diy solar

diy solar

LV5048 AC Output Mode

jimjones26

I have had my LV5048 setup for 18 months now and everything seems to be working good. The only problem I noticed last summer was the inability of the inverter to power both of the AC units in our RV (60+ amps when both running).

I was thinking today that I may have setup something wrong in the settings. I have been using L1/L2 phase output by using 2A2 for setting #28, but I only have one inverter. I have no need for 240v, as there are no 240v outlets in the RV.

My question is, what setting should I be using for #28? L2 phase output or L3 phase output? Also, does changing this setting change how I feed my main panel?

The first suggestion would be to install soft starters on your AC units to reduce start up/inrush current.

If its a 50Amp, 4 wire main panel then it is set up with L1, L2, neutral and ground bus bars for 240V service when you are plugged into utility power.
Since you don't have any 240V loads you could set the inverter to 2A0 which gives you 2 x 120V. Internally both phases are then in sync. not sure if this configuration would be more tolerant of the high AC loads.

The first suggestion would be to install soft starters on your AC units to reduce start up/inrush current.

If its a 50Amp, 4 wire main panel then it is set up with L1, L2, neutral and ground bus bars for 240V service when you are plugged into utility power.
Since you don't have any 240V loads you could set the inverter to 2A0 which gives you 2 x 120V. Internally both phases are then in sync. not sure if this configuration would be more tolerant of the high AC loads.
Thanks for the reply. I have watched a few more videos and now I am quite nervous with how I have wired my ac out panel from the inverter, and the grounding.In regards to utility power, we are completely off grid and occasionally run a generator for an hour or two in the winter.I need to do some more research, the fact that I have my panel grounded outside seems to be super dangerous according to a video from Will I just watched.

I set the inverter to 2A0, and the first time I ran the microwave the inverter shut down and gave me error code 72. "The output current of each inverter is different". 2A0 seems to be a setting when 2 or more LV5048's are running in parallel.

I set the inverter to 2A0, and the first time I ran the microwave the inverter shut down and gave me error code 72. "The output current of each inverter is different". 2A0 seems to be a setting when 2 or more LV5048's are running in parallel.
According to the diagram on page 7 of the manual I found online, a single LV5048 inverter can be configured as 120V only operation. I'm not an MPP Solar Brand user so will abstain from further suggestions.

Attachments

• LV5048 split phase manual-20191024(1).pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 5
According to the diagram on page 7 of the manual I found online, a single LV5048 inverter can be configured as 120V only operation. I'm not an MPP Solar Brand user so will abstain from further suggestions.
I appreciate your input, no problem at all.

I found this comment on a youtube video: "I believe you can put the unit in 2A0 mode (120V output, L1 and L2 in phase) and short the L1 and L2 outputs with a jumper to get full power (5000W) at 120V. This is what was recommended to me by Andy at MPPSolar and it worked."

Looks like I need to add a wire between L1 and L2 for the 2A0 mode to work with a single unit.

OK, that makes sense. Although I would not use the term "short" L1 & L2. You are actually paralleling the 2 internal inverters by connecting L1 to L2. Of course if you then change #28 back to 2A2 without removing the jumper between the legs then you have a BIG SHORT. LOL

Since I wired my service panel for 2A2, if I change to 2A0 and add a jumper to L1 and L2, would I need to change how I wired my service panel? I don't think so but I'm second guessing myself.

In order to tie the 2 legs together a jumper would have to be installed between L1 & L2 BUT the main lugs probably are not rated for more than one wire so I would not do that. The easiest way to test the configuration without changing anything would be to ADD a 2 pole, 20A breaker in the panel and connect the poles together with a #10 wire. Check if both AC units will run with this new configuration since that was the original goal.

Back