diy solar

diy solar

Inverter life expectancy.

You have a little MS 300 watt inverter .
I love mine the thing just works , I have one thats working 8 years now
good stuff I wish they made a larger one that can run a frig .

5.5 years ? You don’t think that is good do you ?
I guess it depends on how much it cost and what sort of productive life you are looking for / need from it.

If I get 5 years of daily use out of my cheap Chinese inverter I'll be pretty satisfied. More would be a bonus.

But in all likelihood in 5 years time my system requirements are likely to have changed considerably and require an update/upgrade/change anyway.

5 years is not terrible but i never get that lucky , I’ve been off grid for a long time and have tried some of the expensive inverters and chargers and every time with out fail They crap out on me .
My time is invaluable I don’t want to rebuild my system ever , and I’m getting the out back dialed in after 3 years
I don’t really have to do any thing to make it run now . ?

5 years is not terrible but i never get that lucky , I’ve been off grid for a long time and have tried some of the expensive inverters and chargers and every time with out fail They crap out on me .
My time is invaluable I don’t want to rebuild my system ever , and I’m getting the out back dialed in after 3 years
I don’t really have to do any thing to make it run now . ?
Solar technology has changed a lot inn the last five years. The inverter I replaced was setup for Fla batteries. The LV cutoff on the inverter was at 24v so I was only able to get about half the Ah's out of my LiFePo4 batteries before the LV cutoff shut them off. I was glad to see it go.

lvx seems to be
---------------
Yes, you are right ! The 6048 is 86 lbs, low frequency
That looks like it could be long-lasting. Certainly looks more durable than the 6548
The LVX6048 is coming soon and looks like a tier 1 :
It is the waterproof version of the upgraded LVX6048 (more solar input capacity too!), Grid feedback, battery optional, dual mppts, Low Frequency, split phase ……. stackable you name it, wifi.. (and 100 lbs)
$1850

Last edited:
Solar technology has changed a lot inn the last five years. The inverter I replaced was setup for Fla batteries. The LV cutoff on the inverter was at 24v so I was only able to get about half the Ah's out of my LiFePo4 batteries before the LV cutoff shut them off. I was glad to see it go.
Just saw this , the out back equipment can be configured to do about any thing .
I’m happy with my lead battery’s I don’t know if I will ever change .

At the top of the quality list is SMA Sunny Island.. There isn't even a close second place..

Dropping down the list in a distance 2nd place, we find Outback, Schneider Solark, and even Victron.. All very good quality products..

In third place we find everything else NOT made in China... a very short list here..

Then we find stuff made in China under contract by non-Chinese companies..

At the bottom of the list, you find Chinese inverters made by Chinese companies..

Stick to 1st and 2nd place if your setup is something your comfort and security is going to depend on.

I've seen inverters on Amazon claiming 36 volts. And no I didn't mean a single inverter that does all 4 voltages. I specified 4 different voltages. And this won't be a list now. Also I said battery inverters most of those victron and must models are solar charge controllers/ inverters. That's not also not what I meant 12 volt, wow lots of typing, 24 volt, 36 volt because I saw one for sale and 48 volt. If Thiers no 36 volt just say it's false advertising. This is why I asked people what inverter they have and how long they've had it. So people can see what lasts how long.
36v inverters do exist but are pretty rare.

China made inverters are pretty dicey except the Growatts. Australia has been using them many years & have a good reputation along with a respectable warranty. They've only been introduced here in the states over the past year. They are pretty reasonable & the best deal for that brand is @ signature solar but back ordered often. I plan on ordering a 6kw myself.
But right now I've been using a Genetry Solar 6kw less than a year now & it seems to be a tank. A US company but their units are custom made by powerjack to their specs, not like powerjack's usual cheap as it can be made junk.
I'm questioning Victrons quality nowadays. I've had 3 100 amp charge controllers go bad in less than a year & fighting with them now over this latest failure.

Good 'ol Trace SW5548. Continually working non stop for 21 years.... and counting. Great old heavy low frequency sine wave inverters.
That's amazing! I never heard of that model, I thought the 4048 was their highest power model. Is that a 5500 watter?

Fronius Primo 5kW grid-tie and Schneider Conext XW+ 5548 battery inverter. Both trouble free for 5.5 years.

My neighbor has a vintage outback 3000watt 24v unit that has been working since the late 90s with only cleaning
And a charge controller upgrade
my out back is on year 4 works good

Problem with the MPP and Growatts is they arent really old enough to know if they're going to live. I have 2x LV6548's that I got in May of last year. I had a problem with 1 that I believe was my own fault, but Ian at Watts247 took care of me and I've been happy ever since.

I have 2, 4000/8000 Giendels for about a year and a half, no load amp draw is 4 watts. Working great so far.

I only have have experience with the one Schneider Conext SW4024. It's a rock. Running 4 years, no problems at all . But not stackable (I don't think - seems to be a debate) and so only good for smaller installs... 4000w or less. When I bought it it was the cheapest teir 1 ul listed split phased inverter I could find. And when I bought it, it was stackable.

Other than that, I don't know what to buy , but heres a great list of what NOT to buy . (I laughed so hard I almost peed)

Back