diy solar

diy solar

Megarevo RxLNA Discussion

Man you got a lot of solar and components!! I have felt the pain of grid down for 7 day after an ice storm, then nice Sunny days after the storm with micro doing nothing.

That is no fun!

Thank you for sharing with us your solar set up, and experience's so far!

I really want to feed our micro's into a Megarevo, to charge a small battery . To help off set the peak time our utility has recently imposed.

Next year more battery storage, and hopefully ad a small DC array.
Hopes and dreams......
Like I wrote earlier.
I think it is best to have the micros connected through a double pole relay.
The relay is powered by the grid and as long as the grid is up, you would like to have the micros connected to your main breaker panel, backfeeding to the grid.
Now you can maximize the PV strings to your MR.
When the grid goes away, the relay looses power, and switches the micros over to the gen input of the MR.
While switching, the micros will loose at least a few cycles so I hope they will go through the 5 minute "scan for grid" phase (they will find the MR generated power) and then start backfeeding.
If the MR should see the extra power coming in, batteries are full, not enough load to get rid of the power of the micros it should use a combination of freq shifting, voltage changes to convince the micros to stop producing full power. If you have older micros (like my Enphase M215) as soon as the frequency will be > 2 Hz difference, they will switch off. If you have iq7/8 micro's they will modulate and start producing less starting at 0.5Hz deviation from the standard frequency.
That would be my goal.
The only problem I can think off is if the relay switches too fast, not proviking the 5 minute timeout.
In that case a time delayed relay should be used with eg 5 second delay between switching status.

Only one way to find out.

Roughly $800 for. Auto transfer switch, I can handle that if I need there is a 75% chance this will all work?. If this is the same as the double pole relay your speaking of?

The MR settings would have to be corrected for a grid down situation? Like different settings than trying to do peak time shift? Or when it senses no grid power from ac side, and will hopefully know to modulate the micro's?

I know I'm asking a lot of somewhat silly questions, but I want a good understanding before I order the unit.

I already paid too much for the installed system we have now, because of lack of research on my part.

Thanks again this is very helpful , Eric R.

Roughly $800 for. Auto transfer switch, I can handle that if I need there is a 75% chance this will all work?. If this is the same as the double pole relay your speaking of?
yes
ATS == double pole relay with some extra electronics/features.

The MR settings would have to be corrected for a grid down situation? Like different settings than trying to do peak time shift? Or when it senses no grid power from ac side, and will hopefully know to modulate the micro's?

I know I'm asking a lot of somewhat silly questions, but I want a good understanding before I order the unit.

I already paid too much for the installed system we have now, because of lack of research on my part.

Thanks again this is very helpful , Eric R.
I have 2 AIO hybrid inverters currently: MR & the LuxPower.
The LP has a 200 Amp relay pass through.
In that case you can hookup the micros constantly to the GEN input on the inverter, no need for an ATS.
The LP will disconnect *everything* from the grid including your micro inverters when there is a grid failure.
It is 12kW AC (vs 8kW AC on the MR) rated.
It has true support compared to the MR,
Double the price for 50% more power, but you won't need the ATS (plus installation).
If I were you I would seriously consider the LP instead of the MR.

The LP is sold under different labels including EG.
For threads with more info:
&

Oh gee thanks, a whole nother inverter to research. This will help drive my wife nuts!

Do you already have the LP in operation?
Really Man, you seem to have all the cool gadgets, do you have an electric Maserati as well?

Seriously though thanks for your suggestions!

Eric R.

Do you already have the LP in operation?
I had it in production for a couple of months, with PV & grid tied only.
Mainly experimenting at the moment.
Really Man, you seem to have all the cool gadgets, do you have an electric Maserati as well?
I have driven 150k+ miles electric since 2010 (5 ev's so far, ordered my 6th on earth day)
Nothing exotic. I tend to go for bang for the buck.
Seriously though thanks for your suggestions!
I love making other people's life more complicated ;-)

I started reading the tread last night, got 14 pages on before I fell asleep on the couch.
Zzzzz.
So much better firmware? Also the support by itself is worth a few hundred $ more.
The information screen is far more appealing, when it doesn't look like it's straight out of 1985.

With whatever hybrid we choose, I have the obstacle if the ct's having to stretch 130 feet to our main house panel where the meter is.

I have driven 150k+ miles electric since 2010 (5 ev's so far, ordered my 6th on earth day)
Nothing exotic. I tend to go for bang for the buck.
Not a Tesla in the 6 EV's I'm guessing. I see them all over in the area I live in.
I myself have never even driven a EV.
My life style and choice's still require some fossil fuels.

