diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

I just tried the firmware update and it appears to have bricked my 3000TL. The font panel display is dark and the fan(s) are running at high speed. I followed the instructions as best I could and don't think that I made a mistake. The flashing software said that it had completed successfully.
There's a little blurb at the end of the instructions PDF that states that it might fail and to try to flash it again after a full power off but so far no dice.
After more troubleshooting, it appears that the problem is that the 3000TL LVM (24v) in a state where it is not connecting to the ISP tool (flashing tool). The ISP Tool is just looping through "Send: Start!" endlessly. I don't know if I can recover as it's not clear if there is something that I can do to the inverter to get it to ACK the ISP tool to start try the re-flash or return to factory settings.

For reference, I'm using everything listed in here: https://watts247.com/manuals/gw/Firmware/ I have an email into watts247.

I didn't realize that I was beta testing this.

Key takeaway: Please be careful.

After more troubleshooting, it appears that the problem is that the 3000TL LVM (24v) in a state where it is not connecting to the ISP tool (flashing tool). The ISP Tool is just looping through "Send: Start!" endlessly. I don't know if I can recover as it's not clear if there is something that I can do to the inverter to get it to ACK the ISP tool to start try the re-flash or return to factory settings.

For reference, I'm using everything listed in here: https://watts247.com/manuals/gw/Firmware/ I have an email into watts247.

I didn't realize that I was beta testing this.

Key takeaway: Please be careful.
I found the steps needed to do a "factory reset" but it involves the inverter display screen...as noted above my unit's display is not turning on. :(

As of about a month ago there were two .bin files in that firmware download at Ian's site. I downgraded from the one dated 2020 07 07 to the one with the earlier date 2020 03 16. The only thing that seemed to change, however, is now at least the unit did charge up past 54v, at least for one cycle. I've my doubts all is well, but will continue testing through more cycles and see if it successfully does the transfers from utility/solar/battery according to my settings (versus whatever it wants to do).

btw that software patching utility (ISP Tool) has been updated from v.4.16 to v.4.20, but also does not have a function that can extract the firmware from the unit as far as I could tell.

Update: I found a new firmware update on Ian's site dated 20210106 (i.e., Jan6 '21) and have loaded it. Currently testing it. It still does not fix the beep problem.

Joe, yeah I've been using PVKeeper2.0 the whole time for monitoring. Seems stable.
He defiantly just uploaded that to his site recently.. like really recent. This also leaves me to think that it isn't a complete erase and rewrite. Are we sure that we aren't suppose to upload the bin files in date sequence to ensure everything needed to work properly is saved in the computer properly. I mean right now we are skipping updates and I'm now not sure if that is a good idea.....OR does the latest firmware have everything in it to run properly?

Please keep us updated on if that firmware works best. Thanks

Last edited:
I just tried the firmware update and it appears to have bricked my 3000TL. The font panel display is dark and the fan(s) are running at high speed. I followed the instructions as best I could and don't think that I made a mistake. The flashing software said that it had completed successfully.
There's a little blurb at the end of the instructions PDF that states that it might fail and to try to flash it again after a full power off but so far no dice.
Oh wow bummer. Did you do the update with all loads removed per the instructions? Another question that may seem unrelated, but have you ever been successful communicating with the Growatt using PVKeeper on that same computer you attempted the flash? This would be a pretty good indication you have all the com port settings and drivers properly installed, and the cable/interface are working. PVKeeper may also let you know more about the state of your unit than the display.

The "factory reset" you speak of, are you referring to the one where you press the "up" and "down" buttons and enter some numbers to reset to factory default settings? I think that's what they mean by factory reset, just a reset to all the default settings.
If you get ahold of Ian, I read where he was able to get a user connected with the manuf via WiFi dongle to reset the guys unit, from China. Maybe that will do the trick, if you have the Shine dongle.

He defiantly just uploaded that to his site recently.. like really recent. This also leaves me to think that it isn't a complete erase and rewrite. Are we sure that we aren't suppose to upload the bin files in date sequence to ensure everything needed to work properly is saved in the computer properly. I mean right now we are skipping updates and I'm now not sure if that is a good idea.....OR does the latest firmware have everything in it to run properly?

Please keep us updated on if that firmware works best. Thanks
hmmm... I've never heard the updates are cumulative. I assumed they are complete rewrite. Didn't even cross my mind actually.

I'm not ready to say everything is working fine, but the update with the latest date seems to be working better regarding charging as compared to my initial problem where the unit would not charge past 54v. Will post if I notice any more issues.

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I'll keep everyone updated.
  • Yes...I updated everything per the instructions and had the load removed and only on battery.
  • Yes...I was able to get the PVKeeper setup and working before this. That was what lead me to go for the firmware update as I noticed that the battery type setting was set to AGM and that there wasn't a LifePo option. I've sense found out how to configure things.
  • PVKeeper no longer works after the Flashing problem.
  • I don't have a WiFi dongle...
The flash seemed to go without a hitch. I did have to make a call on order as there were 2 firmware updates. I did the F2809 first...it beeps every second as it is flashing. The family wasn't happy earlier today :) ... I then flashed the F030. In both cases I waited for the "all done" prompt per the PDF and it restarted itself. After the second flash and its restart, it was apparent that something was gravely wrong as the cooling fans were going bonkers and the front display didn't light up.

