diy solar

diy solar

License fee to use a BMS in a project

sophocha

Quick question to everyone. Let's say I've created a product that will be produced and commercially distributed and I'm using a DALY BMS for monitoring the battery pack (which is part of the project). Would I need a license from the company in order to distribute the product or do I go with a open source BMS?

If you buy the product you can resell it.

Most products are sold containing products purchased from other suppliers

If you buy the product you can resell it.

Most products are sold containing products purchased from other suppliers
Here is Daly response: "the DALY logo can only use for our BMS,can't use for other product“... what do they mean exactly... I need to decipher this!

Here is Daly response: "the DALY logo can only use for our BMS,can't use for other product“... what do they mean exactly... I need to decipher this!
This seems pretty easy to decipher to me, only DALY can use their logo.

This seems pretty easy to decipher to me, only DALY can use their logo.
But I won't be using their logo on the product itself. The BMS will be hidden inside the product. I told them that and that was their reply. Maybe they thought that their logo will be visible on the product? I don't know...It seems reasonable that if you buy the product you can do whatever you want with it....

But I won't be using their logo. The BMS will be hidden inside the product. I told them that and that was their reply.
They are probably just being very cautious, don't name your product a DALY product, could you even advertise that it is using a DALY BMS inside? I have no idea over these matters.

You cannot use the "Daly" logo anywhere on your product. That likely also applies to using it in advertising and marketing materials for your product. So, when you list all of the attributes of your product in sales info, you can't say it uses a "Daly" BMS.

You cannot use the "Daly" logo anywhere on your product. That likely also applies to using it in advertising and marketing materials for your product. So, when you list all of the attributes of your product in sales info, you can't say it uses a "Daly" BMS.
You can't say it uses a daly BMS but is it legal to use it in a product and sell it commercially?

I don't think those companies make the copies. I suspect they get them unlabeled from whomever makes the Daly. Do we know if Daly is the actual manufacturer?
I don't even know. It would be interesting to know the company that makes these unlabelled BMS's. It will be great for my project.

Last edited:
You can't say it uses a daly BMS but is it legal to use it in a product and sell it commercially?
Sure. Think of all the PC manufacturers that buy components made by other companies, stick them together into a single unit, and then sell it.

Also, you can list the components (just as someone can say "this PC has an Intel or AMD processor"), but you can't claim that you're DALY or say you're representing DALY. And in any marketing material where you do name them, you probably need to call out their trademark, to make that clear. If you can, find other places that do similar things and see how they do it.

Why are you choosing the daly?

every review by Will has found issues, I read threads on here constantly on the daly failing... they are difficult to get tech support on...
they appear to have a lifetime warranty, so swapping them out when they fail seems simple enough.

just curious.

every review by Will has found issues, I read threads on here constantly on the daly failing... they are difficult to get tech support on...
they appear to have a lifetime warranty, so swapping them out when they fail seems simple enough.

just curious.

^^^ This.

Daly may not be the very last BMS I would ever use, but it's close. I suppose it all comes down to how many returns and support calls you want to deal with.

just curious.
I've tested out two version so far. One old and one new. It seems that they've ironed out their faults with the latest versions. It's not great but it's not bad either. Oh, its cheap as well. Any other bluetooth enabled BMS's out there with the same price? I would like to know my options.

Yes, legal to use their product in your product, just not legal to use it for marketing your product.
So I guess this is what they mean by "the DALY logo can only use for our BMS, can't use for other product“.

Back