diy solar

diy solar

New no battery pure sine wave solar power system with smart switchers.

Just helped a young person save hundreds on plumbing repairs to sell a home in preparation hopefully to get into a new house of their own. Was the only one telling her out of four people that she can handle it herself, After getting the single handle Kohler replacement valves it took around an hour total to swap them out. She was full of excitement at the fact she did it herself!

YouTube has an endless library of help in any subject you can think of, recently I learned circuit board Cad program and circuit board production.

I encourage everyone to expand and explore, Nothing feels better than doing it yourself and saving a bundle in the process, electronic devices are designed with error codes that brick the device, got two more years out of a dishwasher with a spot of epoxy glue and resetting the error code.

More soon best wishes πŸ’š

Have a two FET inverter ready for full power testing built from the ground up for maximum performance and 15 amps.

Due to the 30K gate close resistor on the P channel FET the gate trigger needs a smaller current flow to do the job correctly turning on the FET, after many changes and bench testing the final configuration was a 100K potentiometer and 44K fixed resistors for P channel and 50K potentiometer on the N channel.

Have two fully bench tested inverters one 10amp and the 15Amp, don't yet have the solar panels for 15Amp full test.

Will start long term testing tomorrow as long as sun conditions are good, All potentiometers are marked for low and high limits, both inverter 555 timers are on fixed resistors for 59 to 60.4 Hz operation.

Voltage controlled relay will only run full loads when full sun/voltage is detected.

More soon πŸ˜€

Last edited:
Adding a blue LED when the 555 timer is running on the new two FET inverter.

Project system running great.πŸ’š

Will add this to the main circuit board drawing and publish with version 1.6 in a couple more days Gerber/ drill files and more, have worked almost nightly on the Cad drawings you might want the updated files πŸ˜€

More soon

Be sure to get primetwofet16.zip for the latest of everything PCB,Parts list and help,Gerber files,Drill files and more.

Have worked hard on the PCB to respaced the parts, Reduced cross talk on the traces and maximize amp flow to the inverter output.

Ready for some long term power production with pure solar input πŸ’š

Best wishes

Attachments

• 20240630_163518~2.jpg
    20240630_163518~2.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 7
Added a picture to the previous post, My EV car is still stuck at the dealership since 21st of November 2023 about 240 days, no real contact with customer care, Last big thing was an abrupt call about three weeks ago saying they had located a main high voltage battery for my car and they were contacting the dealership X2 now.

Called the dealership about three days later to talk to the main mechanic about the EV and he said he was told to change out the battery management unit (BMS) and see if he can get the car working again, Car was brought to the dealership with a high voltage battery recall notice NHTSA 23V218, I have no clue what in the world is going on in the world today.

Scope picture 15Amp board at idle P channel on top N channel on the bottom, sine wave rounds out on the bottom as you load the inverter, long term full power testing is on hold for a blue sky day. Out of 5 amps glassed fused maximum in previous testing just over 3 amps has been run for hours at a time.

Looking for more this time around.

Second photo two FET inverter best demo so far at dual 140VDC solar inputs lasted hours.

More soon πŸ˜€

Best wishes

Attachments

• 20240615_180433~3.jpg
    20240615_180433~3.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240616_085712~3.jpg
    20240616_085712~3.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Started live testing dual 140VDC on the latest 15Amp two FET inverter, off to a bumpy start, for unknown reason cycle Hz went down to 48Hz, obviously my low voltage tweaks are not translating well to 140VDC operation mode, Back to baby steps till I get forward progress no damage done today but need to reinstall 100K potentiometer adjustment for 60Hz signal adjustment at 48Hz the pure sine circuit does not function.

As I stated earlier testing different configurations on multiple power boards will eventually pay off in a big wayπŸ’š

Best part is you will be the second one to know the secret the second I get it right, recent bench testing points to big energy switching availability in the FETs at just 24VDC dual input an accidental short on the inverter output exploded the main 15Amp diodes (bad news today but good news when wanting to run big continuous loads on solar)

More tomorrow πŸ˜€

More soon

Last edited:
Off to a better start today after changing out the 555 timer capacitor and adding back the potentiometer for the 60Hz signal adjustment, detected trash in the 555 timer square wave. Before parts replacement.

Started full loads at 9AM ET, Running digital radio, lawn mower lithium battery charger, Small heater, Two lights and more, planning a 5PM shutdown.

Focus today is long run time with various loads on the Two FET inverter in full sun conditions, So far so good πŸ’š

Stumbled across something important first noticed the lights were brighter than the analog meters 90VAC should allow, using a digital voltage meter found something interesting measuring with the probes in opposing direction one way measures 138 VAC the other direction 92VAC, after fixing a voltage probe I will see if they can be balanced.

