diy solar

diy solar

Midnite Solar Announced their new 10kw AIO at Intersolar Today

Looks neat! Let's see some testing of the huge surge capacity on unbalanced legs.

I would disagree that the b17 system is an AIO. It's the absolute opposite of an AIO. It's a modular power system that allows for hot swapping SCC and inverter modules, and expansion. It's like seperates on steroids, no need to reconfigure via ve.config etc, just plug another module in if you need more power. Something fails, pull it out and ship it for return, or the solar installer has a spare sitting in his van and you are back up and running with redundancy.
Agreed, reminds me of the 70's stereo wars.
Looks neat! Let's see some testing of the huge surge capacity on unbalanced legs.
Yes! I second the motion! Evidence of midnites American made rosie and b17 surge capabilities exist. Now let us see if they can do it with the one? In addition to the fancy features, if it can start a legit 5hp shop compressor I might get back in line. but only after it proves itself out in the wild.

Took a bit of searching but located this b17 air compressor test vid from a couple years back. It really caught my attention at the time and peaked my interest in midnites modular design. No brushes in this pump! 5HP 1PH 230VAC Baldor industrial motor! Will not find that at any big box store!
I have a small machine shop with a similar compressor. Blast media cabinet requires over 15 CFM. Not holding my breath anymore but if midnite brings this to market I will jump all over it!
That compressor has an unloader.

I own a 15 hp 3 phase (in my old shop) and when the unloader kicks out, you can sure tell the difference. In my current main shop I have a 5 hp Champion I purchased 37 years ago used. Has been thru 2 motors and rebuilt the compressor a few years ago. It has an unloader just like the one in the video.

The best test is starting something like a large HVAC compressor.

Yes, compressors have unloaders, and A/C bleed down over a longer time.

I think if a compressor was slow to start, it would begin to build backpressure again, so powering up a second time should be a good test. I believe a slow start was mentioned in another post about using undersize inverter; this bank of 5x B17 was not undersized.

Well pumps - they have a check valve, so do they start against head? The check valve might be on discharge side of pump, but everything immersed so no chance to release water.

On our website, we take pride in shooting our own photos and using the highest quality possible. It’s perfect, our photographer is here for the arrival of the first batch before I get my dirty hands on it.
I want my dirty hands on this inverter. When I came across the specs, it checked all the boxes for me. Can't wait to see reviews.

Well pumps - they have a check valve, so do they start against head? The check valve might be on discharge side of pump, but everything immersed so no chance to release water.
Yes, but most are centrifugal impeller design so they do not experience startup loading quite as bad as positive deplacement pumps. But when you have a column of water to lift (and any pressurization afterwards) it comes down to the old .433psi per foot height regardless of the amount of check valves in place.

Yes, but most are centrifugal impeller design so they do not experience startup loading quite as bad as positive deplacement pumps. But when you have a column of water to lift (and any pressurization afterwards) it comes down to the old .433psi per foot height regardless of the amount of check valves in place.
Downhole submersible pumps are the answer instead of having to do a large suction lift. Discharge pressure is going to be why you run a larger count of impellers on a multistage design.

I have one and it has performed just fine..........

I like it. I own JBD/Overkill, Daly, JK.
I was a Daly guy for a while, until I installed 4 or 5 in my own and friends installs, and they all failed the same way, FETs stuck open on a LVD and let the cells go down to less than 1v.

Never again.

I’ve only had 2 Daly’s and one of them failed before I was even able to use it.

I like JBD. And JK makes a nice BMS as well.

I was a Daly guy for a while, until I installed 4 or 5 in my own and friends installs, and they all failed the same way, FETs stuck open on a LVD and let the cells go down to less than 1v.

Never again.
I have mine in the camper, inverter is only on when needing AC power. Mine does disconnect on LVD, I've tested it. Possibly you didn't have settings correct? I also bought the display and this allows close monitoring.

Last winter I had the camper in the back shed and it was about 0°F. I went out looking for something in the camper and hit a light switch, nothing. Pulled truck into shop, let it warm up overnight. Checked settings and here I found it had a low temp discharge disconnect that was set at 5°C. I guess it did what it was set to do. I've changed it since.

Now, having said all of that, when I purchased it several years ago, I oversized it by twice the expected load it would ever see. I'm a firm believer in not pushing things to the limit when it comes to China made products, I will derate by 50%.

I have mine in the camper, inverter is only on when needing AC power. Mine does disconnect on LVD, I've tested it. Possibly you didn't have settings correct? I also bought the display and this allows close monitoring.

Last winter I had the camper in the back shed and it was about 0°F. I went out looking for something in the camper and hit a light switch, nothing. Pulled truck into shop, let it warm up overnight. Checked settings and here I found it had a low temp discharge disconnect that was set at 5°C. I guess it did what it was set to do. I've changed it since.

Now, having said all of that, when I purchased it several years ago, I oversized it by twice the expected load it would ever see. I'm a firm believer in not pushing things to the limit when it comes to China made products, I will derate by 50%.
Settings were correct. Even the app showed the MOSFETS turn off, but it was still discharging. Mosfets had failed.

I want to see this connected to a Ruixu Lithi2-16...
I can say that my team told me they would not be dragging another 300LBS battery up the stairs ever again...so someone else may need to be the one to test it.

It will be a mute point though, because once Midnite's battery is fully released, it wouldn't make sense to choose any other battery, since Midnite is only going to do UL9540 certification on their own batteries - and that's before we even get into the price point conversation...

Very good video sir. The Green lee punch set is nice and that's what I've used at work along with various ratchets, hydraulics and battery powered sets. For those here that need one for occasional use I got a no name set on Amazon for home and it works well for the price.

Really looking forward to the midnight rack batteries for another smaller system. Hoping they are priced as the rumors suggest. Any concept on time line? 😁

diy solar

diy solar
Back