diy solar

diy solar

Is it possible to protect your Solar System against EMP?

The biggest issue with emp isn't the em wave, it's the induced voltage pulse along the grid connection...
Is that not similar to a lightning strike though? Different frequency and power, but similar effect? All our power cables around here are buried, but I am sure still vulnerable to EMP, but less so with lightning. I am hoping a good SPD mitigates that at least some. Otherwise, why bother with an SPD?

Overhead power lines are more susceptible to a direct strike. Underground lines are more susceptible to the gradient pulse.
Being affected by a gradient pulse is more likely than a direct strike.
That said, Underground lines are safer for the public. And are less susceptible to physical damage.

I'm wrapping everything in tin foil and duct tape.
I think I'll be fine. lol
That's pretty much my approach. Just enough for the essentials (recharge batteries for power tools, the radio, flashlights, have power to pump water through filters, run some fans, etc). Double wrap everything and put some insulation (plastic) between the layers. Since more than one "event" is possible, some inexpensive backups are probably a good idea. Each item gets wrapped, then the small stuff goes in a big box that is also wrapped.
I'm using heavy-duty aluminum foil and real aluminum HVAC tape (it has very good adhesive that will stay stuck for decades and actually does conduct electricty well through that adhesive according to my VOM).
I'm not investing a lot in this, but I have more faith it will survive than if I try to get fancy and keep things hooked up and use ferrite coils, filters, chokes, etc, etc. I hope to never find out.

Last edited:
That's pretty much my approach. Just enough for the essentials (recharge batteries for power tools, the radio, flashlights, have power to pump water through filters, run some fans, etc). Double wrap everything and put some insulation (plastic) between the layers. Since more than one "event" is possible, some inexpensive backups are probably a good idea. Each item gets wrapped, then the small stuff goes in a big box that is also wrapped.
I'm using heavy-duty aluminum foil and real aluminum HVAC tape (it has very good adhesive that will stay stuck for decades and actually does conduct electricty well through that adhesive according to my VOM).
I'm not investing a lot in this, but I have more faith it will survive than if I try to get fancy and keep things hooked up and use ferrite coils, filters, chokes, etc, etc. I hope to never find out.
Sorry, my post was sarcasm.
I guess that it didn't come through clearly.

Too many things are purchased on emotion and not fact. This is a classic example of sales people taking advantage of something that is not ever going to be an actual problem. "Yay.... I survived the EMP attack" "Oh no the Zombies are eating me"
I don’t think we should be ostriches.

But the truth is most of us- especially citified folks- take more imminent risks every week without batting an eye. The post-modern culture winds want us to be bubble-wrapped from everything, but at what cost? And I’m not talking about money…

A tire blowing out on the highway, vaping, a robber unafraid of homicidal action, car accidents, smoking, eating a poor diet, lack of exercise, alcohol use…most people don’t do anything mentally or practically with those issues. Of any of the few nations enabled to perform a military-sourced atmospheric detonation of nuclear weapons- nobody wants to start that. That’s including Iran or N.Korea; if they could even be capable of doing that.

Reactions: JRH
I don’t think we should be ostriches.

But the truth is most of us- especially citified folks- take more imminent risks every week without batting an eye. The post-modern culture winds want us to be bubble-wrapped from everything, but at what cost? And I’m not talking about money…

A tire blowing out on the highway, vaping, a robber unafraid of homicidal action, car accidents, smoking, eating a poor diet, lack of exercise, alcohol use…most people don’t do anything mentally or practically with those issues. Of any of the few nations enabled to perform a military-sourced atmospheric detonation of nuclear weapons- nobody wants to start that. That’s including Iran or N.Korea; if they could even be capable of doing that.
I realized that China gets more money with US shoppers having the internet and our computers.... so no EMP from there...certain middle east folks might behave more that way....

This dude is amazing. In my opinion. He runs some really good tests with good equipment.

I'd like to hear you rebuttal to his recommendation for the Siemens FS140 (and the newer FSPD140) and the high saturation ferrites.
I've seen his face on here before and looked into these ferrites. From memory, I could not find part numbers for them and to me they looked identical to type 43 clamp on chokes made by Fair-Rite that cost $5 - $10ea. I also did not like the way he used his oscilloscope as a video prop, not as a tool to make legit measurement. There are a lot of these EMP quacks selling fear to prepper types. This one seemed more sophisticated and believable. I write them all into conman column unless proven otherwise. I am also a skeptic by nature.

I am also a skeptic by nature.
This is a highly underrated trait.

looked identical to type 43 clamp on chokes made by Fair-Rite that cost $5 - $10ea.
Thanks for that. Worth looking into.

Any thoughts on the Siemens units? I would not expect Siemens to make snake oil products but these seem to be geared more toward lightning susceptible areas rather than EMP (strike or CME).
Amazon says this is the upgraded version to the FS140:

Any thoughts on the Siemens units?
They appear like legit MOV based surge protectors designed for lightning impulses but should not be promoted as nuclear EMP protection devices because that kind of protection requires more system hardening steps beyond just installing MOVs at your entrance panel.

Last edited:
They appear like legit MOV based surge protectors designed for lightning impulses but should not be promoted as nuclear EMP protection devices because that kind of protection requires more system hardening steps beyond just installing MOVs at your entrance panel.
Yes indeed. Lightning is slow, EMP is incredibly fast.

like comparing a powerful wind (cyclone, hurricane etc) to the blast shock wave from a powerful explosion (grenade, bomb, etc up close).
Its a totally different effect.

Last edited:
That is paranoia fantasy.

Katrina was a one-off and we quickly passed laws to prevent some singular idiot sheriff from every doing such a stupid thing again. Katrina was also an isolated event where rule of law still applied even though crime went crazy.
I am unsure the people prepping for the infinitesimally unlikely event of some kind of nationwide EMP attack should be calling the government seizing your assets a "paranoia fantasy."

Please consider how ridiculous you sound.

I am unsure the people prepping for the infinitesimally unlikely event of some kind of nationwide EMP attack should be calling the government seizing your assets a "paranoia fantasy."

Please consider how ridiculous you sound.
Keep in mind people, this isnt the chit chat forum.
Do NOT make posts directed at a member if your opinions focused on the topic not the person

Back