Mppt amd isc and voc???

Joehebbo

Dear forum,
I do have 8kw inverter deye with :
voc of 370Vdc(125Vdc 500Vdc) and
mppt 150vdc 425 Vdc and
Max isc 28Adc + 28Adc and
Max input power 10400 W
The question is as long it is 8kw mean 8000w why it mentioned 10.4kw max can i reach that or exceed it?
Second which should i choose 425 VDc or the 500 which normaly 480 vdc maximum for safety …. For extra info im using 12 panels of longy 6series x 6 series but joining them on one mppt
Each panel has
Voc 49.65 let s say 50
Isc 13.92 A
Max series fuse rating 25A
Voltage at max 41 v and
So should i go 8x8 or 9x9 -> 396 v or 446v mean follow the 425vdc or 500 vdc any help thank you all

The 10.4k is the max wattage input for solar so any arrangement of the mppt Vdc multiply the isc current should equal within the 10.4k watts range lf I’m reading your description correctly . Putting the panels in series, the total voltage is equal the voltage of one panel plus the string total , for example let’s use 50 volts as you mentioned so two panels would add 100 volts , 8 panels would equal 8x50volts = 400 volts , the isc and let’s round it to 14 amps (13.92) well 400 volts x 14 amps equals 5600 watts and you wanted 2 strings with that would equal 11.2k watts and that’s over your 10.4k watts limit = 5600w string 1 + 5600w string 2 but it’s not that bad after all because you’ll never get more then 80 percent of solar generation. Due to losses and efficiency. So you’ll would be in range of the 10.4k wattage limit

Last edited:
The 10.4k is the max wattage input for solar so any arrangement of the mppt Vdc multiply the isc current should equal within the 10.4k watts range lf I’m reading your description correctly . Putting the panels in series, the total voltage is equal the voltage of one panel plus the string total , for example let’s use 50 volts as you mentioned so two panels would add 100 volts , 8 panels would equal 8x50volts = 400 volts , the isc and let’s round it to 14 amps (13.92) well 400 volts x 14 amps equals 5600 watts and you wanted 2 strings with that would equal 11.2k watts and that’s over your 10.4k watts limit = 5600w string 1 + 5600w string 2 but it’s not that bad after all because you’ll never get more then 80 percent of solar generation. Due to losses and efficiency. So you’ll would be in range of the 10.4k wattage limit
This is the deye data sheet and my solar panel data

What w
The 10.4k is the max wattage input for solar so any arrangement of the mppt Vdc multiply the isc current should equal within the 10.4k watts range lf I’m reading your description correctly . Putting the panels in series, the total voltage is equal the voltage of one panel plus the string total , for example let’s use 50 volts as you mentioned so two panels would add 100 volts , 8 panels would equal 8x50volts = 400 volts , the isc and let’s round it to 14 amps (13.92) well 400 volts x 14 amps equals 5600 watts and you wanted 2 strings with that would equal 11.2k watts and that’s over your 10.4k watts limit = 5600w string 1 + 5600w string 2 but it’s not that bad after all because you’ll never get more then 80 percent of solar generation. Due to losses and efficiency. So you’ll would be in range of the 10.4k wattage limita
What would happen if u reach the maximum does the inverter takes only the 10400w as it mentioned ? I heard many times no problem if you overpass ur W but don’t pass ur voltage but sure their is % you can not pass it… and another video i saw about australia they aloud to trespass by 33% of w is that ok?

Attachments

• 8E5B538E-E3EC-416F-B446-09B930616187.png
    8E5B538E-E3EC-416F-B446-09B930616187.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • BB8352AA-2D0E-4747-93FE-A198FC6B547D.jpeg
    BB8352AA-2D0E-4747-93FE-A198FC6B547D.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 10
The panels are just a source. They don't push amps. They only make them available. The SCC will only draw what it needs, up to its limits.
VOC is the only hard number that you have to be careful about. Do not go over it. I don't even recommend getting close. And remember that cold temperatures raise panel voltage.

You don't need to worry about maximum input power. The specs you stated was: Max input power 10400 W. That simply means the maximum it will draw is 10400 W. If you have more power available from your solar panels, even if it's 30000 W or 1 Mega W, the maximum it will draw is still 10400 W. What happens if you exceed the maximum input power? Nothing. Because there's nothing you can do to make it use more than 10400 W. It doesn't matter if you have 10 solar panels or 1000 solar panels. You can't make your SCC draw more power than it was designed for.

