diy solar

diy solar

New All in One: MPP LVX6048WP (UL certified)

also havent gottem your mason's.installed yet ?
Nope. Life getting in the way. We just moved to the new house in South Carolina, and the wife is busy with my grandson while my daughter is about to pop with my grand daughter. The new house is already running on SMA's, so I will be attaching the 7 Masons to the MPP LVX6048WP's, with AC coupling to the SMA's(I hope!). Still unboxing after the move, and then thr baby will arrive, so I will be busy. I am very excited though to get it going! It will be interesting to see how everything interacts, especially the 4 x 6.9KW Masons and the 3 x 14KW Masons in parallel.

Did you know the generator input does not actually function as an input? only as an output. Essentially If you decide to hook up your generator to the generator input of this inverter, well eh..em...let me quote Aquinas: If one of 2 contraries be infinite, the other would be altogether destroyed" I was shocked when he told me this so I had to check the connections out myself. We decided he would ask question and just bcc me the answers that MPPsolar gave him, so that we won't be getting varying and contradictory answers from different customer service people from the company.

From the email he has shown me, MPP solar actually knows about this issue and is working on it.

They've apparently also sent my friend a "firmware update" that "resolves" the issue... But not really. The firmware finally lets the input act like an input and not an output, but there is a catch: The inverter cannot be in parallel with another inverter, otherwise it won't work. It has to be stand alone and you have to turn off parallel mode for it to work. Can you imagine me sitting here reading this and thinking; why in the world did I buy this. My friend is thinking of selling his for the price of the none WP version or less.

I have one of these inverters on order from a Canadian distributor (not sure if I can share the name / link here) and am quite concerned about this, however I also got an email from them recently that FW ver 1.23 is now available. Presumably this is the update which 'fixes' this issue? Has anyone confirmed this? Dedicated generator input (without having to have a separate transfer switch) is one of the reasons I chose this unit over the cheaper non WP unit. I have no plans to use multiple units in parallel so that's not an issue for me.

I have also had a tough time tracking down the specification of the 'pass through' capability of this unit, although I'm sure it's there and I've just missed it?

The Sol-Ark 5K (another unit I was considering) says the pass through is 63A which I presume means you can have up to 63A on your critical loads panel connected to the output side of the inverter. I realize when running off solar/battery alone (grid down) the LVX6048WP is limited to 30A / 6kW so I'll have to be judicious as to which circuits are used when the grid is down but it would be nice to have more circuits on the critical loads panel than I plan to actually use simultaneously just to keep the flexibility.

I have one of these inverters on order from a Canadian distributor (not sure if I can share the name / link here) and am quite concerned about this, however I also got an email from them recently that FW ver 1.23 is now available. Presumably this is the update which 'fixes' this issue? Has anyone confirmed this? Dedicated generator input (without having to have a separate transfer switch) is one of the reasons I chose this unit over the cheaper non WP unit. I have no plans to use multiple units in parallel so that's not an issue for me.

I have also had a tough time tracking down the specification of the 'pass through' capability of this unit, although I'm sure it's there and I've just missed it?

The Sol-Ark 5K (another unit I was considering) says the pass through is 63A which I presume means you can have up to 63A on your critical loads panel connected to the output side of the inverter. I realize when running off solar/battery alone (grid down) the LVX6048WP is limited to 30A / 6kW so I'll have to be judicious as to which circuits are used when the grid is down but it would be nice to have more circuits on the critical loads panel than I plan to actually use simultaneously just to keep the flexibility.
As far as I know the LVX6048WP does not have passthrough capabilities. I believe its has an online double conversion design. That means AC comes in and is converted to DC to charge the battery if necessary, and the inverter part of the design takes power from the DC source and produces AC for the output, hence double conversion - AC to DC to AC. That way if the AC fails, the battery is still the source of power for the output.

