diy solar

diy solar

Just had an idea.

John Frum

Tell me your problems
What happens If you dead short a cc/cv charge source.
Say its configured to charge at 14.6 volts and 100 amps.
My guess on what will happen is below

The charger will likely detect a short circuit and turn itself off.
But if it didn't... because the resistance along the path will be very low, the charger would adjust the voltage down as low as possible in order to maintain its configured constant current.

Haha, just spent 5 mins trying to get a picture to display, eventually went and looked at the page source and then it dawned, it was just blank lines to act as a spoiler :LOL:

A current limited supply should act like that, collapse the voltage in order to maintain the current all the way down to 0 volts. That said there are plenty of cheapie so-called 'lab power supplies' that will fail this and die. Quite a few tech / semi-tech youtubers, have blown one up demonstrating the current limiting ability by repeatedly briefly shorting the output.

Haha, just spent 5 mins trying to get a picture to display, eventually went and looked at the page source and then it dawned, it was just blank lines to act as a spoiler :LOL:

A current limited supply should act like that, collapse the voltage in order to maintain the current all the way down to 0 volts. That said there are plenty of cheapie so-called 'lab power supplies' that will fail this and die. Quite a few tech / semi-tech youtubers, have blown one up demonstrating the current limiting ability by repeatedly briefly shorting the output.
If the supply is indeed a CV/CC supply @ 14.2 volts and 100 amps, shorting the output means the output device in the supply is dissipating at least the 14.2 volts@100 amps, or 1.42 kilowatts of heat. That's about the same as a room heater or toaster, heat wise...not surprising if it blows up unless it's built like a tank, which very few things are nowadays.

If the supply is indeed a CV/CC supply @ 14.2 volts and 100 amps, shorting the output means the output device in the supply is dissipating at least the 14.2 volts@100 amps, or 1.42 kilowatts of heat. That's about the same as a room heater or toaster, heat wise...not surprising if it blows up unless it's built like a tank, which very few things are nowadays.
Joey , what are you up to this time :unsure: This is what you do with your bench supply every day ( shorting the output leads ) to set the limit of the ;):unsure:destructive current you want your new project to consume ! ;)

Joey , what are you up to this time :unsure: This is what you do with your bench supply every day ( shorting the output leads ) to set the limit of the ;):unsure:destructive current you want your new project to consume ! ;)

I wear my safety glasses and I have a fire extinguisher within arms reach.

Ummm. Not quite sure how you made the leap from smoothJoey's question all the way across to my comment regarding youtubers blowing up cheapie lab power supplies, but it was a leap worthy of a gold medal. :)

Back