diy solar

diy solar

Just tired of companies that sell solar products

Scott Off Grid

Just venting.......
I am so tired of being, what feels like, ignored. I have contacted and not heard back from Signature Solar, SunGoldPower(never), Watts 24/7, and now Aerocompact. It is just so frustrating.
Thank you all on this forum, for helping myself and all the others that are trying to learn and become more self reliant.

Just venting.......
I am so tired of being, what feels like, ignored. I have contacted and not heard back from Signature Solar, SunGoldPower(never), Watts 24/7, and now Aerocompact. It is just so frustrating.
Thank you all on this forum, for helping myself and all the others that are trying to learn and become more self reliant.
Watts247 is usually pretty good about callbacks.

Don't know all the vendors on your short list, or what problems you are having with each, but I know what to expect from them ... nothing.

Seriously, become self-supporting (which is what it sounds like you are doing), and don't expect anything from these *sales* organizations, other than getting the product.

After researching the support that was available online from MPP (not much, but at least some), and getting a pointer/references about their sales capability, I purchased an MPP HF inverter from watts247.com, and it got to me fast. Jumped right up and ran in my little (hand-truck) power project. Didn't expect anything else from the seller, and don't really expect much from MPP either ... it's got a 1-year warranty (meaning one foot in the grave at the start), but it'll work for my small project in its testing phase. I consider it disposable, with that kind of warranty ...

After looking at SS's website, coupled with posts here about the results of calling in for support, I chose not to even bother with buying from them, at least not in the near future. If their website ever shows signs of support life, perhaps ...

Forums like this one have so much information that my only complaint is not enough time in the day to get at all the good info available here.

You'll be happier with being self-supporting from the start ...

Just venting.......
Sorry you're having issues.
Interesting, I didn't have any issues getting a reply from SGP before or after the sale.

I've also heard mostly good things about Watts 24/7.

Have you tried Current Connected?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230331-172926.jpg
    Screenshot_20230331-172926.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 8
Sorry you're having issues.
Interesting, I didn't have any issues getting a reply from SGP before or after the sale.

I've also heard mostly good things about Watts 24/7.

Have you tried Current Connected?
Got a couple of replies from SS when first emailed, then nothing, SGP was no reply and Watts 24/7 one reply and then nothing. I guess the saying is not Do It Yourself, but will be Do It All By Yourself. Thank goodness for this forum. I learned how to use Linux with a forum back in the day, I have no problem doing it with solar design and installation.

It's a hit/miss world these days - and it's everywhere! And over time, how do you know they'll be there a couple of years down the road. Thus I try not to get too upset but do my best to avoid buying a second time from a vendor that doesn't respond.

For example....
One of my AIMS died (4 year old) in Dec 2022. AIMS support responded but and after 3 months of many emails - could not get a replacement control board and they basically said 'don't hold your breath'. I genuinely think AIMS support was surprised along with me.

Signature Solar never did respond to an email query I sent over a month ago about a refurbished GroWatt they were listing.

So I bought an ETL certified SGP model. But thru a (really) dumb move I blew up one of the control boards inside the very 1st day. SGP support responded and it's been a month but I just got a tracking number for the shipment (from Hong Kong) of replacement control boards. They also responded to a question about doing remote on/off.

Last edited:
Add 18650batteries to that frakk list.
Contacted them twice now over a months span - no reply.
Way to run a business, boys...

FWIW, I have had contact with SS and Watts247 and (in my experience) both were really quick to reply/provide information. I have not dealt with the others discussed, so can't comment. I wonder if the market is getting saturated with higher number of calls/emails more recently and overloading these companies to the point they fall behind/can't keep pace with the demand.
I totally agree with the idea of becoming the support through leaning and relying on the good folks here on the forum to assist when you need. Heck I think MPP should put it right in their manual Step 1. Join DIY Solar Forum, Step 2. Ask a lot of questions.

