diy solar

diy solar

Last panels going up today.

This one has been great since July of 21(price went up $7 since then), don't forget the conductive gel...

NURSAL Dual Channel EMS TENS Unit 24 Modes Muscle Stimulator for Pain Relief & Muscle Strength with 14 Pads, Rechargeable TENS Machine Pulse Massager with Storage Pouch/Pads Holder/Lanyard/Cable Ties https://a.co/d/3bs13lK

Best part is it can be recharged for free ?
Dang! That's cheap. I think I paid almost $100 for the old one I had. But then that was in the previous century so there's that ...

The s-5 were perfect for my r panel roof. I stumbled into using Heyco glands on the rising edge of the r panel rib for penetration of the wires through the roof and hiding under the low profile of the s-5/panels.

View attachment 140706
Fortunately I was able to take mine over the edge in conduit and down a steel post that holds up the front awning on the shop to the disconnect so I avoided any holes in the roof.

Awesome. As easy as my Tamarack rails were I'm having some regret staring at this photo...
I love em. But they aren't cheap. I think it was over $900 for enough to do 32 panels. I suppose mounting on rails may not be much cheaper though. I will say these go on FAST.

The other thing I did after the first round of panels was add a roof hatch. Now I can go up stairs then a short ladder inside the shop to get to the roof without worrying about falling off a 20' extension ladder. It was a splurge and I went back and forth but after the fact I'm really glad I did it. It makes it soooo easy to get access for cleaning or maintenance.

1679442342856.png

yes wooden frame was a template for panels until the rental reach forklift day. I couldn't solo lift the panels up but i wanted to start the mounts,

Last edited:
What is the source for that roof hatch?Please
I don't know. My neighbor does metal buildings and I just asked him to get one and install it. But there are several suppliers out there. I googled them before I had him get one. He got it for about the same money and only charged me cost of the labor for his guys. I think it was 1700 installed.

There is something wrong in all these pictures - what did you do with all the SNOW?
Hey! We had a hint of a frost yesterday morning. I 'bout froze to death.

I picked the last of the tomatoes out of the garden right after Christmas. Still got onions and lettuce and some green beans coming on. Planted some seeds for tomatoes and peppers and a few other things in a little shed I use for that back in February. Hopefully get some of those set out this weekend. But we did have that cold snap in January and I was breaking ice in the watering troughs for the cows several times a day. It got down to 12 degrees with a wind chill below zero. I really did 'bout freeze to death!

But yeah, it's pretty green around here now and I have to say I'm happy to see it.

Nice work. I have a similar R type metal roof and debating S-5 vs. SignatureSolar's mini rails. What rib bracket did you use, original or one of the others. Looks as if a Rib Bracket and PVkit are $14-15 each, did you find a better price or have the prices gone up? $8 for Signature's 13" mini rail and clamp, though I like the S-5 four screw attach.

Nice work. I have a similar R type metal roof and debating S-5 vs. SignatureSolar's mini rails. What rib bracket did you use, original or one of the others. Looks as if a Rib Bracket and PVkit are $14-15 each, did you find a better price or have the prices gone up? $8 for Signature's 13" mini rail and clamp, though I like the S-5 four screw attach.
Thanks. Yes, rib bracket and PVKit. I bought them all last year in March when I was first gathering supplies and paid $11.60 per complete unit. I'm not surprised they have gone up. Just looked at the SS mini rail. Certainly looks like it would work. Hard to believe I've been working on this project for over a year and only now getting close to done, but that doesn't seem to be uncommon.

Thanks. Yes, rib bracket and PVKit. I bought them all last year in March when I was first gathering supplies and paid $11.60 per complete unit. I'm not surprised they have gone up. Just looked at the SS mini rail. Certainly looks like it would work. Hard to believe I've been working on this project for over a year and only now getting close to done, but that doesn't seem to be uncommon.
Not uncommon at all.
Diy takes time. Something most of us don't have extra of.

So I finished the wire pulls and hooked everything up around noon today. It charged the batteries hella quickly. But my SA is doing something weird. It shows no PV production on MPPT 2 for Inverter 2. When I look at the LED on the inverter itself it's showing production very similar to Inverter 1 so I'm pretty sure it's functioning and maybe just not passing the data to SA. I rebooted the Pi and that didn't help. SA was doing weird stuff last week also - it showed zero production under Week on the dashboard, but it did show production for the Day and for each day in the totals. Then when it restarted on Monday it started showing the Week production again.

Anyone have any thoughts?

So I finished the wire pulls and hooked everything up around noon today. It charged the batteries hella quickly. But my SA is doing something weird. It shows no PV production on MPPT 2 for Inverter 2. When I look at the LED on the inverter itself it's showing production very similar to Inverter 1 so I'm pretty sure it's functioning and maybe just not passing the data to SA. I rebooted the Pi and that didn't help. SA was doing weird stuff last week also - it showed zero production under Week on the dashboard, but it did show production for the Day and for each day in the totals. Then when it restarted on Monday it started showing the Week production again.

Anyone have any thoughts?
New SA update, came out today.

Back