diy solar

diy solar

Need help diagnosing problem after 6 months with first system. (cant piece the logic together)

One problem is there are just too many words in one big post. Can you simplify the question or have a diagram or something?

How sweet it would be. Torture me with a sunburn, tequila and a warm ocean.

I can see from your other thread:

that folks are suggesting a thorough check of your batteries. I agree 100%. Take them to the mechanic and hopefully you will get good answers.

If you can continue to provide "VERY SPECIFIC INFORMATION", I bet we can help resolve the problem with minimal costs and time down.

I do not see where anyone has specifically addressed your charge controller settings. I can not help you there.

A few photos of your system, wiring and batteries would really help.
i wish i had battery mechanics but i was just meaning an auto mechanic because they are the only ones around with a charger where i live. from the info from this thread and the other i have learnt alot. My plan is to wait until my battery charger arrives and test my batteries, learn how to equalise batteries, buy hydrometer and figure out why my inverter is changing voltage so much after full charge.

this fridge is putting 4 amps
How can you confirm this number?
i wish i had battery mechanics but i was just meaning an auto mechanic because they are the only ones around with a charger where i live. from the info from this thread and the other i have learnt alot. My plan is to wait until my battery charger arrives and test my batteries, learn how to equalise batteries, buy hydrometer and figure out why my inverter is changing voltage so much after full charge.
Cool, in the meantime, since everything in your fridge is already spoiled, pull the plug on the fridge and see if other loads kill your batteries as your fridge has been doing.

Maybe something else is dragging you down as well, but I suspect the fridge is kicking your butt & you have a bad battery or bad connections.

One problem is there are just too many words in one big post. Can you simplify the question or have a diagram or something?
started having problems with batteries after 4 months use. started investigation and found after full charge and load dropping that my inverter changing voltage from 52-60 for a few hours until the sun drops. I believe this caused damage to the batteries because i didnt release for 4 months. now from getting help on this forum ive learnt i haven't been maintaining my batteries correctly on top of that

Reactions: Zil
How sweet it would be. Torture me with a sunburn, tequila and a warm ocean.

I can see from your other thread:

that folks are suggesting a thorough check of your batteries. I agree 100%. Take them to the mechanic and hopefully you will get good answers.

If you can continue to provide "VERY SPECIFIC INFORMATION", I bet we can help resolve the problem with minimal costs and time down.

I do not see where anyone has specifically addressed your charge controller settings. I can not help you there.

A few photos of your system, wiring and batteries would really help.
let me know what very specific info you would like and i will provide it all along with the photos you where asking for.

I really hope we can get to the bottom of it. Maybe ontop of the issues i am under powered

How can you confirm this number?

Cool, in the meantime, since everything in your fridge is already spoiled, pull the plug on the fridge and see if other loads kill your batteries as your fridge has been doing.

Maybe something else is dragging you down as well, but I suspect the fridge is kicking your butt & you have a bad battery or bad connections.
i dont really have any other load just 14w of light and 12w of moden. i confirmed he number of the fridge because when i only have it plugged in it shows im drawing 4amp from the batteries and the watts is around 110. The rating sticker is 402kWh/year

let me know what very specific info you would like and i will provide it all along with the photos you where asking for.

I really hope we can get to the bottom of it. Maybe ontop of the issues i am under powered
I have no specific questions at this time. Just saying when you provide information it needs to be accurate and include everything relevant.

I wish a close visual inspection would reveal a loose connection or a load you overlooked. Life would be easier ?‍♂️ ? and you would have had more fun getting a headache.

whats your battery maintenance schedule? Weekly water checks (and topoffs) SG checks monthly? What are you useing to ballance the 4 bats? If none of this is part of your weekly/monthly routine, 6 months sound about right to kill another set of FLA's

@schmism has a point. But nope, I don't believe the OP has been doing those things. They are valid points though, one needs to take care of the system so it can take care of you.

Maybe a balance controller or two should be included in the near future.

sorry if i sound naive, could you please explain to me how more panels will improve my battery life because it doesnt make sense to me? in 24 hours i consume just under 3kWh.
The longer batteries stay discharged the more they sulfinate. Maybe part of your problem is knowing what 100% charged actually is? Are you just looking at voltage? That's know far and wide as the poorest way to determine the state of charge. As I mentioned above, a hydrometer is the gold standard for determining the REAL level of charge. I highly recommend you get one. This is what I recommend...

OP is also being assisted here:

I'm posting there.

Back