diy solar

diy solar

M8 Lug to Eve LF280K M6 hole?

AshleyL

Solar Enthusiast
After reviewing my upcoming built, I encounter one headache.
Growatt specifies the usage of SC35-8 (M8) lug, but my upcoming EVE LF280K has double hole M6.
Can I just screw the Growatt inverter M8 lug into one of the M6 hole? With all compression spring and washer?

Or do I have to get M8 to M6 adaptor?

After reviewing my upcoming built, I encounter one headache.
Growatt specifies the usage of SC35-8 (M8) lug, but my upcoming EVE LF280K has double hole M6.
Can I just screw the Growatt inverter M8 lug into one of the M6 hole? With all compression spring and washer?

Or do I have to get M8 to M6 adaptor?
What? Do you have a photo?

You should have fuses and cables between your batteries and growatt... What do you mean screwing lugs into holes?

If I had the dual terminal cells I would use a lug connected to short bus bar coming off the battery cell. That lug would be properly crimped to a short length of wire with another properly crimped lug on the other end that connects to a class t fuse. I'd then run from the class T to a disconnect, optionally and preferably I would run to a main bus before the inverter.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I've had zero caffeine this morning.

I'm sure if you search some build threads using dual terminal cells you'll get plenty of great ideas.

What? Do you have a photo?

You should have fuses and cables between your batteries and growatt... What do you mean screwing lugs into holes?

If I had the dual terminal cells I would use a lug connected to short bus bar coming off the battery cell. That lug would be properly crimped to a short length of wire with another properly crimped lug on the other end that connects to a class t fuse. I'd then run from the class T to a disconnect, optionally and preferably I would run to a main bus before the inverter.

I'm sure if you search some build threads using dual terminal cells you'll get plenty of great ideas.

Hmm.....guess I have to put two 16mm wires into 35-8 lug and crimp it with the other two end crimped with 16-6 lugs.

Yes you need more :coffee:- you forgot to also mention that a BMS might come in handy somewhere between the cell's M6 bolts and the inverter's M8 bolts ;)

Oh? That would works. Question, where do I get one?
Don't know, I'd make one with a drill and a vise.
You can use a piece of vinyl tape to transfer cell holes.
I attached a few photos of what I'm describing. The same thing would apply for the battery cell.

Attachments

• IMG_20230325_193615.jpg
    IMG_20230325_193615.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230325_133206.jpg
    IMG_20230325_133206.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230325_190335.jpg
    IMG_20230325_190335.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 10
The battery cells connected by busbars (rigid or flexible) use double M6 screws this is good.
The Take Off (-) goes to BMS which in turn goes to Pack (-) Terminal which should be M8.
The (+) goes from Batt Double Terminal to Pack single M8. *

* There is the Gotcha ! A dual screw lug is not a common thing, they exist but I have not seen any vendor provide them. There are terminals with Blank ends that can be drilled to suit the application, like this Blank Long End terminals can be had here: like this below but not drilled out.
1705839278966.png https://www.mcmaster.com/products/lugs/terminals-1~/finish-your-own-double-compression-lugs/

Others will use a double hole solid busbar and drill/attach an M8 on the other end to run the (+) wire to Pack Terminal.

The battery cells connected by busbars (rigid or flexible) use double M6 screws this is good.
The Take Off (-) goes to BMS which in turn goes to Pack (-) Terminal which should be M8.
The (+) goes from Batt Double Terminal to Pack single M8. *

* There is the Gotcha ! A dual screw lug is not a common thing, they exist but I have not seen any vendor provide them. There are terminals with Blank ends that can be drilled to suit the application, like this Blank Long End terminals can be had here: like this below but not drilled out.
View attachment 190380 https://www.mcmaster.com/products/lugs/terminals-1~/finish-your-own-double-compression-lugs/

Others will use a double hole solid busbar and drill/attach an M8 on the other end to run the (+) wire to Pack Terminal.
Nice, will order one soon.

Thank you @Steve_S .
Why the heck didn't I think of that... I completely forgot about those blank lugs.
Likewise here. Hahaha....

Back