diy solar

diy solar

Is the generator used to charge the battery or power the load? Or both? Which one will the generator be used firstly?

Is the voltage or frequency can affect the generator charging on off? If the generator has up and down frequency ?
The generator, its voltage and frequency are not affected, nor controlled by the inverter other than simply presenting as a load to the generator, regardless as to where the consumption ends up going.

I don't think there is any way for the inverter to sync the generator to the rest of the system, this is why you can either have grid or generator input but not both at the same time.

Rather than syncing the generator to the rest of the system, the inverter will sync the rest of the system to the generator. A good inverter generator will have a very steady and accurate frequency that should not change at all and remain constant. If the generator has inconsistent frequency output then that will propagate through the inverter to the loads as well.

Extra power draw can affect voltage output of the generator but it should not have much effect as long as the power draw is within its rated capacity.

The reason the inverter has a on/off threshold of battery charge level for a generator is so it can present a constant load to the generator (the limit set in the inverter) and do the load management within the inverter by sending generator power to loads and/or battery as the real load on the inverter changes. This is the most optimal way to use a generator, a constant load within the peak optimum performance window of the generator's efficiency curve.

If you don't have a generator that can perform automatic start/stop via remote wire then you will have to manually ensure that you turn on/off the generator as your battery charges/depletes. Portable emergency generators are not ideal for this scenario, but depending on your use case and needs, manual generator control and refueling could be an acceptable compromise without the need to install a whole house generator that is permanently connected to a gas line.

For an off-grid setup where the generator likely has to be ran on a somewhat regular basis depending on daylight or extended cloudy periods, an automatic generator with a constant fuel source is almost a must.

In an on-grid PV system where the generator is strictly there when you have a perfect storm of conditions of low solar radiation, extreme cold/heat event and no grid-power I think it's a lot more palatable to have a portable generator providing temporary relief and charge for the batteries.

The generator, its voltage and frequency are not affected, nor controlled by the inverter other than simply presenting as a load to the generator, regardless as to where the consumption ends up going.

I don't think there is any way for the inverter to sync the generator to the rest of the system, this is why you can either have grid or generator input but not both at the same time.

Rather than syncing the generator to the rest of the system, the inverter will sync the rest of the system to the generator. A good inverter generator will have a very steady and accurate frequency that should not change at all and remain constant. If the generator has inconsistent frequency output then that will propagate through the inverter to the loads as well.

Extra power draw can affect voltage output of the generator but it should not have much effect as long as the power draw is within its rated capacity.

The reason the inverter has a on/off threshold of battery charge level for a generator is so it can present a constant load to the generator (the limit set in the inverter) and do the load management within the inverter by sending generator power to loads and/or battery as the real load on the inverter changes. This is the most optimal way to use a generator, a constant load within the peak optimum performance window of the generator's efficiency curve.

If you don't have a generator that can perform automatic start/stop via remote wire then you will have to manually ensure that you turn on/off the generator as your battery charges/depletes. Portable emergency generators are not ideal for this scenario, but depending on your use case and needs, manual generator control and refueling could be an acceptable compromise without the need to install a whole house generator that is permanently connected to a gas line.

For an off-grid setup where the generator likely has to be ran on a somewhat regular basis depending on daylight or extended cloudy periods, an automatic generator with a constant fuel source is almost a must.

In an on-grid PV system where the generator is strictly there when you have a perfect storm of conditions of low solar radiation, extreme cold/heat event and no grid-power I think it's a lot more palatable to have a portable generator providing temporary relief and charge for the batteries.
My settings is batt charge on generator for only 20A and my load is less that 800w but it keep switching on. Off i saw a video about sunsynk that if generator frequency change the inverter will stop nd when frequency is back to the level will back

It s a 22kva diesel check the hz level

Attachments

• 117E5535-C396-4A5F-94B5-8EF8FD1EF19E.jpeg
    117E5535-C396-4A5F-94B5-8EF8FD1EF19E.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 11
On Deye and SolArk you can set maximum generator load current. That AC input current limit will be distributed between AC output and battery charging with AC load demand taking priority on available generator power (charging current will be automatically reduced to keep from exceeding AC input current limit set).

If your AC load exceeds generator input AC amps set limit then battery power through inverter will supplement the AC input from generator to support the AC output load. If AC load exceeds AC input current limit plus maximum inverter current capability, the inverter will shut down due to overload.

There is also AC input limit of 50 amps due to pass-through relay capability. That is about 12 kVA generator.
If gen attached to grid input it will handle up to 200a gen set.

I've read the Inverter manual but I can't find how to set it. The manual only has Batt First or Load First setting for PV power.
I use battery first limited to home mode.

If your focus is on battery charging then the answer is you have to carry the load first plus battery charging second. You can supplement inverting load with generator. But you can’t invert and change batteries at the same time. You could with a separate charger however.
It’s the same as when grid charging the batteries. Set max current for grid and gen. If loads plus charging exceed the set limit battery charge current is reduced until House loads are reduced. The generator will be powering the house loads while charging.

You can set the working frequency range of the inverter. It is likely that the generator you have is not a very nice one and wonders around too much for the settings you currently have, shutting it on/turning it off again. Try widening the frequency window in the settings.

The bottom line is that with a generator in your circuit the frequency and phase you will see in your house will match that of the generator. The Sol-Ark does not isolate the generator from the house, it passes it through.

A common issue with synchronous generators is their rpm governor control is not stable. Any wobbling in generator rpm's translates to frequency wobble in AC fed to inverter.

Inverter's have slow and narrow phase tracking. Too much generator frequency wobble is like threading a needle while the needle is moving around.

Frequency counter will not show wobble. Inverters need a frequency stability of better than 0.3Hz/sec of wobble. Easiest way to detect wobble is by sound of generator. It should be smooth and even sound. Any 'wha-wha' pitch change in sound is wobble. A strobe light to a mark on flywheel is another way to check rpm wobble.

Freq range setting on inverter is not the same as frequency wobble range. Increasing freq acceptance range on inverter just allows the inverter to search for phase lock over a wider input freq range. It can increase time to lock because inverter is searching over a wider freq range.

Many inverters that have two AC inputs will have narrower freq range setting for port normally used for grid since grid has tighter freq range spec. This makes locking to grid faster since it does not have to search a large freq range.

If you connect a generator to the usual grid AC input port, you may have to widen its freq range setting as it is more likely the generator is outside of the tighter grid input freq range setting.

In my situation, the generator charges the battery and does not directly power loads. The inverter draws from battery to power loads.
1/2 of my home's circuits are off-grid (selectable between grid&solar via 6-circuit transfer switch)
I have a small inverter-generator that is setup (manual process) to charge my lithium 16Kwh battery if battery capacity drops down too far.
I would only need to use it if cloud cover persists for more than 3 days or so during total grid outage.

Last edited:
You can set the working frequency range of the inverter. It is likely that the generator you have is not a very nice one and wonders around too much for the settings you currently have, shutting it on/turning it off again. Try widening the frequency window in the settings.

The bottom line is that with a generator in your circuit the frequency and phase you will see in your house will match that of the generator. The Sol-Ark does not isolate the generator from the house, it passes it through.
My generator is one of the best British one lister but i guess apr need to be modified im not with big knowledge of generator where should i change the frequency in my inverter their s only in grid settings not in generator i have deye inverter

Back