diy solar

diy solar

MPP LV2424 without batteries?

danb35

I'm setting up a solar system in my workshop based on the MPP Hybrid LV2424. The inverter is here, most of the wiring and other components are here, the panels will be here in a few days--but the batteries have yet to even get onto the slow boat from China. Is it possible to use this device without the batteries? I'd anticipate, in this case, that solar would power the load as much as possible, with grid supplying any shortfall--any excess production would of course just be lost.

If that isn't possible, could I temporarily put a very-undersized battery pack on it, and just set the charging current low? I have a number of 12v, 7Ah AGM batteries that I could build into a 24V pack pretty easily enough, but it wouldn't be anywhere close to the 272 Ah I'll have there eventually.

Check the manual. Most can't.

You can use almost any 24V you like provided you program it for charging (or don't charge it) appropriately. IIRC, @Jim Burrow did the same on his unit to test it using some ragged out dumpster batteries he found. :)

The only concern would be that two halves of a 24V battery could be unequal, i.e., they might have notably different capacities, and that could create problems with 12V imbalance when in series for 24V. You can minimize by taking all the 12V you're going to use and parallel charge them together to ensure they're fully charged.

If any are marginal, i.e., they don't hold voltage, don't even bother using it.

I don't recall seeing it in the manual, but I'll check again--thanks. And for confirming that the fallback idea should work--the batteries won't do much of anything, but if they let the rest of the system work, that's good enough.

my 3kw growatt will not turn the inverter on without batteries connected. You can get the screen to turn on via grid or solar but it will only charge the battery. (standby mode) to operate the inverter side it has to have battery power.

I don't have my batteries yet so I try using my LV2424 without, and just plugged in. It would not turn on. I hope I didn't fry something. And the voltages on the output circuit were really odd, like 28v, and 1.5v in places. Not going to try it again until I get the batteries.

The Delta H6 will work without batteries.
I can't find any info in my manual that says "Do not turn on without batteries" so I doubt I damaged mine. So for me, I can do it, but the unit won't turn on. Driving me crazy because I'm waiting for my batteries which is TAKING FOREVER to get here. :)

I'm setting up a solar system in my workshop based on the MPP Hybrid LV2424. The inverter is here, most of the wiring and other components are here, the panels will be here in a few days--but the batteries have yet to even get onto the slow boat from China. Is it possible to use this device without the batteries? I'd anticipate, in this case, that solar would power the load as much as possible, with grid supplying any shortfall--any excess production would of course just be lost.

If that isn't possible, could I temporarily put a very-undersized battery pack on it, and just set the charging current low? I have a number of 12v, 7Ah AGM batteries that I could build into a 24V pack pretty easily enough, but it wouldn't be anywhere close to the 272 Ah I'll have there eventually.
The only MPP models I know of that will run without batteries is their LV6548V and LVX6048

Back