Inverters that have passthroughs use a line interactive design and pass the AC power directly through when it is available and quickly switch over to DC inverted power when AC fails. The switching is controlled by an automatic transfer switch that switches in less than half of one AC cycle (16.7ms). When the inverter isn't inverting, the inverter's passthrough simply connects the output to the input allowing the grid to power the load directly. There is no inverting in this case.

Inverters with pass-through always describe their transfer switch capacity and their switching time, for example 63A or 200A, and <20ms (50Hz) or <16.7ms (60Hz). The Solark model uses a line interactive design and has a transfer switch. The LVX6048WP does not describe either, and I believe all MPP Solar models are double conversion. They are basically traditional DC to AC inverters with an AC charger, AC generator input as an alternative, and PV DC inputs added to them.

The significant distinction between the two designs is the crux of your last sentence. With a double conversion design, you are limited on the output side by the capacity of the inverter i.e. 5kW or 8kW, etc. A typical house has a power service of 24-48kW. This means to power everything, you must divide your loads between a main panel directly connected to the grid, and a critical loads panel directly connected to the output side of the inverter. When the grid fails you cannot run any of the loads on the main panel. With a line interactive design you are limited by the passthrough, i.e. 63A or 200A. With a 200A passthrough you simply have one main panel connected to the output side of the inverter. You can run everything from the grid without overloading the inverter. When the grid fails, you can still run any of your loads as long as you don't overload the inverter. The line interactive design is therefore more flexible.

Last edited:
As far as I know the LVX6048WP does not have passthrough capabilities. I believe its has an online double conversion design. That means AC comes in and is converted to DC to charge the battery if necessary, and the inverter part of the design takes power from the DC source and produces AC for the output, hence double conversion - AC to DC to AC. That way if the AC fails, the battery is still the source of power for the output.

Inverters that have passthroughs use a line interactive design and pass the AC power directly through when it is available and quickly switch over to DC inverted power when AC fails. The switching is controlled by an automatic transfer switch that switches in less than half of one AC cycle (16.7ms). When the inverter isn't inverting, the inverter's passthrough simply connects the output to the input allowing the grid to power the load directly. There is no inverting in this case.

Inverters with pass-through always describe their transfer switch capacity and their switching time, for example 63A or 200A, and <20ms (50Hz) or <16.7ms (60Hz). The Solark model uses a line interactive design and has a transfer switch. The LVX6048WP does not describe either, and I believe all MPP Solar models are double conversion. They are basically traditional DC to AC inverters with an AC charger, AC generator input as an alternative, and PV DC inputs added to them.

The significant distinction between the two designs is the crux of your last sentence. With a double conversion design, you are limited on the output side by the capacity of the inverter i.e. 5kW or 8kW, etc. A typical house has a power service of 24-48kW. This means to power everything, you must divide your loads between a main panel directly connected to the grid, and a critical loads panel directly connected to the output side of the inverter. When the grid fails you cannot run any of the loads on the main panel. With a line interactive design you are limited by the passthrough, i.e. 63A or 200A. With a 200A passthrough you simply have one main panel connected to the output side of the inverter. You can run everything from the grid without overloading the inverter. When the grid fails, you can still run any of your loads as long as you don't overload the inverter. The line interactive design is therefore more flexible.
After reviewing my options for my new house, which already has SMA sunnny boys, I am thinking of selling my new unopened LVX6548WP inverters. If anyone is interested, let me know. I am near Charleston SC, but can ship if needed (you pay shipping).

As far as I know the LVX6048WP does not have passthrough capabilities.
Nope. It has:
"Bypass mode : Only utility is available to provide power to connected loads"

I believe its has an online double conversion design.
Nope. It is a real hybrid design that can sell to grid too.
Only the MK line (MK, MKX, LV-MK) is double conversion unit.

Inverters that have passthroughs use a line interactive design
Nope. Line interactive means it has a transformer with many input-output. So it can lower or rise the incoming Volt for the output

Nope. They work the same way inside.
Also they do not have a transfer switch. They have multiple relays.