I was able to contact Ian via email and he has been very helpful in troubleshooting ideas. I tried all the previous firmware/ISP Tool combinations, different PCs and USB cables (I luckily had a few shielded ones in my hoard). The USB cable that comes with the Inverter wasn't shielded.

If I had to guess...I'm pretty sure that the flash corrupted the boot sequence and now the inverter is not ack'ing the ISP Flash tool or PVKeeper. Without this handshake, I think that I will not be able to get it back up and working.

Sucks you can't get it back to life. Hopefully Ian can help you out somehow.

You mentioned you have Li-Po? and have the settings figured out. If you can, I'd be interested to see your settings to check them against mine. Thanks.

Thanks for the comments and ideas. I'll keep everyone updated.
  • Yes...I updated everything per the instructions and had the load removed and only on battery.
  • Yes...I was able to get the PVKeeper setup and working before this. That was what lead me to go for the firmware update as I noticed that the battery type setting was set to AGM and that there wasn't a LifePo option. I've sense found out how to configure things.
  • PVKeeper no longer works after the Flashing problem.
  • I don't have a WiFi dongle...
The flash seemed to go without a hitch. I did have to make a call on order as there were 2 firmware updates. I did the F2809 first...it beeps every second as it is flashing. The family wasn't happy earlier today :) ... I then flashed the F030. In both cases I waited for the "all done" prompt per the PDF and it restarted itself. After the second flash and its restart, it was apparent that something was gravely wrong as the cooling fans were going bonkers and the front display didn't light up.

I was able to contact Ian via email and he has been very helpful in troubleshooting ideas. I tried all the previous firmware/ISP Tool combinations, different PCs and USB cables (I luckily had a few shielded ones in my hoard). The USB cable that comes with the Inverter wasn't shielded.

If I had to guess...I'm pretty sure that the flash corrupted the boot sequence and now the inverter is not ack'ing the ISP Flash tool or PVKeeper. Without this handshake, I think that I will not be able to get it back up and working.
I think you are trying to load the firmware for the "ES" model..

This link should lead you to the correct page( https://watts247.com/manuals/gw/Firmware/24 and 48P firmware/ ) , once there download " 3KLV GW502.8....."
That file has only one " .bin " file

I think you are trying to load the firmware for the "ES" model..

This link should lead you to the correct page( https://watts247.com/manuals/gw/Firmware/24 and 48P firmware/ ) , once there download " 3KLV GW502.8....."
That file has only one " .bin " file
That could be the problem...The closest "ES" model is SPF 3500-5000 ES and so the "3K LV" in the name is potentially misleading. I also suspect that there aren't any safeguards in the flashing software.

From Ian: "for lifepo4, use battery type USR2., set this up from the LCD display, not the software, the software will show AGM regardless."

Latest update: After many other failed recovery attempts, we are trying a replacement CPU board. I should receive it later this week. Wish me luck.

The New CPU board was installed. I now see the front screen lights up but immediately hit Fault 56 and a loud constant alarm. My BMS has the battery at 59% @ 26.44V. The manual says that this is a poor battery connection...but this is highly doubtful as I hadn't touched any battery connections. So one step forward, two steps back.

@Davey Switch to use, not use2, Error 56 sais "the communications line is not plugged in" if on use try use2, always only fire up inverter with Battery 1st, then grid and so on. Should also be using a resistor to charge inverter, just some thoughts. If I throw my breaker on without pressing resistor switch it knocks out my Lifepo4 battery Bms's out, Joe

Last edited:
@Davey Also found this reset sequence you might could try, never used it??
Would definitely recheck all connections that were remove to change control board.
You have before and after pics of control board? Look at yellow labels on both boards to make sure they match.
1616793084259.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations!

I walked through the bring up again and I actually see Fault 4 for a few seconds, then Fault 56 and if it is not on AC too, it flashes Fault 4 and then it then shuts itself down.

When I look up fault 4 and 56 in the manual it states:
4= "Low battery"
56 = "Battery is not connected well or fuse is burnt" and What to do: "If battery is connected well, please return to repair center"

I wonder if it thinks it is a 48v vs. and 24v?

The display option for #10 is set to 4 and so I think that it is 4X12v and so 48V. It won't let me change it to 2. :(

Display option #12 is set to 46v and it won't let me save a change of 23v. I'm pretty sure that this is the problem. :(

Maybe flashing the firmware can address this but that's what got me into this mess in the first place. I'm waiting on Ian's reply.

Yeah, sounds like they may have sent you the wrong board. btw I have a 48v unit and that setting 10 is stuck at 4 as well. Can't change it.

Back