diy solar

diy solar

Just installed some EasyStarts on 5 ton AC

@Will Prowse I installed two of these last fall for two 3-ton heat pumps, they really are amazing.
Did you like the Bluetooth app?
The app was very difficult to connect for me, but once it did it was perfect. The steps to add the name and press enter was a big hurdle 😂 I think they could improve the connection steps but it's great besides that

The app was very difficult to connect for me, but once it did it was perfect. The steps to add the name and press enter was a big hurdle 😂 I think they could improve the connection steps but it's great besides that
Yeah😃..mine went from 110A to around 30a. 20 yr old unit

Found this on manufacturers website

Will EasyStart void my compressor warranty?
Some RV owners worry that their installation of an EasyStart 364 might in some way void the manufacturer’s warranty on their rooftop AC unit’s compressor motor. Legally, it shouldn’t. But you never know what a manufacturer might assert. Micro-Air is quite confident that its product cannot damage your compressor. We do recommend that if you have a potential warranty issue that you consider removing EasyStart to avoid any issues related to its installation. We do offer an Extended Warranty

Will Easy Start shorten or extend the life of my compressor?
No. EasyStart operates only during the start of the motor then switches itself out of circuit. Since most compressors fail mechanically before they fail electrically, EasyStart does not change the longevity of the compressor.

Other guys here have professional HVAC experience, I'm a hack at it.

I've had an air compressor motor die when it repeatedly didn't start, sat there stalled until thermal switch tripped. (I now have a lower amperage Midnight/CBI magnetic-hydraulic braker on it, think that would trip faster.)

I think the softer start should reduce winding overheating by PWM for lower current, and if it is able to make phase shift for starting winding, that is good.

How the Easy Start deals with a motor that doesn't start would be key; does it quit before overheating windings?

I've had an air compressor motor die when it repeatedly didn't start, sat there stalled until thermal switch tripped. (I now have a lower amperage Midnight/CBI magnetic-hydraulic braker on it, think that would trip faster.)

I think the softer start should reduce winding overheating by PWM for lower current, and if it is able to make phase shift for starting winding, that is good.

How the Easy Start deals with a motor that doesn't start would be key; does it quit before overheating windings?
Yes that makes sense. You taught me some stuff on transformers and inductance so you were first I thought of haha

@Supervstech does HVAC

Good question about motor not starting.

And it has a "4 part start ramp" which should reduce heat in theory regardless of motors initial starting position

I know an 3 phase Motors it's a volts/hz ratio. 480volts at 60hz= 8, 240 at 30hz=8, 120 at 15gz=8. As long as your motor stays at the 8 volts per hz it can run indefinitely and has full torque. If it's a fan cooled motor it likely will need a minimum rpm to cool itself.
I'm not sure about the Single phase motors.

I’m curious if they will stand by that warranty if it fails and they found out it has a soft start on it?
Unless the service tech tells them they wouldnt know.
And of all the warranty calls i have done, i have never seen anything stating aftermarket add ons void warranty.

Did you like the Bluetooth app?
For my RV install, I liked the blue tooth except there was no data logging. Only remembered starts when powered on, and I believe it was three. I power down the inverter at least daily, and any start data is not saved.

Unless the service tech tells them they wouldnt know.
And of all the warranty calls i have done, i have never seen anything stating aftermarket add ons void warranty.
Good point, I think if I was to install one I might remove it before calling someone and install such that it’s easy to remove.

Question: you’ve been doing this a long time, how many units have you seen with soft starts on them and when was the first time you saw a soft start?

The reason I ask: we have 2 Maytag split systems, propane heat - with lifetime compressor warranty. 4 ton and 5 ton. Still use them for heat when it gets less than 10. I would like the option to run them off grid in summer when temps hit 100 and mini splits barley keep up on their own. ( I like mid to high 60’s in house in summer) However, I asked the company who installed them if they would install a soft start and they said no. They said they install hard starts in cases where there is a generator but never install soft starts. Said because the soft start makes the start take longer and the motor gets hotter.

If you can spare the time I’d like your thoughts on that?

Fyi, Goodman owns the Amana brand. I installed a new furnace and AC some years ago. I ordered a Goodman system off ebay. The furnace was out of stock so they subbed an Amana unit. It had exactly the same specs and size. The paint was different.
Hard starts are commonly added to older AC condensers that dont want to start. They add an additional capacitor and voltage sensitive switching relay to help start the motor. The capacitor is switched out after the motor starts.
Hard starts are not expensive.

Here are some of the screens from the bluetooth app for those wondering.
The last one is actual data including peak current measurement.

Attachments

• IMG_6550.png
    IMG_6550.png
    203.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6551.png
    IMG_6551.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6549.png
    IMG_6549.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 27
Found this on manufacturers website

Will Easy Start shorten or extend the life of my compressor?
No. EasyStart operates only during the start of the motor then switches itself out of circuit.

The bluetooth also drops out as well.

At least for me the one I installed on my Dometic Penguin drops out…

The bluetooth also drops out as well.
At least for me the one I installed on my Dometic Penguin drops out…
bluetooth only works when the compressor is running. I’ve used it from across the house, the range impressed me.
Not being an RV guy, i had to google Dometic Penguin! now i’m educated :)

Fyi, Goodman owns the Amana brand. I installed a new furnace and AC some years ago. I ordered a Goodman system off ebay. The furnace was out of stock so they subbed an Amana unit. It had exactly the same specs and size. The paint was different.
Hard starts are commonly added to older AC condensers that dont want to start. They add an additional capacitor and voltage sensitive switching relay to help start the motor. The capacitor is switched out after the motor starts.
Hard starts are not expensive.
Hard starts perform a different task from soft starters... zero benefit to a small inverter

Good point, I think if I was to install one I might remove it before calling someone and install such that it’s easy to remove.

Question: you’ve been doing this a long time, how many units have you seen with soft starts on them and when was the first time you saw a soft start?

The reason I ask: we have 2 Maytag split systems, propane heat - with lifetime compressor warranty. 4 ton and 5 ton. Still use them for heat when it gets less than 10. I would like the option to run them off grid in summer when temps hit 100 and mini splits barley keep up on their own. ( I like mid to high 60’s in house in summer) However, I asked the company who installed them if they would install a soft start and they said no. They said they install hard starts in cases where there is a generator but never install soft starts. Said because the soft start makes the start take longer and the motor gets hotter.

If you can spare the time I’d like your thoughts on that?
I have been in this field about 40 years now, and i can count on one hand the number of soft starts i have seen.
The vast majority of my customers are out for the lowest price.

I would think soft starters do extend motor start time, but they also reduce torque loads by bringing up rpm slowly as well...
It is possible the smaller start winding of the compressor would stay in circuit longer than designed for and could cause heat failure i suppose.

My knowledge lies in replacement of the equipment, i havent destructed failed components to analyze cause. I inspect after repairs for cause of damage.

Back