diy solar

diy solar

New Chargery DCC (DC Contactor)

cinergi

1.21 Jigawatts
I just received 2 Chargery 16 600's with 300A DCC ... I'm shocked, because I ordered it late LAST WEEK (directly from Jason @Chargery) and it just arrived! There's some discussion here around the terminal posts for the DCC so I'll post a bunch of pictures for ya.. Review will be forthcoming...

There were 4 boxes in this box (2 BMS and 2 DCC); 1 of each is removed in this first picture:

IMG_8677.JPG

All the components:

IMG_8678.JPG

Provided lug doesn't fit in this configuration

IMG_8666.JPG

Another view - it hits the PCB and is precariously close to the heatsink

IMG_8667.JPG

This configuration isn't horrible but the bolt head still gets quite close to the metal case.

IMG_8668.JPG

Lug is right up against the PCB even in this configuration.

IMG_8669.JPG

Everything's just so close to the case

IMG_8670.JPG

IMG_8672.JPG

IMG_8673.JPG

3 more pictures coming ...

It's kinda sad that they are trying hard to fill a need with these devices .... but stumble over things like this. I really don't like them being that close together in general.
I think Steve is working with them for a resolution to this.

Looks like an easy fix to extend that out another 1/4 - 1/2 inch...wonder why they didn't do that, certainly couldn't be the material costs?

I just added my voice by emailing Jason at Chargery to let him know about the design problem.

My 22 amp load test which doesn't suffer from inverter ripple current (and gets accurate reading on the chargery) :ROFLMAO:

image0.jpeg

Interesting! I still need to order mine due to the first one I got was not asked if I wanted single or common port. Did not find out there is a difference in the DCC's until few weeks ago.

It states the driving voltage for the DCC is 12v. How is this supplied from the BMS if the battery voltage or external power source voltage is higher then 12v? It's my understanding the BMS charge / discharge controller port output voltage is the same as BMS supply voltage? Or am I missing something?

It states the driving voltage for the DCC is 12v. How is this supplied from the BMS if the battery voltage or external power source voltage is higher then 12v? It's my understanding the BMS charge / discharge controller port output voltage is the same as BMS supply voltage? Or am I missing something?
The voltage output for the relay / DCC port is always 12V.

I don't know how the Chargery BMS internally regulates that.

The voltage output for the relay / DCC port is always 12V.

I don't know how the Chargery BMS internally regulates that.
I do not know what voltage regulation/control is within the BMS itself, inevitably it would generate heat I imagine from dissipation of higher volts., The whole heat generation from dissipating that extra juice is IMO not the greatest thing to do with your gear. Using a "Good Quality" external Step-Down Converter from 24V/48V and up to 15V/3A is certainly a prudent option to go with.

NOTE, when I say "Good Quality Converter" I do NOT mean those cheap $15 potted buck converters in aluminium casings.
Also, is using ANY Converter, you have to ensure you get one that is capable of taking the full Voltage during charge, lest you fry it.
12V=14.6V / 24V=29.2V / 48V= 58.4V The devil is in the Fine Print Details, be aware of that.

Well bonus to Jason and Chargery for jumping on this so fast.
VERY cool guys. :) ? :cool:

How much is a 300amp one? Also would I use a 100 amp one to control the charger input?

The DCC is new obviously, there are likely going to be updates as things are discovered to improve or expand their capabilities. It takes time to know things like reliability & durability to be honest. I am keeping standard TE/Kilovac energy saver Contactors in reserve for "just in case". What is available right now is version 1.0a I guess (Chargery extended lug connectors & separated them a bit more, making it .0a). 4 Packs, 4 BMS, 4 DCC's.

That being said, I have backups for virtually everything. 2 Generators, 3 ways of heating, 3 ways of getting water, 3 ways to cook. I am offgrid, remote & rural, so it goes with the territory. I even have a backup Inverter/Charger and such because it can be days to get stuff up here.

Back