diy solar

diy solar

New EG4 6500-EX firmware 79.66 - no change log

fmeili1

Solar Enthusiast
Just found a new firmware but no change log (just 2 days ago I've just updated my 6 inverters to 79.63 :rolleyes:). Any ideas about what's changed in 79.66?

unit sticking at 90V PV
Has anyone else that had the PV hanging at 90V issue and installed the 79.66 FW had this happen:

The 6500EX inverters are now reporting way more PV power than what is needed as load or to charge batteries. Example below:

PV FW Excel Data 041023.jpg

Has anyone else that had the PV hanging at 90V issue and installed the 79.66 FW had this happen:

The 6500EX inverters are now reporting way more PV power than what is needed as load or to charge batteries. Example below:

View attachment 144060
Would you mind downloading your data log and sending it over to tech@signaturesolar.com I would like to get some more eyes on this to see what we can do for you.

downloading your data
@BenFromSignatureSolar

The FW 79.66 does NOT resolve PV low voltage issues. It does not hang at 90V any longer but now it simply fluctuates in a low voltage range until the PV breaker is turn off/on or just wait for the inverters to eventually get to full voltage. Turning the PV breaker off/on resets the PV voltage to what it should be. Attached here are 2 photos, one shows the inverters eventually get to full PV voltage, the other shows the breaker being turn off/on.

Eventually gets to full voltage:

PV Voltage Slowly increases S.jpg

OFF/ON

PV Voltage Off On S.jpg

I've noticed the same thing, PV voltage stuck at 90V and until PV current rises about 4A the MPPT will just idle along. Usually resolves itself in about 15 minutes as PV amperage rises. If the PV is switched off and back on, the voltage will be over 300V and the MPPT will output over twice the watts.

I installed the latest mobile firmware update and it still does the same. For something such an RV with limited PV array due to real estate, this could be a problem if every watt is needed.

And this explains why the solar production wattage is 400-600W higher than needed for consumption wattage?

What needs to be done is the time between sweeps of the MPPT needs to be quicker. I think the time interval is too long with current firmware.

When morning is sunny until 1030 then it’s raining and heavy overcast with SOC beginning the day at 15%.
I agree, the MPPT does not seem to be efficient at maximizing PV early in the day. Doesn't do any good with an hour of wasted production.

Eventually gets to full voltage

So am I correct in reading that you have 1 Inverter that jumped up to 200v @ 9:15. While the other Inverter stayed at 100v until 9:55 when it jumped to 200v?
And that the inverter that jumped to 200v earlier was outputting ~200w, while the one stuck at 100v was outputting ~100w?

I have this issue with mine and was hoping the firmware update would help. I havnt installed it yet though.

*Can you tell me, @Sundown, what you think might be the difference between your 2 inverters?

*Did you purchase them at the same time? (aka are their manufacture dates close to each other?)
*Which one works better? Your 2p1 or 2p2? Have you tried switching their roles?

It looks like you have about the same number of panels going to each MPPT on each Inverter.

Im wondering because one of my split phase 6500 will usually have voltage ~200v while the other is ~90v.
The one that works better is the old hardware (black AC terminals). This one is set to 2p1, while my 2p2 that doesnt work as well is the newer hardware (silver AC terminals). I have not tried switching their roles as 2p1/2p2.

am I correct
Yes, but that math applies to four strings. A little difficult when everything is in yellow. Should it not resolve on its own, it could amount to a 25-28% production loss if left unattended on cloudy, low production days.

hoping the firmware update would help
79.66 does prevent the inverters from hanging at 90V but now remains at 90-120V until the amperage rises to what it likes in order to jump from a low voltage to full voltage seems to be an issue. I have gone through several weeks of data and determined that one inverter will go to full voltage at 0.75 amps while the other will remain at low voltage until the amperage reaches 1.5-2.5. I am not positive if it is the same one, I am now watching that aspect.

difference between your 2 inverters
None, that I can see externally.

manufacture dates
These are not my original inverters. The issues I was having with the original inverters I no longer have ... except for getting to full PV voltage. After updating to FW 79.66, I now have a large disparity between what is reported for PV production and load (consumption and charge) as discussed and illustrated in post #4. I am unsure if this occurred prior to the update with these new inverters, I wasn't looking for that at the time. These inverters are tagged 10/22 as were all 7 that were sent to replace the original two. Longer story.

I received an email from SigSolar tech yesterday evening saying:

We just released an update on eg4's website that should address this [disparity] issue. If you would update your firmware and email me back letting me know if this addressed your issue that would be great.

The new version is 79.67.

I have not yet heard back about the PV low voltage issue.

