 2 of the 10kW units, each can pull nearly 200A, so I would need a bus bar handling 400A, better 500A. Is that all? Sounds easy.
The ASF wouldn't be synced and would have to each feed separate AC panels.

The HYPs could be sycned and feed one main AC panel.

Regardless, the DC bus doesn't care, just make sure you don't exceed current ratings. Yes, similar to a separate charger.

My 48V system doesn't have one. My 24V setup has one between battery + and SCC/ inverter.

2 class T fuses should be between battery bank and each AIO, on the + side?
That would work. I fuse each battery pack and add a disconnect / breaker, some may say it's overkill, I like overkill.

Who’s gonna take the plunge and be the first with (2) SRNE 10k’s? I need more mppt for these panels, debating getting a controller and putting it on the buss but for the price I might as well grab another 10k? I’d imagine I’d leave the (master) inverter with comms and set the (slave) to user and just feed the battery bank on voltages with my second inverter.

I really want to do this but I’ve got to spend my money on more batts. I have a feeling these batt prices are about to start falling in the spring (I hope) not brave enough to DIY a batt, although that’s where the powers at

Last edited:
Who’s gonna take the plunge and be the first with (2) SRNE 10k’s? I need more mppt for these panels, debating getting a controller and putting it on the buss but for the price I might as well grab another 10k? I’d imagine I’d leave the (master) inverter with comms and set the (slave) to custom and just feed the battery bank on voltages with my second inverter.

I really want to do this but I’ve got to spend my money on more batts. I have a feeling these batt prices are about to start falling in the spring (I hope) not brave enough to DIY a batt, although that’s where the powers at

Been decking the attic and blowing in insulation this weekend. Working on other “efficiencies”. Hehe

I’m all mini split A/C heat now

It was a real shit show up there before this work 👌🏻

View attachment 196551View attachment 196550
Are you open to buying prebuilt batteries with china shipping?

Are you open to buying prebuilt batteries with china shipping?
Probably not, I am going to keep buying these SG wall batts and just line them up down the wall. All you guys got a lot more batts then me I’ve only got 2 batts… not for long tho, I’m planning to grab two more soon I want everything to match

disconnect / breaker

Yes, I have this one between battery bank and AIO:
SmartSelect_20240218-161425_Chrome.jpg

I need more mppt for these panels, debating getting a controller and putting it on the buss but for the price I might as well grab another 10k? I’d imagine I’d leave the (master) inverter with comms and set the (slave) to custom and just feed the battery bank on voltages with my second inverter.

Without cooperation between the 2 AIOs, each unit would feed a separate panel with 20 breakers and a limit of 41A (10kW).

I rather would have a single panel with a limit of 82A (20kW).

Do you have to turn off BMS communications if there are two independent inverters?
I would think it would be best if your using the current ASF, the HYP should work fine with comms. I imagine you could split your battery bank communications and have comms on both but that would get complicated. Open loop ftw.
What about maximum charging and discharging amps?
As long as you have enough packs in parallel there should be no concerns. Size appropriately for C rates.

As long as you have enough packs in parallel there should be no concerns. Size appropriately for C rates.
Ok thanks, this was basically what I was thought experimenting. Since BMS is mostly static communications of settings (and complicated to share even if static sharing of limits was enough, which it isn’t), solve the problem by upsizing the battery bank to not need to worry about it.

Sometimes brute force is the elegant solution.

What about SoC monitoring in open loop? Or do you just set a low voltage cutoff?

Ok thanks, this was basically what I was thought experimenting. Since BMS is mostly static communications of settings (and complicated to share even if static sharing of limits was enough, which it isn’t), solve the problem by upsizing the battery bank to not need to worry about it.

Sometimes brute force is the elegant solution.
No problem.
Yes and more battery is never bad...
What about SoC monitoring in open loop? Or do you just set a low voltage cutoff?
Solar Assistant. I use voltage automations, @Lighthouse Beacon has been successful using closed loop automations.
Screenshot_20240218-200120.jpg

Yes, I have this one between battery bank and AIO:
View attachment 196572

Without cooperation between the 2 AIOs, each unit would feed a separate panel with 20 breakers and a limit of 41A (10kW).

I rather would have a single panel with a limit of 82A (20kW).
Of course but that means we’re throwing these 10ks in the dumpster or moving them to the shed, I doubt we’ll ever be able to parallel these units, we’ll see how next gen parallel version does as @42OhmsPA mentioned “expected 2024”.

2 separate installations sound safer, but a lot less efficient.

I think you can sort of trust one or two levels of cutoff + the BMS to be safe from a burn down the house angle. If you define safe in terms of other things, like keep critical loads up, that's a tougher nut to crack.

(IE, you can put a low voltage cutoff in the AIO, though it would be threading needle between safety and unnecessary cutoff due to voltage sag from loads. And you can layer this on top of BMS low voltage cutoff).

What is the worst case/typical case consequences and/or backups if the automations that are exterior to the AIO run into problems or get flaky?
The inverter setpoints take over, if they fail the BMS takes over, if that fails the 100A breakers on each pack trip, if they fail the Class T fuses save the day and if they fail shtf and I've got bigger things to worry about 😂. I also have Midnite surge protection on the AC side.
Everything was working fine before I messed with the automations, I just can't leave things alone...
There is also a timeout feature built into the automations, it won't keep sending commands if something is out of whack.

I think you can sort of trust one or two levels of cutoff + the BMS to be safe from a burn down the house angle.
Agreed.
If you define safe in terms of other things, like keep critical loads up, that's a tougher nut to crack.
I've thought about this a lot as I've designed my next house build in my head 420 times. I think a small Victron or other Tier 1 equivalent dedicated to critical loads would be the easiest solution.
(IE, you can put a low voltage cutoff in the AIO, though it would be threading needle between safety and unnecessary cutoff due to voltage sag from loads. And you can layer this on top of BMS low voltage cutoff).
Iirc there's a time delay setting in the ASF for low voltage cut off.

diy solar

diy solar
Back