diy solar

diy solar

BAD BAD NEWS Signature Solar EG4 Plug N Cool Solar Hybrid ...Customer Punished for Factory Mistake

Sheridan

Hi Folks...
I have a very upsetting bit of information to share with regard to my recent Signature Solar Purchase of the EG4 Solar Hybrid AC/DC Plug N Cool 9k Minisplit System. I am a self funded medical missionary and need to have climate control for a 200 sq foot strawbale mud hut where solar is the ONLY option. I called Texas and spoke directly with Signature Solar in order to PREVENT ANY ORDERING MISTAKES AT ALL BECAUSE I AM ENTIRELY SOLAR DEPENDENT OFFGRID.. Freight delivered 2 boxes last night with a bright red 8.5 x 11 inch label attached to the boxes and the label clearly reads "DEYE Hybrid AC/DC 48 V Solar Air Conditioner 9k". Upon inspecting the items I discovered they are NOT SOLAR POWERED ITEMS AT ALL and I spent all day on the phone and sending photos to Signature Solar to try to resolve the issue and get the CORRECT item shipped to me. Their response has been, " We don't know how you EVEN got this item because We Do NOT SELL such an item." It appears that, EG4 buys these units from a manufacturer in China called DEYE and that the factory in China loaded the wrong grid dependent minispilt into a box printed for a system consistent with my order and that the unit is in NO WAY COMPATABLE FOR MY USE. One would think that by contacting them within 24 hours of delivery and providing all of the photos and paperwork showing that I was sent a grid tied household unit that it should be an easy fix. The Customer Service and Technical Support staff were very helpful and polite but after an ENTIRE DAY on the phone and computer sending photos per their request, I was given the run around and there is NO RESOLUTION.

So...DO NOT BE FOOLED by thinking that these are units made in the U.S. in Texas where you can easily get your needs met if there are problems with the order or the unit. It APPEARS otherwise. Just like anyone can order an item from Alibaba and have their very own logo printed on it, it APPEARS the same happens with these DEYE units. I can say one thing for certain. I have done business with Chinese business people and THEY ARE ALL ABOUT CUSTOMER SERVICE. I am hoping that EG4 will follow likewise but I now have HUGE concerns because I see numerous Civil Lawsuits against them listed for failure to perform when products are not as described, are damaged in shipping, are malfunctioning and have never even arrived. Look for yourself and do your homework and do NOT take the good reviews of a product on Youtube as reason enough to order from ANYONE. I do realize there is a process for handling refunds and exchanges but it absolutely SHOULD NOT TAKE AN ENTIRE DAY OF MY TIME ON THE PHONE and result in NO RESOLUTION. This is NOT a cheap set up. It was ordered for the specific purpose of being user friendly to set up in the wilderness where tech support is unavailable. I did NOT get what I paid for. I will update to let you all know how Signature Solar ended up handling this problem but to tell me that "We do not even sell the product that you received" is NOT an answer any of us wish to hear after spending a month's income to purchase an item and being sent the wrong thing. Not happy at all.

in

First, sorry to hear of your experience.

Second, no one thinks they're made in TX.

Third, your experience with "Chinese business people" is VERY atypical. They're usually about saying whatever they have to to get you to buy and then underdeliver and explain how it's your fault.

Hopefully, one of these two gentlemen can help you:

@SignatureSolarJames
@BenFromSignatureSolar

Can you post pics here showing what you got?

If you are indeed 100% solar powered there… do you have inverters for power? There is a debate on here about which is a better use of solar panels… dedicated to an ac unit, or powering a inverter and battery bank.

I wonder how it would play out, and if the mistake shipment might be a blessing instead?

First, sorry to hear of your experience.

Second, no one thinks they're made in TX.

Third, your experience with "Chinese business people" is VERY atypical. They're usually about saying whatever they have to to get you to buy and then underdeliver and explain how it's your fault.

Hopefully, one of these two gentlemen can help you:

@SignatureSolarJames
@BenFromSignatureSolar
Thanks for the help. As I said, The people on the other end of the phone were pleasant and seemed like they were taking the steps towards resolution but it simply is odd to be told that "we don't even sell the unit you received". Obviously it is a factory packaging mistake. I guess I have "lucked out" with my Chinese interactions, but I always deal directly with the responsible engineers and not any Customer service call centers. Those indeed are problematic.

Umm not splitting hairs here but it sounds like you got EXACTLY what you ordered just with a different label.