I'm not going to be connected to electric utility at all, so I'm concerned about AIO inverter issues and the time it would take to resolve the issue. I'm pretty sure 3 of the low frequency inverters will do what I need and a fourth will give me some head room and a fifth will give me some security if one goes down. So I'm going with 5 AIO 6000 low frequency inverters.

I'm going with 5 AIO 6000 low frequency inverters.
Wow that is 30kW output. not sure which brand your using, have you checked the idle consumption of the LF inverter you planning to use? I ended up not using LF due to idle consumption concerns.
I have a good sized system and I run everything on 13kW output, although I am planning to go to 18kW later this year. - perhaps it is A/C - I have very low A/C requirement where I live, but some folks have huge Aircon needs due to location, A/C compressors are a bear for HF inverters it seems.

Wow that is 30kW output. not sure which brand your using, have you checked the idle consumption of the LF inverter you planning to use? I ended up not using LF due to idle consumption concerns.
I have a good sized system and I run everything on 13kW output, although I am planning to go to 18kW later this year. - perhaps it is A/C - I have very low A/C requirement where I live, but some folks have huge Aircon needs due to location, A/C compressors are a bear for HF inverters it seems.
I'm in Phoenix, AZ. My initial build is 3 homes, an 1800 sqft and two 600 sqft with mini splits for A/C. 2 water wells, electric car, exterior and barn lighting for horse facilities, three 1/3 hp evap coolers for summer foals in the barn and workshop for welder and future equipment. My parents, sister and myself will be on the property. I am not that concerned about consumption, I have plenty of room for panels. I am hopefully making the roof of the mare motel (1600 sqft) where the solar panels will be, depends on permitting.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. And what's just as bad, in this day and age of internet and social media I can't stand when companies don't utilize what they have available to them. I was looking up a bike shop on Facebook the other day and they hadn't made a post since before Christmas. Companies like that should be updating daily and certainly be answering emails and PMs.

IDK, i run an electeical contracting company, no way i could follow up on email or social media for customer contact...
Of course, i almost always answer the phone, and my office manager handles what i miss.

I'm in Phoenix, AZ. My initial build is 3 homes, an 1800 sqft and two 600 sqft with mini splits for A/C. 2 water wells, electric car, exterior and barn lighting for horse facilities, three 1/3 hp evap coolers for summer foals in the barn and workshop for welder and future equipment. My parents, sister and myself will be on the property. I am not that concerned about consumption, I have plenty of room for panels. I am hopefully making the roof of the mare motel (1600 sqft) where the solar panels will be, depends on permitting.

Wow... Just in case you missed it, 5 6kW units are going to burn 400W continuous just being turned on. That's 9.6kWh/day just to have the inverters on. That's 1.6kW of unusable PV and $2800 worth of unusable battery capacity just feeding the inverters.

Wow... Just in case you missed it, 5 6kW units are going to burn 400W continuous just being turned on. That's 9.6kWh/day just to have the inverters on. That's 1.6kW of unusable PV and $2800 worth of unusable battery capacity just feeding the inverters.
Yes sir - big power = big idle. I have 2 x 12,000w dumb (AIMS, SGP) inverters - and AIMS for sure has a 200w idle. Haven't found specs for SGP yet. So I manage them and just run 1 in winter / low PV and serialize use around the house a bit. In spring/summer, with plenty of PV I run both.

My point is that idle watt consumption is a real issue as power capabilities go up. In my case, it's worth it to manage this twice yearly

Last edited:
Do the high frequency inverters have a continuous usage? If so, how does that compare to the low frequency? And they need to be in pairs to get the 240v split phase?

Do the high frequency inverters have a continuous usage? If so, how does that compare to the low frequency? And they need to be in pairs to get the 240v split phase?
Yes, any inverter will need some power just to run it's control systems. LF inverters tend to draw a bit more than HF do, but they handle surges better because of it. If you're running heavy start motors like well pumps or power tools the LF handle it better.

Back