Here is the user manual:

So the first batch of LVX6048WP's sold had a couple of problems with regard to the generator issue:

1.) The generator input was acting as an output, and extremely dangerous situation that everyone who bought one should have been alerted to.
2.) You could bypass the first issue and use the grid input connection for your generator. You would have to change a setting in the software that says "Use generator as AC Source." But then you can't use the grid if you wanted to, so that limits your options.
3.) Even if you used the grid input connection for the generator connection, you couldn't parallel 2 of the inverters together, or at least I couldn't...I always got an error message.
4. The generator can't be coupled to the LVX6048WP, if it is not a inverter-generator. I tried to couple my non-inverter Westinghouse generator to the WP and it always bypassed and just directly sent the generator output to my loads, because the frequency was too high. Even though there are two settings in the software that say "Wide AC input range" and "AC Ouput coupling" I suspect these setting will work with an inverter generator but I don't have a spare inverter generator to test it. I don't know what the point of the "Wide AC input range" setting is if a 2hz higher frequency means it can't be couple with the inverter.
5. It is obvious that the problem with the hot generator input was a PCB miswiring issue because a second batch of these WP's from a difference source than Watts247 did not have this issue even with the firmware still at 1.19. Have a friend that bought the second batch from another company

6 The new 1.23 firmware is sort of a fix for the first batch of mis-wired PCB's so I'd be wary of even using that generator input after the firmware update, at least if you bought any of the first batch of inverters.
7. But even with the new 1.23 firmware you can't use the generator if two of the WP inverter are in parallel.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
So the first batch of LVX6048WP's sold had a couple of problems with regard to the generator issue:

1.) The generator input was acting as an output, and extremely dangerous situation that everyone who bought one should have been alerted to.
2.) You could bypass the first issue and use the grid input connection for your generator. You would have to change a setting in the software that says "Use generator as AC Source." But then you can't use the grid if you wanted to, so that limits your options.
3.) Even if you used the grid input connection for the generator connection, you couldn't parallel 2 of the inverters together, or at least I couldn't...I always got an error message.
4. The generator can't be coupled to the LVX6048WP, if it is not a inverter-generator. I tried to couple my non-inverter Westinghouse generator to the WP and it always bypassed and just directly sent the generator output to my loads, because the frequency was too high. Even though there are two settings in the software that say "Wide AC input range" and "AC Ouput coupling" I suspect these setting will work with an inverter generator but I don't have a spare inverter generator to test it. I don't know what the point of the "Wide AC input range" setting is if a 2hz higher frequency means it can't be couple with the inverter.
5. It is obvious that the problem with the hot generator input was a PCB miswiring issue because a second batch of these WP's from a difference source than Watts247 did not have this issue even with the firmware still at 1.19. Have a friend that bought the second batch from another company

6 The new 1.23 firmware is sort of a fix for the first batch of mis-wired PCB's so I'd be wary of even using that generator input after the firmware update, at least if you bought any of the first batch of inverters.
7. But even with the new 1.23 firmware you can't use the generator if two of the WP inverter are in parallel.

Hope this helps

Very helpful thanks. The Canadian distributor just advised me that MPP Solar will be applying the 1.23 FW on the next batch of units they receive before they are shipped. Presumably the hot input issue will be fixed as well but I will definitely check the contacts before connecting anything.

Is there any reason to believe the 1.23 FW will fix the generator compatibility issues as well?

