diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

A person could purchase a $50 tablet, mount it on the wall (on a charger) within bluetooth range and ensure you always have a charged device connected to The One. As a side benefit the screen is larger than my phone and I might actually be able to see it!
Again, I'm not saying that you can't work around the situation.
I would prefer to not have a situation that needs to be worked around.

2 cents. What are you going to do when the factory screen fails outside? I would much rather have a $50 tablet that I have to replace. Or the old plug in type with usb.

2 cents. What are you going to do when the factory screen fails outside? I would much rather have a $50 tablet that I have to replace. Or the old plug in type with usb.
The issue is software compatibility if it is a native app. If it was simply a web based interface there would be no issue.

Realizing this is off topic, but at this point in the conversation I'm a bit less concerned. Basically, because sometimes you need to vent / gain access to a specific area, not just "somewhere in the roof". But we can discuss that somewhere else in another thread. I get that RSD can be overkill at times. But then again, codes are often designed to protect at the margins. Anyway, back to normal programming, eh?

"Yes sir. The problem you are having is that your tablet automatically upgraded to the latest Apple OS, and it's not compatible with our app any more. We have a new app but it won't work with your inverter; the software is too old. But you can upgrade your inverter's software through the app that . . . . uh . . . . let me escalate this and we will call you back."
I dont have the tablet connected to the internet so it cant autoupdate. If it works today then it will work tomorrow.

But of course there will always be something.... a person could trip over their dog, break a foot and not even be able to walk to where the equpiment is located. This may have happened to me a couple years ago ;)

I dont have the tablet connected to the internet so it cant autoupdate. If it works today then it will work tomorrow.
Did this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Inverters connect to a LAN (next door at the Solar Power Plant) via Solar Assistant,
put the cheap tablet on the wall in the laundry room in the house on a wall wart plug,
tablet only connects to the LAN,
The Official Solar Power Tester can see the SOC and incoming solar on the tablet,
50% SOC and some sun = green light for big loads like electric Dryer.
Internet is not required.

Bonus feature:
out of town last week,
text message comes in 'would like to plan laundry tomorrow but looks like rain all day, SOC 58% now'
I go to my smart plug settings - click schedule, for the smart-plug that controls the "on" relay control for the EG4 Chargverter, set it to close relay during off peak ToU overnight for a few hours,
text message back - "tomorrow will be no problem for laundry"
all good.

Again, I'm not saying that you can't work around the situation.
I would prefer to not have a situation that needs to be worked around.
Isnt the entire point of DIY to find solutions to situations?

It seems like a person who wants to hang a dozen Growatts on the wall would be ok with putting a tablet on the wall too ;)

So how’s the discussion on the MidNite forum/other forums?

With the lack of YouTube marketing there’s only the two videos and this unwieldy thread. I feel like MidNite needs to hire an EE or technical writing grad student to summarize this thread 🤣

Or maybe there will be a couple of build threads next within a few months

So how’s the discussion on the MidNite forum/other forums?

With the lack of YouTube marketing there’s only the two videos and this unwieldy thread. I feel like MidNite needs to hire an EE or technical writing grad student to summarize this thread 🤣

Or maybe there will be a couple of build threads next within a few months
Im pretty sure MNS has the Tech guys... what they need is a Marketing Guy.

Isnt the entire point of DIY to find solutions to situations?

It seems like a person who wants to hang a dozen Growatts on the wall would be ok with putting a tablet on the wall too ;)
I have several tablets mounted around the property, to view my system on Solar Assistant.
But, that's a convenience. Not a requirement for the inverter to function or be accessible.
Everything in my system can stand on its own.
Solar Assistant just makes it more convenient.

I agree.... But having a marketing guy or even a company doing it on a contract could conceivably lead to more sales, more income, more longeveity.
In the case of Midnite at least they take a long time between products. They aren't producing a different inverter each year etc. They have the aio, and then the Rosie/Barcelona/hawkes bay seperates for the off gridders, where the most you have to lift is 41 pounds for the Rosie.

The b17 has been in the works for nearly 10 years I think. Slow and steady, no mass public beta testing. Just how it should be.

Im pretty sure MNS has the Tech guys... what they need is a Marketing Guy.
The mismarketing of this inverter has been extremely frustrating.

There is not even a video from midnite itself about the inverter. The thing is for sale and They haven't even created their own marketing video!

Sadly , very sadly, I feel that this inverter could go the way of the Rosie. High spec, owned by only a handful of people.

Also, does midnite have exclusivity with Senergy? If someone else like eg4 starts importing a similar version at a lower price point then it would for sure be the death knell for the mn1.

Last edited:
In the case of Midnite at least they take a long time between products.
That could be a good thing if they are improving the existing product

They aren't producing a different inverter each year etc.
They still have "coming soon" features on the Rosie that still haven't come. You still can't use CTs with them.

They have the aio, and then the Rosie/Barcelona/hawkes bay seperates for the off gridders, where the most you have to lift is 41 pounds for the Rosie.

If I were off grid I'd rather lift a 137lb sunny island or victron quattro than a 41lb Rosie. That's a selling point against the Rosie
The b17 has been in the works for nearly 10 years I think. Slow and steady, no mass public beta testing. Just how it should be.
Don't hold your breath.

I don't think I've ever seen more weight listed as a positive for an inverter. More weight for shipping, more weight for mounting, more likelihood of injuries.

I don't think I've ever seen more weight listed as a positive for an inverter. More weight for shipping, more weight for mounting, more likelihood of injuries.
It's one of the first things I look at when I look at an inverter spec sheet. If one inverter is 2x the weight of another one, why? More cooling, more capacitors? Heavier transformer?

It's one of the first things I look at when I look at an inverter spec sheet. If one inverter is 2x the weight of another one, why? More cooling, more capacitors? Heavier transformer?
HF silicon versus old school jumbo transformer/h-bridge design.

Completely different design philosophies.

diy solar

diy solar
Back