diy solar

diy solar

Need help/wisdom to decide between Schneider or Victron system

I WANT to be a set it and forget it kind of guy.
I very much also want my system to be 'set it and forget it'. I'm sure there will be some adjusting and tuning the first month or so, but I want it to just do its own thing and not need daily intervention if possible.

As others have alluded to Victron probably has the best software and monitoring of any of the systems. The Victron Quattro 10kVA is also currently on sale for only $2337 + freight at AltE which would make an easy decision for me ;)

For lead acid, inverter can request absorption voltage followed by float. Or equaliztion.
Lithium, I think you also want a full charge followed by float.

Also, if BMS says "Slow down!" to allow for balancing to work, SI talking to BMS could then ask SCC to reduce voltage. SI with SIC-40 never did allow current to be commanded, just voltage. But it could be SI firmware supporting Li BMS is when SIC-40 support was dropped.

AC coupled, SI does get to control charge voltage and current. But it has to stuff current for a couple seconds while shifting frequency.

The Simple Stupid case should work with all devices just charging to a single voltage.

SMA, don't expect any support and especially no firmware updates, in particular for old models and non-supported equipment like batteries not on their compatibility list.
(They do provide on-line support, but can be quite slow.)

Some of the other brands may be more responsive to modern needs.

As others have alluded to Victron probably has the best software and monitoring of any of the systems. The Victron Quattro 10kVA is also currently on sale for only $2337 + freight at AltE which would make an easy decision for me ;)
Thanks! In looking at the software and inter communications used, Victron seems the most open and flexible - I like that they have an active GitHub as well. Hopefully the sales continue as my purchasing time frame will be much later this year as I won't retire/return to the US until April, and then be able to actually get into the solar project until fall timeframe.

As a side note you have to take into account the "after sales" support. I would get these type of Tier 1 systems from a distributor who knows these systems inside and out. Current Connected for instance knows Victron systems inside and out and will even pre-program the system for you so would go with them if you decide to go the Victron route.

As a side note you have to take into account the "after sales" support. I would get these type of Tier 1 systems from a distributor who knows these systems inside and out. Current Connected for instance knows Victron systems inside and out and will even pre-program the system for you so would go with them if you decide to go the Victron route.
Very good point, I didn't fully think out that angle - thanks!

Yes, its only the firmware/software and lack of support that makes this unusable. I am 12 weeks after my install/commission and have opened 8 cases with tech support on software glitches. They have acknowledged the bugs and promised a fix. 5 Weeks later i ask about the status of a fix and they said they tested it again and could not reproduce the problem. They went back to asking me what firmware i was using so back to square 1 on something they saw when connected to my system several times and then reproduced on their end.

I have to change settings twice a day to switch between charging and inverting (its really hard to believe!). I am in the same boat as many others here having to use a Pi or PLC to monitor and manage my inverter because there are so many shortcomings and bugs. Still futzing with getting a Pi to do the work, maybe a few more weeks of work.

If you're up for a looooong road of frustration and fiddling, Schneider is all that. Beware!
MisterSandals,
Thank you for detailing your issues with the Schneider units, I do appreciate it. Without intending to exacerbate the situation, may I inquire about the factors that influenced your decision to choose them?

V/R

Without intending to exacerbate the situation, may I inquire about the factors that influenced your decision to choose them?
I had been waiting quite a while (over a year!) after building a big 48V battery bank for the next generation of UL approved, California compliant, user friendly offerings from Victron, Outback and less expectedly Morningstar. I came across a nicely priced new warranty replacement SW4048 unit and decided i could not pass it up. Regarding the known issues, i was expecting that as an engineer and plenty of spare time i could overcome the technical challenges. And failing that, quite a few others have worked around the Schneider shortcomings with Raspberry Pi and other PLC solutions. Still working on the latter, and giving up on hopes that Schneider would fix or improve their software.