Think about it like this. Your house has mains power from the electric company. It probably can provide as much as 20000 W. If you plug in a night light that has a maximum input power of 5 W (i.e. 5 watt light bulb), the 5 W is all it will use. You know for a fact there's a lot more power available from the electric company. But there's nothing the electric company can do to make your light bulb use more than 5 W because that's what it was designed for.

The VOC is a hard limit that you cannot go over. If you have 1000 solar panels, you must wire them in such a way (combination of serial and parallel) so that the VOC does not exceed the maximum. If you have 10 solar panels, you still must wire them in such a way to not exceed the maximum VOC. What happens if you exceed it? It'll fry your SCC. Generally you want to be about 25% under the maximum VOC to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
The panels are just a source. They don't push amps. They only make them available. The SCC will only draw what it needs, up to its limits.
VOC is the only hard number that you have to be careful about. Do not go over it. I don't even recommend getting close. And remember that cold temperatures raise panel voltage.
Ok i ll forget about the watts … voc is pv input voltage 370 vdc ( 125 vdc 500 vdc) which one should i follow 370 or 500 the max

You don't need to worry about maximum input power. The specs you stated was: Max input power 10400 W. That simply means the maximum it will draw is 10400 W. If you have more available from your hundreds of solar panels, even if it's 30000 W or 1 Mega W, the maximum it will draw is still 10400 W. What happens if you exceed the maximum input power? Nothing. Because there's nothing you can do to make it exceed that limit. It doesn't matter if you have 10 solar panels or 1000 solar panels. You can't make your SCC draw more than it was designed for.

Think about it like this. Your house has mains power. It probably can provide as much as 20000 W. If you plug in a night light that has a maximum draw of 5 W, the 5 W is all it will take. Your house's mains power will not push 20000 W into your little light bulb.

The VOC is a hard limit that you cannot go over. If you have 1000 solar panels, you must wire them in such a way (combination of serial and parallel) so that the VOC does not exceed the maximum. If you have 10 solar panels, you still must wire them in such a way to not exceed the maximum VOC. What happens if you exceed it? It'll fry your SCC. Generally you want to be about 25% under the maximum VOC.
Ok i het the deye mentionef the voltage 370Vdc (125 vdc 500 vdc) why all that .. is it 370 or 500

I would guess they mean 500 VDC is the max PV input voltage since right below it, the MPPT input range is 150 to 450 VDC. It can't possibly be 370 if the MPPT range is up to 450.
It is rather strange that they put multiple numbers there.

There are three separate electronic sections of HF AIO inverters.

1) Battery to HV DC converter
2) PV SCC controller
3) HV DC to sinewave AC converter

Each have their own power handling capability.

On 240/120vac split phase capable Deye and SolArc, the AC output stage has two separate 120vac HV DC to AC sinewave output modules, series connected for 240v/120vac output. Each have their own power limit that does not get shared between 120vac AC output phase sides, so each side is half the total AC output power spec.

The battery to HV DC converter is the most complex and consumes most of the idle, no AC load, battery power.

On Deye and SolArk, the battery to HV DC converter is lowest power capability, then HV DC to AC sinewave converter, then PV SCC converter have highest power capability.

In order to draw the maximum PV power spec from PV SCC you have to have some power going to charging battery and some going to AC output.

PV SCC controller has a maximum input voltage limit and maximum input current. These are not concurrent points as it would exceed maximum power capability. The two PV SCC controllers also share the same heat sink so both SCC's cannot produce maximum power at the same time.

There are many ways to spin the specs on AIO inverters.

Inverter power paths.png
Sol-Ark HF inverter power options.png

Last edited:
Ok i ll forget about the watts … voc is pv input voltage 370 vdc ( 125 vdc 500 vdc) which one should i follow 370 or 500 the max
Whatever the VOC of your SCC is.
Make sure that you stay below it at all times.
Cold temperatures raise the panel voltage, so keep that in mind when planning.

And the Voc limits have two options 120 volts ac (350voc) output or 240 volts ac (500voc) red pill or blue pill ? Door number 1 or number 2 , 60hz or 50hz ?!!? Please be safe

Back