diy solar

diy solar

Monitoring software for Growatt-MPP Solar inverters

I believe the only option is with the USB interface right now. Don't think it makes much difference in the end, pretty sure all the I/O signals come from the same chip in the inverter. (using the CP210X driver, which is for that chip made by Silicone Laboratories) USB, RS485 and RS232 are all serial data formats so there is no advantage to one over the other for purposes of monitoring a Growatt inverter.

After looking at Solar-Assistant closely and verifying the standard release now supports Growatt, I got the software. I ordered a RasPi 3B+ with case, SD card and power supply from amazon for $79, it will be here tomorrow. Solar-Assistant is light years ahead of anything offered by Growatt and well worth the money.
Hopefully, I'll be testing it tonight myself. Assuming I can connect my Pi Zero to the inverter. I assume the cable you are referring to is the cable that actually came with the Growatt unit for connecting it to a PC?

Hopefully, I'll be testing it tonight myself. Assuming I can connect my Pi Zero to the inverter. I assume the cable you are referring to is the cable that actually came with the Growatt unit for connecting it to a PC?
Correct, thats the cable. DO post back with a report.

Correct, thats the cable. DO post back with a report.
Ok, so the initial setup was insanely easy, very much plug and play ... the web-based interface is good.

The issue I am having is trying to get it to work in Home Assistant ... for some reason, auto-discovery does not appear to be working for me ... and I'm such a noob with MQTT that I don't know how to get the data into HA manually using MQTT.

I am currently running the DIYBMSv4 and uses its MQTT output with 0 issues and I am worried that getting Solar Assistant to work with MQTT might screw up my DIY BMS MQTT.

@derekisastro This did it for me, Joe.
Thanks for the info ... I am assuming that that will indeed work for me too ... I fear though, that when I change my current broker designation, I will then lose 'access' to the information that I currently receive from the DIYBMS v4 I am also running (and would not use the same broker/IP address that the solar assist does).

I'll update when/if I test this.

Cheers,

D.

I bought solar assistant software and a raspi to run it on a few weeks ago. Although it does function a lot better than PVkeeper it is not fully implemented yet, you cannot change parameters on the inverter for example and some of the graphs are not active. The worst thing I have seen is that the battery SOC indicators/graphs are very inaccurate for my install. I contacted Pierre who sells/wrote solar assistant and he told me all their development was done with lithium batteries, that is why I get poor readings with AGM. Of course this is not mentioned on their website for the software. I inquired if there were any plans to support AGM batteries better but never received a reply ( I read that as a NO). Although lithiums are naturally preferred, there are still a LOT of flooded and AGM battery installs in service out there.

On my Growatt SPF5000 ES off grid inverter Solar assistant shows a constant power flow being drawn from the grid, it fluctuates up and down depending on the load on the inverter BUT there is NO actual power being drawn from the grid, it is a false indication. I would bet this extraneous grid power is being reported from the inverter due to noise and the PVkeeper program digitally filters that parameter so it does not indicate false use. Solar Assistant appears to report the raw data, with no filtering, thus the false grid consumption readings. This is nothing major, once you know its a false indication you simply ignore it. Naturally it would be better if the false indication was not present.

Solar Assistant runs just fine with no crashes which is a big step ahead of PVkeeper, poor support for non-lithium batteries is a big minus. I am posting this for the benefit of anyone considering the software that has non-lithium batteries so they are not surprised like I was. Its anyone's guess when the remainder of growatt support, like parameter setting and the blank graphs, will be implemented, no response to that question from Pierre either.

Last edited:
How about a update on the newer version of PVkeeper, still stable?

I have had crashing problems since day one with PVkeeper, tried all the suggested cures to no avail. Now, today, a Cust Svc manager at Growatt supplied me the updated PVkeeper program which also crashes, seems actually worse than the original PLUS no battery discharge current displayed anymore which is a MAJOR drawback.

PVkeeper never crashes during the night or when charging at medium or low currents but when the charge current gets over 40amps for a half hour or so it crashes every time. The inverter itself continues working properly. Due to this behavior, I strongly suspect the problem is in the inverter itself, its communication hardware dropping the USB connection, not the PVkeeper program.
PV Keeper works great with Growatt if you right click the icon for it and tell it to run as administrator. It will stop misbehaving.

PV Keeper works great with Growatt if you right click the icon for it and tell it to run as administrator. It will stop misbehaving.
Many, including myself have tried that, it only helps a little. It still crashes. Crashes happen during peroids of peak battery charging, it never crashes during the night or other than peak charging. Growatt confirmed this and sent me a updated version to try but I had already switched to Solar Assistant which is vastly superior so I never tried the new revision.

8/31 Version Joe. It appears Pierre is updating you with beta releases, he confirmed this when I asked about a prior update you got and I didn't. Good news is you confirming its fixed which means I will get it in the next standard release.

Notice any other changes in the 9/8 release you have? Curious

8/31 Version Joe. It appears Pierre is updating you with beta releases, he confirmed this when I asked about a prior update you got and I didn't. Good news is you confirming its fixed which means I will get it in the next standard release.

Notice any other changes in the 9/8 release you have? Curious
Noticed "battery emulator" is spot on, re-adjusted it the other day by using 2 tabs, 1 with Configuration and the other with Dashboard-Battery, ie - you can watch the soc change right after changing settings then click re-connect and you will see Soc update in real time, used the voltages from Gyll batteries and after a day or 2 it is within a couple of percent of all 3 types of Lifepo4 battery types I have.

Attachments

• SA-Batt-Soc.GIF
    SA-Batt-Soc.GIF
    520.4 KB · Views: 18
Noticed "battery emulator" is spot on, re-adjusted it the other day by using 2 tabs, 1 with Configuration and the other with Dashboard-Battery, ie - you can watch the soc change right after changing settings then click re-connect and you will see Soc update in real time, used the voltages from Gyll batteries and after a day or 2 it is within a couple of percent of all 3 types of Lifepo4 battery types I have.
That is interesting. Pierre sent me a email about the new release, told me battery SOC was changed to work better with non-lithium batteries which it does, its far far better now. I didn't realize he also tweaked it for lithium users, I have 340ah of AGM in my setup. I did tweak the settings as you did to dial it in closer and now have it where its extremely close.

The battery SOC was the biggest problem for me and now that is fixed. Other problems like missing charts, being able to change inverter settings etc etc are less important for me but would be nice to have working, hopefully they get addressed as time passes.

All in all, SolarAssistant serves my needs well now.

Yep, wish for Battery Voltage on dash board, just run Home Assistant that shows everything now except "pv current" is only 1/2 the current, no entity that shows mppt 1 and 2 combined, o well very happy w/SA and HA integration, also see Est Sol Tot is a add on to HA that predicts today's solar production based on your system, - pretty close - most days, don't expect 19kwh today, batteries will get full and shut down solar, Joe.

1631616305443.png

Back