diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 3kW Off Grid All-In-One Inverter - Anyone with experience??

This unit looks perfect for my needs. I have a 8 breaker type 1 subpanel in my closet and plenty of clearance around it. I want to disconnect the hot wires feeding it, and then feed this unit into it, with one of your EG4 48V 100AH batteries. I like that there are minimal connections to make, less fire hazard, and that it feeds 110V not 240v. My main questions are, how noisy is it? and how to hook it to my breaker box, assuming this type breaker box will work. thanks Tom
It's about the same volume as any other similar sized inverter. I would say not louder or quieter than what you'd expect. Pretty much sounds like a computer most of the time.

So, @RichardfromEG4, since y'all have released two new inverters over the last month, both being 120V output varieties, is there a split phase (120/240V) version in the works?

hey richard, i bought an EG4 3k inverter, the manual is confusing. it says that the grid power in requires an 60 amp; breaker and the power out wants a 30 amp breaker. and then it goes on to say thaty a 10 guage wire should be ok. that makes no sense, 10 gauge is not sufficient for 30 or 60 amps. can you clarify this situation

hey richard, i bought an EG4 3k inverter, the manual is confusing. it says that the grid power in requires an 60 amp; breaker and the power out wants a 30 amp breaker. and then it goes on to say thaty a 10 guage wire should be ok. that makes no sense, 10 gauge is not sufficient for 30 or 60 amps. can you clarify this situation
10awg is what you use for 30A circuits

normally I would agree, but I'm going to run five branch circuits off it. and I really don't understand why you would need a sixty amp breaker feeding a 3k inverter.
It can pull 45A continuous through the AC input apparently so you need a 60A breaker

10awg= 30a bro

Just hooked up the EG4 3000 EHV-48 to 4s2p 240W used panels off grid to power my Tesla MY & power a few lights during outages.
The SmartESS program is the worst thing I've tried to use in many years, I've never been able to get it to work. Even Will in his vid on the EHV-48 showed he had problems.
Can someone tell me if there is another controller/data logger that will work with this equipment?
Thanks

Would it not work to have a simplistic offline wifi setup to monitor locally? IE could you not just set up a super low power wifi router/ap and connect to it with your iPhone when you wanted to monitor the setup? Or does this device actually need to see out to the internet?
Generally most halfway decent routers will utilize NAT loopback to eliminate the devices going out to a server to obtain info available locally. But that's predicated on the idea that this device supports such a feature as well. Just an idea for someone who's truly offgrid.

That said, get Starlink ;) It works brilliantly.
I have starlink it is fantastic & im not even in a serviced area LOL. 60 megs down all day. I shunt with wifi and should be easy to monitor.
I have the eg4 not installed yet and got 1 rack battery going to have 3 in total. I want to monitor mine for sure & with the starlink it makes it possible having wifi anywhere.

Just hooked up the EG4 3000 EHV-48 to 4s2p 240W used panels off grid to power my Tesla MY & power a few lights during outages.
The SmartESS program is the worst thing I've tried to use in many years, I've never been able to get it to work. Even Will in his vid on the EHV-48 showed he had problems.
Can someone tell me if there is another controller/data logger that will work with this equipment?
Thanks
I had issues with this too. I added and removed it so many times. I also downloaded the SMART ESS Client, there is s similar app, and i did a packet sniff on my network, the device gos to this ip address, so I decided to make an account on it.
http://8.210.123.202/main.html

I then removed the device from that site, which did display info, but the client app is worse than the SmartESS. After i removed it, ( I also had it removed from the first site of the original app.

I then re-registered with the SmartESS app, and added the device again, but I created a new user ID, I believe i used the same email address too.

I still didn't get it to work, but within an hour or two, data started to populate, and the little green icon on the app showed I had a device that was online. FINALLY. Then I used the app to realize that it was useless because you needed o look in the data manually to see the total generated for the day, or used. it did not have that in the graphed section.

there is a 5 minute delay for the wifi device to send data ( 5 minute polling) so almost useless. I will have to find a different solution.

I was using an SRNE 3KW inverter for this set up.

I still do not know why it worked. Bt I think the issue is that the device was not seen on the server, so it adds it to the account, and visible, but it hasnt been on long enough to actually link it. so after creating a new account it must of ben on there long enough. I am only guessing. I messed around with it for two days.

Note that the SmartESS Client app allowed you to atually download csv of all the data. I am looking to find which site will allow me to download it with the Smart ESS app. but no such luck. Seller on Aliexpress says no website for it. I figure if it originally could be found on the one, there must be another way to access the data on web browser. I tried to manually add the device to an account I had on the above IP, and it gave me this error

Failed to add datalog pn : QA5#########70,The number of miner has already existed-(usr: Q*****************5)
# was changed to hid the PN number, but the * at the end was not modified by me. interesting choice of words "miner" ?

What is this device really doing...

We actually are attempting to see if we can release the full modbus protocol and registry settings, but there are a lot of hoops to jump through for several reasons, both legally and technically.
Thank you Richard for working to make this open to the public. I understand how hard it is to get them published and appreciate all the work you are doing to make it happen.

At this time I'm not aware of any local monitoring options. It's not something I am happy about but working with the manufacturers that wasn't implemented (yet). A shunt is a pretty easy and inexpensive way to monitor through bluetooth until we can get that technology developed.

It would be great if you made your products Home Assistant ready.

Man, I'm glad there are forums on the interwebs. Having jumped into the solar research wormhole a week ago I was dead set on this unit... Till I found this thread. The AIO units seem awesome but if the data side works for shit is it really worth it.
I guess I'll continue my research to do a modular setup.

Hi all, I have two EG4 3000w inverters and have been working on getting better data out of them. As several have noted already, the SmartESS app sort of works but isn't the best. I did find that there is a web page that is similar to shine monitor and works with these units. http://www.dessmonitor.com. Use the same credentials as SmartESS. I have been trying to brute force my way through figuring out the Modbus register map and have made a little progress on the most important parameters like input/output/pv power, battery percentage, ect. Most promising news is that the solar assistant developer is working on adding support for these inverters! I have sent him what I have found so far. The SRNE setting sort of works but the register mapping is completely wrong. Hopefully it's just a quick rearrangement.

Back