The Generator Requirements document found on the MPP Solar site mentions the following

UPS mode (refer to inverter LCD setting “UPS”)
- Generator waveform THD: < 10%.
- Generator Vrms range: 180 ~ 270Vac (95 ~ 140Vac for North American 120V)
- Generator voltage crest factor(Vpeak/Vrms): < 1.6
- Generator peak voltage: <380V (<208V for North American 120V)
- Frequency range: 45Hz ~ 63Hz
- Frequency slew rate: <0.3Hz/sec

Appliance mode (refer to inverter LCD setting “APL”)
- Generator waveform THD: < 30%.
- If square wave output generator, output duty should greater than 60%
- Generator Vrms range: 100 ~ 270Vac (65 ~ 140Vac for North American 120V)
- Generator voltage crest factor(Vpeak/Vrms): < 1.6
- Generator peak voltage: <380V (<208V for North American 120V)
- Generator frequency range: 45Hz ~ 63Hz
- Generator frequency slew rate: < 0.3Hz/sec

The 4000W Firman generator I currently own (still sitting in the box) only specifies the THD of 11-14% which meets the Appliance Mode spec but not UPS mode. I'm assuming since I only plan to fire up the generator manually during an extended grid outage to keep the batteries recharged (if there is not enough solar) that this will be fine. However they don't publish any other specs. Wondering if I should sell it and get an inverter generator and not even bother trying it.

Nope. It has:

My distributor has advised me that the "pass through" is limited to 40A which is the recommended main panel breaker size shown on the spec sheet

Nope. It has:

Nope. It is a real hybrid design that can sell to grid too.
Only the MK line (MK, MKX, LV-MK) is double conversion unit.

Nope. Line interactive means it has a transformer with many input-output. So it can lower or rise the incoming Volt for the output

Nope. They work the same way inside.
Also they do not have a transfer switch. They have multiple relays.

Here is the user manual:

Yep. You must be right. :)

My distributor has advised me that the "pass through" is limited to 40A which is the recommended main panel breaker size shown on the spec sheet
That's correct. The lugs are also limited to 8-6 gauge wire too. However the output side is limited to 25 amps and 10-8 gauge wire. What kind of passthrough is that? Its passthrough is rated with the same rating as the inverter. The point of a passthrough is to allow all loads to be run against the power of the grid when not inverting. Only when the grid goes down should you be limited to the power output of the inverter. Its obviously not a good passthrough design. With 40 amp inputs and 25 amp outputs and no transfer switch in between supposedly, I would say that's ready for a fire. Obviously I am missing something but what and how do we know? Someone needs to provide the real schematics of the passthrough switching design, not just a user's manual. :)

That's correct. The lugs are also limited to 8-6 gauge wire too. However the output side is limited to 25 amps and 10-8 gauge wire. What kind of passthrough is that? Its passthrough is rated with the same rating as the inverter. The point of a passthrough is to allow all loads to be run against the power of the grid when not inverting. Only when the grid goes down should you be limited to the power output of the inverter. Its obviously not a good passthrough design. With 40 amp inputs and 25 amp outputs and no transfer switch in between supposedly, I would say that's ready for a fire. Obviously I am missing something but what and how do we know? Someone needs to provide the real schematics of the passthrough switching design, not just a user's manual. :)
These units have a lot of capabilities for the price, but individual units are limited in ability(IE: 3KW per phase (120V x 25 amps)). Thats why I assume they can parallel up to six units. Four of these units should provide 12KW per phase, and cost less than two Sol-Arks. I think 12KW should be enough to start most 120V inductive loads.

These units have a lot of capabilities for the price, but individual units are limited in ability(IE: 3KW per phase (120V x 25 amps)). Thats why I assume they can parallel up to six units. Four of these units should provide 12KW per phase, and cost less than two Sol-Arks. I think 12KW should be enough to start most 120V inductive loads.
Yea I know, that's why you need a 12kW inverter. I've been studying this model since the beginning of the year. Never could get the information I asked for from the distributor in Utah, the designers in Taiwan, or the real manufacturer in China. Then came the problems. Forget the brands you mentioned. There is more choice out there now, and its better and more cost effective than either of the two you mentioned. Most engineering types can build what they want, but most aren't engineering types. I'm an engineer and I certainly won't be putting four of these together just to get 12kW. The Chinese brands need to start providing much better documentation including descriptions of how their inverters work. I don't mean how to put the screws in the wall, or push the buttons on the LCD, or how to strip the wire for the AC inputs. I mean the basics of how they work and what the detailed specs are. That information will come out sooner or later. Why should we have to beg for information on this type of stuff from sales? What do they know about specs and designs? Why should we have to watch videos of people partially disassembling the model we're interested in just to get a few answers? Silliness. The good brands are proud of what they provide and they don't hide their specs or the designs from their customers. When I buy a car, I read the specs and study the design. I don't read the user's manual. I do the same with my phone, my computer, my television, even my microwave sometimes. The user's manual either goes in the glove box or in the garbage can.