More later today

Attachments

• 20240703_094102~2.jpg
    20240703_094102~2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240703_094131~2.jpg
    20240703_094131~2.jpg
    255.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240703_104555~2.jpg
    20240703_104555~2.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Wow huge step forward 11:20 AM using a cheap digital meter from Harbor Freight detected on 200volt AC scale one direction had a much higher voltage than the other (138VAC and 92VAC) from inverters 120VAC output, small optic coupler adjustments brought them into equal voltage and everything instantly running smoother✨️

Testing continues, today is about long-term running mixed loads, later maximum amps 11:30 AM now testing ends 5PM today, Best ever all about best sinewave and P&N channels being in voltage balance πŸ˜€

Needs real full sized ISO transformer testing later but small transformer for the oscilloscope says I just fixed the transformer throughput issue I have been experiencing all along.😎

12 Noon everything looks great 😍

more soon

Last edited:
Going to start listing all the things learned since this morning from testing, My pulsed tankless electric water heater influences the transformer based 12VDC power supply for the 555 timer in such a way as to make the inverter output waver, Clean 12VDC to the 555timer is paramount may be necessary to drive the fan motor from a second power source like the inverter output.

It is all about making the best sinewave and setting the P and N channels for equal/balanced voltage output, simply amazing results so far today, Next testing will be ISO output transformer testing 10amp and maximum loading of the FETs

Inverter runs smooth/temperature cool/very low input 12VDC for 60Hz signal, unit self powers two floating power supplies for independent gate voltage, resistors in the power supply in two minutes will bleed down the high voltage capacitors after disconnecting the PV inputs, Stone cold dead and safe to service. (Safety first all ways short the DC inputs before servicing).

Here is a current sample from the oscilloscope under heavy load, yes more work can be done on the top P channel and in the past I have had it look better (15K gate close resistor)

This voltage balance will let you adjust the dual set of input panels for several different conditions like lighting,mixed solar panels and other conditions to obtain max/even power.

Lawn mower lithium batteries recharged in less than two hours.πŸ’š

More additional soon

Attachments

• 20240703_123441~2.jpg
    20240703_123441~2.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240703_145042~2.jpg
    20240703_145042~2.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240703_145151~2.jpg
    20240703_145151~2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240703_145114~2.jpg
    20240703_145114~2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Test ended at 5 PM clock was set to display 5:00 @ 5PM.

Two test scheduled for tomorrow Output ISO transformer test and maximum loading.

Today's testing passed all expectations also found the real adjustment to stabilize/equalize the P and N channels for more robust operating conditions.

Today was a Home Run for the solar two FET inverter πŸ’š

Last photo clean shut down, Turned off 60Hz signal and opened dual PV switches.

More tomorrow πŸ˜€

Attachments

• 20240703_165924~2.jpg
    20240703_165924~2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240703_165933~2.jpg
    20240703_165933~2.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240703_170056~2.jpg
    20240703_170056~2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240703_145047~2.jpg
    20240703_145047~2.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240606_151801~3.jpg
    20240606_151801~3.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Third day of testing ended at 10:45 AM, normal shut down, Two FET Inverter is OK for more testing later on.

ISO output transformer test passed, Low noise and passed 3.2 amps to a heater also was running secondary smoothly for the main project system for a short time.

Pulled 4 amps out of a possible 5amps fused on a heater load test only problem the voltage dips to the high 80VAC range.
Could have gone back to the optic coupler adjustments for more amps/volts but decided to end the testing before damaging the FETs again.

Done for now, may be months before more live solar testing on the two FET inverter πŸ’š

Two FET inverter is a big success, needs a few more adjustments but definitely a keeper, Only mystery is how far the maximum limit is on the optic coupler adjustment till you short the MOSFETS.

Balanced P & N channel output voltage is the key to big performance from this inverter.πŸ˜€

Not sure the P channel has the optimal gate close resistor would like to test a 20K resistor in that spot for better top sinewave, N channel gets better the more you load the inverter.✨️
Best wishes to all

Attachments

• 20240530_204509~3.jpg
    20240530_204509~3.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240630_163518~3.jpg
    20240630_163518~3.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Seriously considering purchasing more solar panels for a vertical wall of solar panels that drives a dual board two FET inverter πŸ’š

You could add one of the popular rechargeable power centers for round the clock power availability.

More information added to several previous post.

Best wishes

Got questioned about the silicone blobs, Reused optic couplers from the first cardboard based test inverter.

Have not lost a single optic coupler in testing, Amazing devices that has amazing high voltage isolation in excess of 10,000 volts, Lucky the inverters maximum voltage is only 140VDC, considering that we are talking power production this is a very low number.

Best wishes

Made roof top solar panel wiring changes to up the dual 140VDC feeds back to normal 180VDC for the project system😊

Project system back to full 15Amps on solar to run the mini split the rest of this summer and Quartz tube heaters this winter for increased comfort in the homeπŸ’š

Have grid powered backups for heating and cooling in case the solar input is not sufficient.

