diy solar

diy solar

My Friend Was Banned For "Self-Promotion?"

He claims it allows you to do away withe blocking diodes which saves power but something has to power his setup which to me would cost more power to run than anything the blocking diodes are eating. So I doubt that claim being right or useful.

Presumably there's some sort of switching mechanism (relays/IGBT) behind the panel in that video. Obviously that would take power too, but the device has its own solar cells. I think this is one of those "devil in the details" kinds of scenarios where it's not intrinsically a bad idea, but would be very difficult to make work well enough to be broadly applicable...

One obvious problem is that without some coordination between devices you risk turning off generation for the whole array in low/dappled light scenarios where no panel is getting full sun. Again, it would probably be highly situational whether losing those generation times is worth it to have better production in certain other scenarios - like the shadow of a power pole moving across the array.

I think what he is aiming it for is solar panel manufacturers more than diy the way he words it in the video.

Best I can tell he doesn't have an actual for sale product or even a website of his own. Just the patent, the concept and a prototype.

Couldn't find much else.

Back