diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

Good news....I got a new 24v CPU board from Ian and I'm back up and working although I'm unable to connect with PVKeeper. I suspect that the COM board was toasted in the firmware flash attempt.

Ian was a great help in this entire process.

Good news....I got a new 24v CPU board from Ian and I'm back up and working although I'm unable to connect with PVKeeper. I suspect that the COM board was toasted in the firmware flash attempt.

Ian was a great help in this entire process.

Did you ever determine whether the first replacement board was not 24v?

I’m pretty sure that was the case. The new CPU board shows 2 vs. 4 in option #10.

Are y'all using PV Keeper 2.0 from Ian @ watts247, it's much more stable, Joe.
View attachment 41742
I wonder if this "PV Keeper 2.0" will work with the MPPsolar LV2424-MSD units. The LV2424-MSD is pretty similar to the Growatt. But of course, subtle differences and chips on the main board within might make the PV Keeper 2.0 not compatible with the MPPsolar unit. What do y'all think / know? Thanks!

I wish these Firmware updates came with a sheet explaining what was fixed or added. Otherwise we do not know what are we installing.

I wish these Firmware updates came with a sheet explaining what was fixed or added. Otherwise we do not know what are we installing.

Ditto!! Growatt makes some impressive inverters for the price. Availability of documentation and information is not so great...

If you guys are thinking of using an old PC/laptop it might be worth having a look at using something like Home Assistant (Hassio) to make more use of the PC/Laptop. It is a bit more work but would allow you to record the data into DB's and graphs etc as well as give you a home automation system.

The other option could be to look at integrating into PVOutput.org which is awesome but it doesn't look super simple with the growatt.

I am using home assistant to pull my data from my inverter and then using nodered to push that data up into PVOutput.org.
How are you able to connect your Growatt to Home Assistant?
I've been trying this for weeks now but no luck. None of the RS485 ports on the inverter sends data so I'm unable to get data from it. Also mine does have a serial connection but looks like a D-SUB for connecting other units in parallel

How are you able to connect your Growatt to Home Assistant?
I've been trying this for weeks now but no luck. None of the RS485 ports on the inverter sends data so I'm unable to get data from it. Also mine does have a serial connection but looks like a D-SUB for connecting other units in parallel

I don't have one but I did a load of reading before I purchase a different product.

I would guess it is probably modbus on the RS485, which inverter do you have ?

Update on my growatts. After many configuration attempts on the wifi dongle. as others have noted you have to ensure that the updload site is server-us.growatt.com as the default is in correct.

In addition growatt software installed on the dongle will not except a null input for password. if you run a open WIFI point with no password, it would not accept nothing. This resulted in me having to enable the guest wifi and then put a psswd on it and configure the wifi dongles to use it.

My complaints so far is that I can not see a combined information for all my inverters at my "plant" on either the website or shine phone app. Second is that you cant configure the information shown. battery voltage is way more informative to me about what my battery pack is doing than its best guess at what percent charge the battery is to nearest 25% (really?!?!?!)

I don't have one but I did a load of reading before I purchase a different product.

I would guess it is probably modbus on the RS485, which inverter do you have ?
Mine is this one in 24V: Growatt SPF-3000 lvm 24 volts.
I got the WiFi dongle and I'm able to see the information on server.growatt.com, but I was hopping to be able to extract the data by RS485 using MODBUS, it's a lot faster and not cloud-dependant, but I tried several configurations and was unable to get not even a single bit out of the port.

Mine is this one in 24V: Growatt SPF-3000 lvm 24 volts.
I got the WiFi dongle and I'm able to see the information on server.growatt.com, but I was hopping to be able to extract the data by RS485 using MODBUS, it's a lot faster and not cloud-dependant, but I tried several configurations and was unable to get not even a single bit out of the port.
PV Keeper 2.0 logs data as long as it's open and running, via 485 port

You have a pic of screen - screenshot?

Update - Solar assist is working on adding "Popular Growatt" to there list, (4 months) hooked up my SPF-6000T-DVM to raspberry pi4b and let them capture data, also sent them the Growatt - Growatt PV Inverter Modbus RS485 RTU Protocol doc, also am testing the new PV Keeper 2.0a - received from Growatt today, so far so good, stable and shows more data than v2.0 from 2 months ago, waiting for sun to come up to see if "charge current/amps" populates, will keep you posted, can send you file whatsapp me search Joe Boykey or can attach it in PM, Joe.
1624531029864.png

Last edited:
I have also hooked up a Pi and allowed Pierre (Solar Assistant) to capture data from my Growatt 12k and they are working on seeing what they can do with that. Hopefully in a few weeks Solar Assistant will be able to offer support for the Growatt 12k also.

Yep he's a good person, easy to work with, fingers crossed, hopefully the Growat protocal doc will further help, he said he could do it in a week, BUT other work will make it 4 weeks, Joe.

Back