An example from a few weeks ago:

040623 PV S.jpg

Last edited:
It should be used if you have issues with your unit sticking at 90V PV production. Not everyone will need this update
Thinking about updating firmware to the newest release. Is this an example of the 90v mppt issue? I never noticed 90v MPPT being a problem and when it does happen it's during low light, production is typically really low and goes to full power after the sun hits the panels.

As you can see from the full data in the last photo, this only occurs when solar production isn't sufficient So I'm not sure this would have a noticeable impact on production.

I'm currently on 79.63

Screenshot_20230503_100920_Edge.jpgScreenshot_20230502_125508_WatchPower.jpg

Screenshot_20230503_101943_Edge.jpg

Thinking about updating firmware to the newest release. Is this an example of the 90v mppt issue? I never noticed 90v MPPT being a problem and when it does happen it's during low light, production is typically really low and goes to full power after the sun hits the panels.

As you can see from the full data in the last photo, this only occurs when solar production isn't sufficient So I'm not sure this would have a noticeable impact on production.

I'm currently on 79.63
If you switch PV off when it is holding at 90V and switch it back on, it will then be at the Vmp of your panel string. I've tried and the MPPT does not sweep often enough at early morning sun.

For a small array, it could be enough to cover the overhead for running the inverters for a whole day.

If you switch PV off when it is holding at 90V and switch it back on, it will then be at the Vmp of your panel string. I've tried and the MPPT does not sweep often enough at early morning sun.

For a small array, it could be enough to cover the overhead for running the inverters for a whole day.
Yea one problem. I don't get up until 9am. ??

Is this an example of the 90v mppt issue?
The only way you can really tell is if one of your MPPTs is at a much higher voltage than the others, and resetting the one at 90v causes it to instantly rise to to the level of the others. Or if all of your MPPTs are at 90v and resetting one causes it to jump up to 200v immediately.

I still havnt updated my firmware but I saw the 90v issue this morning. Goes something like - 2x SCC are putting out 500w each at ~200v (both of these on one inverter). Other inverter only has 1x SCC connected, but is at 250w 90v. I watched it change... when the 2x working correctly hit 700w, I watched the one at 250w 90v climb all the way up to 250v, and match the power output (700w) that the other SCCs were doing.

Hard to tell from your screenshots @Zapper77 if it is naturally sitting at 90v because of low light, or if its because it wasnt able to find the better power point that exists at a higher voltage. Looks like you were getting almost no power at all when you were at 90v, so it could have just been a normal low light situation.

naturally sitting at 90v because of low light, or if its because it wasnt able to find the better power point that exists at a higher voltage. Looks like you were getting almost no power at all when you were at 90v, so it could have just been a normal low light situation.
I figured it's just low light and normal.

Here is an example from this morning. Maybe I'll update the firmware this evening.

Screenshot_20230504_120203_Edge.jpgScreenshot_20230504_120138_Edge.jpg

It will still do it with the updated firmware........

I don't know what the criteria is for a MPPT sweep. At least is better than the Growatt on my truck camper that would continually reboot in low light draining the battery. I added a switch to just turn PV off/on under low light.

It will still do it with the updated firmware........

I don't know what the criteria is for a MPPT sweep. At least is better than the Growatt on my truck camper that would continually reboot in low light draining the battery. I added a switch to just turn PV off/on under low light.
It's so early in the morning that I'm not expecting anything. My solar strings have a Voc of 390 and 294 so while I don't expect to see a measurable increase in my production, I could see someone will a lower Voc benefiting.

My VOC is over 400V. You would think the MPPT would see that VOC and adjust. But the display will show 90V and hold there.

My VOC is over 400V. You would think the MPPT would see that VOC and adjust. But the display will show 90V and hold there.
How long is the MPPT stuck at 90v? Looking at my system...its less than 20 minutes.

How long is the MPPT stuck at 90v? Looking at my system...its less than 20 minutes.
I mentioned somewhere in a thread maybe even this one, usually less than 30 minutes but could be almost an hour. Not a problem with a large array but for something like an RV with limited real estate I could see this as a problem.

20 minutes
Some hang up at 90V some do not. It also isn't a matter of low morning light; I have had it hang 90 all day on cloudy overcast days losing 50%+/- production. I am using FW 79.67. The update appears to have released PV from 90V. Used to stay at 90v until it felt like jumping to full voltage, now the PV fluctuates 100-118V but whether it goes to full voltage sooner IDK. That said, if one is at low voltage while the other is at full, switching the PV off/on always (for me) makes it go up and stay at full voltage provided the amps are high enough (I've found that to be around 0.7A).

This morning, cloudy rain. One inverter seems to always go to full at 0.75A, while the other likes 1.25A.

PV FW 79.67 050423 cloudy rain.jpg

diy solar

diy solar
Back