This model is fine for a backup system. It is not adequate for a whole house system. I have yet to be convinced otherwise. It has no real passthrough capabilities whatsoever. If someone has the detailed specs and can show me why I am wrong, without resorting to their opinion because they already bought six of them and spent $5,000 in other equipment to make it all kinda work sometimes, my ears are ready to hear it. Make me want to buy one.

Is this Inverter Grid tied or is it just using Grid on an Input side and passing it through?
It seems to just be passing through the Grid and using it to charge the batteries etc.
Why is it listed in the AIO section if it is not a Grid Tied Inverter?

Last edited:
Is this Inverter Grid tied or is it just using Grid on an Input side and passing it through?
It seems to just be passing through the Grid and using it to charge the batteries etc.
Why is it listed in the AIO section if it is not a Grid Tied Inverter?

It is Grid-Tied.

Program 16,17,18 - you must enable the feature.

1663623267006.png

Yea I know, that's why you need a 12kW inverter. I've been studying this model since the beginning of the year. Never could get the information I asked for from the distributor in Utah, the designers in Taiwan, or the real manufacturer in China. Then came the problems. Forget the brands you mentioned. There is more choice out there now, and its better and more cost effective than either of the two you mentioned. Most engineering types can build what they want, but most aren't engineering types. I'm an engineer and I certainly won't be putting four of these together just to get 12kW. The Chinese brands need to start providing much better documentation including descriptions of how their inverters work. I don't mean how to put the screws in the wall, or push the buttons on the LCD, or how to strip the wire for the AC inputs. I mean the basics of how they work and what the detailed specs are. That information will come out sooner or later. Why should we have to beg for information on this type of stuff from sales? What do they know about specs and designs? Why should we have to watch videos of people partially disassembling the model we're interested in just to get a few answers? Silliness. The good brands are proud of what they provide and they don't hide their specs or the designs from their customers. When I buy a car, I read the specs and study the design. I don't read the user's manual. I do the same with my phone, my computer, my television, even my microwave sometimes. The user's manual either goes in the glove box or in the garbage can.

This model is fine for a backup system. It is not adequate for a whole house system. I have yet to be convinced otherwise. It has no real passthrough capabilities whatsoever. If someone has the detailed specs and can show me why I am wrong, without resorting to their opinion because they already bought six of them and spent $5,000 in other equipment to make it all kinda work sometimes, my ears are ready to hear it. Make me want to buy one.
4 LVX6048WP's would provide 12KW per phase, and 24KW all together. As far as whole home energy, folks have been using MPP for some time now with great results.

4 LVX6048WP's would provide 12KW per phase, and 24KW all together. As far as whole home energy, folks have been using MPP for some time now with great results.

if you have enough money to buy 4 of the WP's at $2200 a piece you might as well buy a Sol-ark 15k and save yourself the headaches and poor CS associated with this inverter.

Last edited:
This model is fine for a backup system. It is not adequate for a whole house system.

I agree with this sentiment. I think for people like me who just want to run a handful of critical circuits it's a very attractive option coming in at less than 1/2 the price of the Sol-Ark 5K with more capacity (but less pass through apparently) and 1/3 price of the Sol-Ark 8K. But if I'm going to be disappointed and frustrated with it's failings is it really worth it.

if you have enough money to buy 4 of the WP's at $2200 a piece you might as well buy a Sol-ark 15k and save yourself the headaches and poor CS associated with this inverter.
You get 24kW output vs 15kW output for the price difference.