EG4 Solar Hybrid AC/DC Plug N Cool 9k Minisplit System

and

DEYE Hybrid AC/DC 48 V Solar Air Conditioner 9k

Should be the same unit other than the name.

Yep looking at these two sites its the same thing.

vs

The 9k isn't shown in the links I found to match but its the same unit other than compressor size.

Can you post pics here showing what you got?

If you are indeed 100% solar powered there… do you have inverters for power? There is a debate on here about which is a better use of solar panels… dedicated to an ac unit, or powering a inverter and battery bank.

I wonder how it would play out, and if the mistake shipment might be a blessing instead?
Yes...I was thinking about that and wondering about the added expense of acquiring the inverter needed to run the system that I have already paid for and I even offered to EG4 to make right by sending whatever is needed to make the system work by supplying me with the inverter and parts that were supposed to be as part of the all in one system. Whatever the outcome, iI will be honest in sharing it because I think it is important for folks to see that packaging mistakes happen at the supply level and that the retailers do not know until the consumer opens the boxes. It is not the "fault" of EG4 that the contents were not correct, only that it took an entire day of being on the phone and sending photos by internet and having to remotely recharge by solar to send everything repeatedly and end up with no resolution and end up with the person who was on the phone with me literally telling me to stay on the line with them only to find out he had gone home for the day and passed the buck...requiring me to start all over again with a different person...lovely...

Umm not splitting hairs here but it sounds like you got EXACTLY what you ordered just with a different label.

EG4 Solar Hybrid AC/DC Plug N Cool 9k Minisplit System

and

DEYE Hybrid AC/DC 48 V Solar Air Conditioner 9k

Should be the same unit other than the name.
I'm almost certain the Deye 48V unit requires a controller and batteries. I remember this when I was looking at importing.

Edit - yup.

Yes...I was thinking about that and wondering about the added expense of acquiring the inverter needed to run the system that I have already paid for and I even offered to EG4 to make right by sending whatever is needed to make the system work by supplying me with the inverter and parts that were supposed to be as part of the all in one system. Whatever the outcome, iI will be honest in sharing it because I think it is important for folks to see that packaging mistakes happen at the supply level and that the retailers do not know until the consumer opens the boxes. It is not the "fault" of EG4 that the contents were not correct, only that it took an entire day of being on the phone and sending photos by internet and having to remotely recharge by solar to send everything repeatedly and end up with no resolution and end up with the person who was on the phone with me literally telling me to stay on the line with them only to find out he had gone home for the day and passed the buck...requiring me to start all over again with a different person...lovely...

Personally, I would be very comfortable with a DEYE unit. DEYE makes Sol-Ark and are regarded as a quality supplier.

"Hybrid" implies it will work with PV. If it can work with PV, simply installing it and using it as originally intended is likely the least painful path moving forward.

I'm almost certain the Deye 48V unit requires a controller and batteries. I remember this when I was looking at importing.

according to the link above, it's direct PV, with no mention of battery.

Not according to the hybrid thing.

Edit - yup.

Structure.jpg

They have two of them one being what he wanted and received and the other being an external controller and battery deal.

That one doesnt have the word hybrid in it.

The one he says he received has hybrid in the name which is the one I linked and put the picture up for.

He said "Freight delivered 2 boxes last night with a bright red 8.5 x 11 inch label attached to the boxes and the label clearly reads "DEYE Hybrid AC/DC 48 V Solar Air Conditioner 9k"

So I think he got what he ordered just with the wrong name on it.

Also I didn't ask this one and should have earlier. Did you open the box and look and see what was inside? Any chance it has EG4 on it once opened?

Never mind I see where he looked at the items so that seems to fit he opened the boxes.

There seems to be no end to these type of customer service nightmares from SS.
Rule #37 :)

But in their defense (god I can't believe I'm saying this) with all of these companies buying (with a good bit of drop shipping going on too) these and rebranding them its got to happen a bunch to all of the companies.

I can't believe no one at SS caught this and told the guy he had what he needed in place of causing all of this drama to start with if this is what happened.

Wait... I do believe it. They probably never got thru the steps on the blame the customer how to sheet to get to the point of helping him.

If I'm understanding correctly.
He wanted the hybrid. And the box said hybrid.
But inside the box was the dc48 model.
Coincidentally, that's the one I want. But SS doesn't sell it. (At least not on purpose)

Back