diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

I periodically see “Master-slave chip SPI communication failure” but it always clears itself. I had 1 time it didn’t and I rebooted system. I feel like it happens more when you’ve got a lot of demand on a single leg of your output and not a lot of draw on your other L2 leg. Make sure L1s not getting a bigger work out. I moved more over to my L2 to balance my surging and it only happens maybe once a month now if even that, never requires reboot usually blinks fault then instantly clears, maybe try shuffling some breakers if you’re concerned
Interesting.... my legs are definitely unbalanced...just because of what is connected. But this happened when I was away and with very light loads. Hmmm....

I don't like to think of 'shuffling' breakers....guess that would have to be shuffling in my transfer switch...that certainly wouldn't be as bad as my main (old messy) breaker box.

I'm still hoping to get the entire breaker box replaced under the HEEHRA act if they ever get things in place here in Colorado.

Thanks for that input @Lighthouse Beacon ! How's your system working these days?

Interesting.... my legs are definitely unbalanced...just because of what is connected. But this happened when I was away and with very light loads. Hmmm....

I don't like to think of 'shuffling' breakers....guess that would have to be shuffling in my transfer switch...that certainly wouldn't be as bad as my main (old messy) breaker box.

I'm still hoping to get the entire breaker box replaced under the HEEHRA act if they ever get things in place here in Colorado.

Thanks for that input @Lighthouse Beacon ! How's your system working these days?
Flawless, since I turned control over to SA it’s running very very well. I actually forget it’s there now

I doubt its the cause. It's essentially two 5kw inverters in one box.
Which causes me to wonder why it takes so long to get 10Kw units that can be stacked. What would be the difference between stacking 4 5Kw inverters compared to 2 10Kw units comprised of 2 5Kw units?

Which causes me to wonder why it takes so long to get 10Kw units that can be stacked. What would be the difference between stacking 4 5Kw inverters compared to 2 10Kw units comprised of 2 5Kw units?
I don't know, shouldn't be much difference at all but I'm far from an expert. I'm guessing they aren't experts on our wonderful 120V/240V power, maybe they don't have enough beta testers....

Reactions: Zwy
It does appear that the SG10KHB-48 is stackable, up to three operating in parallel

This 10kw inverter claims to be stackable:

Last edited:
I wonder if there’s simply a firmware revision needed

I wouldn’t think output imbalance would be a reason for the Split Phase Inverter to fail send/echo comm responses either, but when I moved my loads around I stopped seeing this error. Based on my research, I don’t have the links on me, but I had seen in other forums inverters working harder to balance phase shifting between the inverters increased the likelihood of abnormal communication between the circuits potentially increasing the throw of circuit communication errors

I’d be great if someone with knowledge of comms like @marionw could elaborate to us more what master/slave relationship communication is occuring on the circuit level of these boards or how faults can occur and recover or other times cascade so severely the system does not recover without reset

I don’t fully understand what’s happening to cause this abnormal circuit communication and most details I’ve found online are very generic. Can anyone confirm what master/slave relationship in the programming it’s referring to?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't have any schematics for the inverter or access to the source code for the firmware. I am sure that the inverter has a processor and a number of auxiliary chips that all have to communicate with the processor (https://www.circuitbasics.com/basics-of-the-spi-communication-protocol/)
There has to be a number of Analog to Digital converters (ADC) to convert Input AC voltage, current and frequency, Output AC voltage current and frequency as well as battery voltage and current and MPPT voltage and current (or one that multiplexes a number of inputs). I am guessing that the entire AIO consists of a number of separate "modules" (MPPT, AC to DC battery charger, DC to AC output to name a few) that are "glued" together and controlled by the processor (and firmware). If only is was as simple as @Kenny_ "'s" Mr. Coffee. Some things just work.

I think I just observed a new record:

SmartSelect_20240324-131548_SmartESS.jpg

5.98kW from 24 used panels 260W.. that's
5980/24/260 = 96% of the official rating.

It's even more surprising given that I believe two panels in string 1 to be defective, or what would you conclude?

Screenshot_20240324-131812_SmartESS.jpg

Each string has 12 panels. But string 1 always has about 60V less than string 2 (zero shade, all mounted the same way).
Interestingly, frequently string 1 makes up for some of the loss with higher current.

Sometimes both strings have the same power (W) but 20% difference on voltage.

Edit: I just got myself a thermal imaging camera, and will review the panels soon with it.

I wouldn't worry too much about it myself...unless you got a totally dead panel or one at 50% or less output.... 96% is great!

I wouldn't worry too much about it myself...unless you got a totally dead panel or one at 50% or less output.... 96% is great!

I am definitely not very worried, as it has been this way since December, but it's a great reason to buy the camera. The difference right now is 200W.. over a full day it's maybe 1kWh
Maybe 400kWh in a year but the camera cost $300

I am definitely not very worried, as it has been this way since December, but it's a great reason to buy the camera. The difference right now is 200W.. over a full day it's maybe 1kWh
Maybe 400kWh in a year but the camera cost $300
I know... I'm nervous Nelly when my batteries act even the slightest bit funny. Maybe it's all that Mr. Coffee Coffee....

and speaking of cameras and batteries I pulled out my SLRs (to take pics of my artwork which is consuming my time instead of PV stuff these days) and seems the batteries are all dead or dying....arrrgh...

Looks like Sungold has sold the last of the 1,100 dollar 6048’s. We’ll see if they do more. I am guessing they won’t.

@Crowz your 6048 still running strong?
52F26784-3218-4307-97A4-63A641C058B0.jpeg

Back