I can get 3 LVX6048WP for less than 1 15k Sol-Ark and have more output.

I operate on two LV6548s off-grid and a SolarEdge 5k grid-tied setup.

The convenience of both the Sol-Ark and the LVX6048WP letting me have one unified system that is battery agnostic and can backfeed the grid excess is the goal.

I can pull 16k loads in the summer by charging my EV, running the HVAC, and using the computer in my house. One Sol-Ark 15k cannot handle that, but for 25% less $$, I can get 18kW of output with three LVX6048WPs.

The time for using solar for just critical loads is over. Sol-Ark made the 15k to be directly between the line and the load's panel. I expect to see a 24kW Sol-Ark by this time next year.

An advantage the Sol-Ark has is that it can pass my SolarEdge setup through to the grid via the generator input. The LVX6048WP with the latest firmware "supposedly" can do this also. This really is moot if I just plug the panels into the PV inputs on either inverter. The 15k has 3 MPPTs, while the LVX6048's would be 6 MPPTs.

Hope this helps
So I have been reviewing all the posts I can find about the lvx6048wp as I purchased two of these from Ian’s first batch several months ago. I have not set up my system yet as the system will power my totally off-grid home in Baja and the home was still being built. I now am ready to install the whole system (10K solar, 30kwh battery, and two lvx6048wp). It seems from all these posts that there have been some problems with these units but its not totally clear to me whether some of the issues have been with the lvx6048 (not WP version). I upgraded the firmware but I am wondering if I should expect additional problems with a fully off-grid system. I understand that the units have a high baseline use but feel that more solar panels will address this issue (also, its very sunny in Baja). I had planned on trying to connect the generator for auto back in case there there was a problem with the batteries but it seems that this might not be possible if I have two units paralleled. Do I have that right? If I hold off on setting up the generator back up for now should I anticipate any other problems when I set up two of these units in parallel? I am trying to be proactive so if there is something else I need to get or do I can do that prior to going to Mexico as it will be harder to get things down there. I also want to make sure my installer is aware of all potential problems.
Has anyone set up a couple of these in parallel and NOT had any problems? I want to keep things simple and am hoping if I do keep things simple that these units will work well for us.

So I have been reviewing all the posts I can find about the lvx6048wp as I purchased two of these from Ian’s first batch several months ago. I have not set up my system yet as the system will power my totally off-grid home in Baja and the home was still being built. I now am ready to install the whole system (10K solar, 30kwh battery, and two lvx6048wp). It seems from all these posts that there have been some problems with these units but its not totally clear to me whether some of the issues have been with the lvx6048 (not WP version). I upgraded the firmware but I am wondering if I should expect additional problems with a fully off-grid system. I understand that the units have a high baseline use but feel that more solar panels will address this issue (also, its very sunny in Baja). I had planned on trying to connect the generator for auto back in case there there was a problem with the batteries but it seems that this might not be possible if I have two units paralleled. Do I have that right? If I hold off on setting up the generator back up for now should I anticipate any other problems when I set up two of these units in parallel? I am trying to be proactive so if there is something else I need to get or do I can do that prior to going to Mexico as it will be harder to get things down there. I also want to make sure my installer is aware of all potential problems.
Has anyone set up a couple of these in parallel and NOT had any problems? I want to keep things simple and am hoping if I do keep things simple that these units will work well for us.
If you have two of the WP's in parallel, you turn one off if you want to use it with your generator input. I myself am worried about the generator input so I avoid it like a plague, even though the firmware update fixes the hot input.
If you want to run 2 WP inverters in parallel and have a generator connection as well, You're better off using the Grid input for your generator instead of the generator input.
Just know that your generator has to produce power at frequency as close to 60hz as possible (essentially an inverter generator) otherwise you will get Fault Code 3 error(line frequency to high) or Fault 60 and 72. I've even gotten fault code 88 which is not even on the manual.

Back