I'm pretty certain that i could fix and improve the Schneider software FAR EASIER than building my own control software.

I had been waiting quite a while (over a year!) after building a big 48V battery bank for the next generation of UL approved, California compliant, user friendly offerings from Victron, Outback and less expectedly Morningstar. I came across a nicely priced new warranty replacement SW4048 unit and decided i could not pass it up. Regarding the known issues, i was expecting that as an engineer and plenty of spare time i could overcome the technical challenges. And failing that, quite a few others have worked around the Schneider shortcomings with Raspberry Pi and other PLC solutions. Still working on the latter, and giving up on hopes that Schneider would fix or improve their software.

I'm pretty certain that i could fix and improve the Schneider software FAR EASIER than building my own control software.
Thanks for that. I can understand the perspective coming at it from the standpoint of being an engineer and being able to manage it - I somewhat have the same overall feeling as I am coming from an engineering branch, working on/with US SSNs for the past 30 years.
As for the rPi, are you just installing node-red and making a flow to control the parts of the system where needed?

I think the main issue with the sw4024 and sw4048s is the firmware change where Schneider took away parallel capability.

I have a Schneider system that has been Commissioned for about 2 months and is running smoothly. I have 2 XW pros, 3 MPPT 100's, with Insight facility, running closed loop with 2 Fortress Evault max batteries.
Schneider has some you tube videos on the XW Commissioning process, you could watch some of them to understand the system before you decide, but they have been getting better about giving out information.
My system is Off Grid so I am not using all the features available on the XW Pro,
but I would say my system Is operating good.
My new system replaced a 15 year old Magnum inverter, there was definitely a learning curve with new XW pro but many new features I really like.

Last edited:
I have a Schneider system that has been Commissioned for about 2 months and is running smoothly. I have 2 XW pros, 3 MPPT 100's, with Insight facility, running closed loop with 2 Fortress Evault max batteries.
Schneider has some you tube videos on the XW Commissioning process, you could watch some of them to understand the system before you decide, but they have been getting better about giving out information.
My system is Off Grid so I am not using all the features available on the XW Pro,
but I would say my system Is operating good.
My new system replaced a 15 year old Magnum inverter, there was definitely a learning curve with new XW pro but many new features I really like.
Thanks for that information! How has the system been with handling high loading, light flickering, that sort of thing?

My Victron MotorHome system has been working great for years - I love the communication it has. Plus the GX user interface is so easy my wife can look at it and understand what she should/should not do… (use large devices on battery or start the generator).

If I ever build an off grid home - it will be with a Victron electric system.

My Victron MotorHome system has been working great for years - I love the communication it has. Plus the GX user interface is so easy my wife can look at it and understand what she should/should not do… (use large devices on battery or start the generator).

If I ever build an off grid home - it will be with a Victron electric system.
Thanks Rocketman. It does seem to be that Victron has the better user interface/software and use open communication standards whereas the Schneider is a bit more locked down - I wonder if this is for UL or other certifications, or just a commercial equipment mindset.

Last edited:
It handles loads good, I have loaded the inverters to 10k watts, but I want to do a full 13.6k load test soon.
With the insight monitoring program I was able to watch amps, volts and Hertz on L1 and L2 of both inverters with that 10k load, to make sure everything was in spec.
I have some cheap led lights in 1 room of my house that flicker when the washer is on spin cycle, but no other lights do it.
I need to replace those bulbs with better ones.

Last edited:
As for the rPi, are you just installing node-red and making a flow to control the parts of the system where needed?
Yes. I have node-red running on my Mac to do some basic reading and writing to modbus addresses. I just rec'd my Pi 5 w/8GB memory. I thought the RTC and backup battery would be crucial for power outages that inevitably happen.

When i get a few spare days i hope to start downloading the software packages and begin developing the controls to manage either AC Support Mode and/or Load Shaving: both these need to be off in order to charge the batteries and then back on at sundown to use the batteries.

Back