diy solar

diy solar

New Chargery DCC (DC Contactor)

Maybe a daft question but what is a dc contactor? what is its purpose? What does it do? Do I need one?

I've read the first page of the thread and looked at both the website and manual and cant find the answers

Thanks. I'm just building a setup with the 280 ah cells for 5th wheel. Started this about 3 months ago but was doing a lot of reading. BMS has been the hold up. Now I'm going to go with the chargery 300 amp.

Maybe a daft question but what is a dc contactor? what is its purpose? What does it do? Do I need one?

I've read the first page of the thread and looked at both the website and manual and cant find the answers

It's a relay designed for high amperage DC switching.

If you use a Chargery, you need a switching device - whether it's a relay/contactor or their DCC (solid-state relay) ..

It's a relay designed for high amperage DC switching.

If you use a Chargery, you need a switching device - whether it's a relay/contactor or their DCC (solid-state relay) ..
So essentially it turns the charger on and off when there is something like over voltage or under voltage?
Does it also work for over and under temp etc?

The DCC is new obviously, there are likely going to be updates as things are discovered to improve or expand their capabilities. It takes time to know things like reliability & durability to be honest. I am keeping standard TE/Kilovac energy saver Contactors in reserve for "just in case". What is available right now is version 1.0a I guess (Chargery extended lug connectors & separated them a bit more, making it .0a). 4 Packs, 4 BMS, 4 DCC's.

That being said, I have backups for virtually everything. 2 Generators, 3 ways of heating, 3 ways of getting water, 3 ways to cook. I am offgrid, remote & rural, so it goes with the territory. I even have a backup Inverter/Charger and such because it can be days to get stuff up here.
What happens when a DCC100 reaches 100amps current? The manual says the DCC100 Maximum current, at 85°C for 2 seconds 200A. Does it disconnect?

So essentially it turns the charger on and off when there is something like over voltage or under voltage?
Does it also work for over and under temp etc?

The DCC itself doesn't make those decisions. The Chargery BMS does. It instructs the DCC to turn on/off depending on the Chargery BMS conditions/settings (high/low voltage, temperature, etc).

The DCC itself doesn't make those decisions. The Chargery BMS does. It instructs the DCC to turn on/off depending on the Chargery BMS conditions/settings (high/low voltage, temperature, etc).
So like the relay use to do, this now does and the main difference is that it is not analog but a pcb with circuitry etc?

The Biggest Difference is the Power Consumption for the Contactor, compared to the TE/Kilovacs or the original Electro-Mechanical relays.

dcc-specs-jpg.26231

The Biggest Difference is the Power Consumption for the Contactor, compared to the TE/Kilovacs or the original Electro-Mechanical relays.

dcc-specs-jpg.26231
But in the end it is just a relay. Right?

But in the end it is just a relay. Right?
A relay is a mechanical / electrical device .... The DCC does the same switching as a relay but is a solid state device that draws a lot less current than a relay coil.
During normal operation, the relay .... or DCC ... will be energized all the time. That is why the solid state device is popular because a relay coil can run the battery down if it sits very long. You could put a switch in series with a relay coil on your mobility scooter if you want to shut off the load when not using or charging. You will have to decide whether you want common port or separate port setup. It would be good to read the wiring / installation portions of the Chargery manual closely.

A relay is a mechanical / electrical device .... The DCC does the same switching as a relay but is a solid state device that draws a lot less current than a relay coil.
During normal operation, the relay .... or DCC ... will be energized all the time. That is why the solid state device is popular because a relay coil can run the battery down if it sits very long. You could put a switch in series with a relay coil on your mobility scooter if you want to shut off the load when not using or charging. You will have to decide whether you want common port or separate port setup. It would be good to read the wiring / installation portions of the Chargery manual closely.
Thanks Bob :)
So it might behoove me to get this instead of the relays from Chargey then? Cool. :)

You'd just have to make sure you have room for it ... or them ... depending on whether or not you go common or separate port. I'd definitely use the DCC if you have room for it.

You'd just have to make sure you have room for it ... or them ... depending on whether or not you go common or separate port. I'd definitely use the DCC if you have room for it.
Um how big is this thing? Like a pack of cards or a bread box? :p

Um how big is this thing? Like a pack of cards or a bread box? :p
Rather than using relays and putting money towards them, why not get a BMS from Overkill Solar? You need a BMS anyways and the Overkill Solar has the option of using a switch to turn the BMS's discharge on or off. Plus he will connect the lugs for a small fee. Not meaning to derail or hijack the thread. But I think it would make more sense for you to go in this direction since your scooter load isn't great.

Thanks Bob :)
So it might behoove me to get this instead of the relays from Chargey then? Cool. :)
Considering that this is for a scooter, which will undoubtedly see various weather conditions, which in BC it can anything and quickly to boot. I'm not so sure that a DCC would be the right thing,. I think it would be better to use TE/Kilovac EVE Energy Saver relays, these are appropriate for the use case. If you decide to use a Fet Based BMS like the Overkill models, go for the higher amp handling of course, it's one of those better safe than sorry things where it's better to have more capacity than you will use then not enough and having unpleasantries.

The DCC is rated at -40 to 85C. The Chargery is rated for -20C ... and that says for the display. I didn't see a spec for the BMS itself but I'm sure it would be at least the -20C that the display is rated for ... The BMS itself would probably be OK even if the display was too cold.

That being said, I would do as much as possible to protect the BMS from the elements.

Wow, thanks for all of the ideas guys.
You guys are great.

Looks like big improvement of Chargery supplied options, especially for large battery currents. I am looking forward to some full amp testing results being shared / re voltage loss and heat; including at what amps, and time spans. What are the Takes of folks trying these DDC Contactors out? I notice 100 amp, 200 amp 300 amp and 600 amp models with good looking specs. Who really giving them some current runs to give us more reports ??? Eyes and Ears over this way :+)

Back