I started reading the tread last night, got 14 pages on before I fell asleep on the couch.
Zzzzz.
So much better firmware? Also the support by itself is worth a few hundred $ more.
The information screen is far more appealing, when it doesn't look like it's straight out of 1985.

With whatever hybrid we choose, I have the obstacle if the ct's having to stretch 130 feet to our main house panel where the meter is.
That is not a problem since a CT uses current (milliamps) and is not influenced by voltage drop.
See https://docs.openenergymonitor.org/electricity-monitoring/ct-sensors/extending-ct-cable.html
I don't think 130 ft will be a problem, but I would solder the extension cables, do not use plugs!
Not a Tesla in the 6 EV's I'm guessing. I see them all over in the area I live in.
I myself have never even driven a EV.
My life style and choice's still require some fossil fuels.
We had 2 x Toyota Rav4EV's which was a tesla motor/battery in a Toyota vehicle.
Didn't have Fast Charging (did buy the 3rd party aftermarket upgrade).

Zzzzz.

Not sure if 130 ft is too much, but it is absolutely NOT irrelevant. I would be skeptical.

I don't think 130 ft will be a problem, but I would solder the extension cables, do not use plugs
Oh that's a relief thanks, I will check out the link you provided me for more research. This will aid in the overloading of my tiny brain.

is not a problem since a CT uses current (milliamps) and is not influenced by voltage drop.
For the love of Pete.....of course I can't use the 6 wire phone like cable that I already have pulled through the insulated PEX from barn to house.

( In the word of Forest Gump, I'm not a smart man).
So pulling through the conduit that houses the wiring that powers the barn/ on sunny days powers the house. I should really consider a shielded type of cable.

I'm running 2 in parallel for about a year now. I am off-grid. Are you using BMS/Lithium battery or are you set to Lead-Acid? Does the inverter batt voltage show the same voltage your physically measure at the terminals? What is your actual measured PV input voltage?
I'm trying for three in parallel. I'm hoping it works in split phase, so that I can try the three phase that I see in one of the manuals. I'm using lithium batteries with BMS the only issue I'm consistently having is that the units will send power, they just charge the battery and bypass grid power.

Thanks everyone for contributing to the communal knowledge of this nearly awesome and cost effective AIO!

I'm about to pull the trigger on 3x 8kw units from Alibaba. Wondering if anyone has any experience positive or negative with any retailers they would like to share? I understand with any reseller the communication and support will leave much to be desired but it see this venture possible with the community support. I don't see the additional cost of purchasing through any North American distributors to be worth it.

Hopefully I can get these running in 3 phase mode eventually, but that might be a lot to ask at this point, so for now I'm good with 2 units in split phase parallel, and a third hot/cold spare. I'm going to be setting up a standalone current/voltage monitoring system on all electrical connections so hopefully that data can help troubleshoot odd behaviors and streamline bug fixes for us all. I've got 13kW of PV already, and 30kWh LiFePo eG4 rack on the way. Completely offgrid with a dirty THD generator which I hope not to use! It seems the 10kW MR is newer, anyone get one of those units yet? I imagine they are very similar with just beefier inverting components.

To those of you with months of experience with this unit so far - would you do it again today or shell out 3-5x more for something more established with better support? Thanks and looking forward to contributing.
Hey I'm kinda trying the same thing. Have you made any progress towards three in parallel. I've ran two in parallel for a while now. But I hope to do three in parallel and hopefully try 3 phase as well

Hello. Someone has the original version of the Megarevo 8kw. The one that brings from the factory. Thanks in advance.

What are your thoughts of Will Prowse’s videos on the EG4 version of this inverter? Ignore if this was brought up already in this thread. I had no where near the issues he is having.

What are your thoughts of Will Prowse’s videos on the EG4 version of this inverter? Ignore if this was brought up already in this thread. I had no where near the issues he is having.
I am still using it, it is functioning at a basic level.
This is based on my own experience, not on Will's video btw:

As soon as I want to do some fancy stuff I run into limitations.
Communication with MR is a farce.
Language problems, getting no answers to specific questions. MR stops responding all together, even after sending followup reminders.

I stopped advising this unit to others.
I am advising to use LuxPower instead.
As long as it works, it will stay in my setup.
Would not buy again :-(

Yes I did a firware update a couple of days got some new features with no manual or idea what the mean.
Inverter keeps auto restart every morning

Back