On a good sun day the 120VAC mini-split can cool the 4 largest rooms in a 1,400 square foot home.Solar powered ceiling fans and LED lights off the same system makes things nice.

Inverters around $100, standard 12VDC solar panels $80 each, ISO transformer 10amp new $225. Even on a bad solar day you get enough power to charge batteries/LED light systems.

Mini-split split pulls around 800watts air conditioning and 1,000 watts for heatpump defrost cycle.

On YouTube was a commercial for a 3,600 BTU heat pump 120VAC 200watt to 800watt rated, 35 pounds with a flexible exhaust tube to the outside.

Best wishes

Last edited:
Remember me telling you the two FET inverter runs on a 50% duty cycle, Just send the 60Hz signal inverted to a second two FET power board and get double the power from the same set of solar panels, Already in progress πŸ˜€

Also started Cad drawings for my version of the four FET 40N65 MOSFETs single input power board with 555 timer 60Hz signal.

More later

Project system running the mini-split and much more smoothly.πŸ˜€

Think I can eliminate the $20 P FET for a $5 N FET with reverse drain to source flow, much bench testing ahead.

Wish I could give everyone the chance to try one out, after a couple months no way would you want to give it back, think about what the display is telling you, Makes me smile every time I go out the back door 😊

One system voltage controlled relay with timer keeps the inverter happy and protected.

Remember the blown 10 amp fuse on the 10amp ISO transformer, If the secondary ISO transformer was 15Amp it would have never happened period.

More later

Attachments

• 20240707_101359~2.jpg
    20240707_101359~2.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just purchased a 15.3 amp adjustable transformer on sale from Amazon for $51.99, what it really is a ISO transformer with an exposed coil and adjustable knob to select the output voltage.

This transformer will be used as the secondary input ISO fused at 15amps for the Project power system and the existing ISO 10amp transformer will be used in the two FET inverter project for DC fault protection.

Best wishes

Reading the reviews on the transformer just ordered, ISO transformer is nice but, Customer said think of it as a kit and you will be fine, You will need to inspect and replace hardware mounts for the transformer base also you must change the factory ground for true Isolation, said thank goodness it was shipped in a plastic bag

Going to config for isolation and glass 15Amp fuse think it is shipped with four extra glass fuses, will be used as the main secondary input for the Project power system πŸ˜€

Honored to be called on, Houston Texas doctor wants to talk to me about the power outage and quadruple rate electricity.
Blew his mind when I told him my normal electric bill runs around $60 per month.

Starting the conversation with you know how much they want to charge me for solar? My way 15AMPS 120VAC starter system the solar panels cost $2,400, the Inverter $200, and $300 for the transformers and electrical supplies.

Best to install before the lights go out, no one is immune to an outage and the cost of electricity has increased over 20% plus in the past four years.

2nd time this has happened first time long power outage in Michigan prompted interest in the Project power system.

Just add one of the new Li-Ion battery power stations for 24/7 power availability.

Best wishes πŸ’š

Last edited:
Not yet functional but getting close, Teaser photo of single PV high voltage 180VDC input, Four 40N65 MOSFETs. My version of the project power board designed around the 555 timer.

Have also got the logic correct for driving the two FET inverter in pairs to extract 100% of the solar energy instead of 50% duty cycle. More bench testing required on both projects before the big steps forward.πŸ˜€

More soon

Attachments

• 20240711_223228~2.jpg
    20240711_223228~2.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 6
Electrically just adding two isolated flashing leds to the circuitboard optic couplers, Right now have run into multiple problems connecting to the secondary two FET power board, count 3 separate issues 😳

The matrix says (NO) you can't, challenge accepted no reason this should not work smoothly game on again πŸ˜€

Going to learn something important here no matter what, just attempting to pull 100% from the solar panel arrays instead of 50% duty cycle.

More soon

Last edited:
KiCad 6.0 just passed my board design for the four FET 40N65 solar power board based on the simple 555 timer 60 Hz configuration 140 to 180VDC input.

Based on known good/tested configurations but this unique mix has likely never been tested before, Much testing ahead to qualify the inverters output. I have high hopes for this design will soon make Gerber files package available to all.

More soon πŸ˜€

New untested pre release V1 four 40N65 FETs, may have messed up where gate triggers cross from positive to negative sides, project system uses four separate triggers from the DY002-2 CPU may need to add two more optic couplers to this design. Just wanted to get this out there so others might help me or get a head start on the worlds newest solar inverter.

Get full package "V1fourfetnew.zip" and have fun, more bench testing in the next couple weeks, Have very high hopes for this design.

Just noticed the 800 ohm resistors are missing from the optic coupler LED inputs as a safety from overloading the input LED.

More soon πŸ˜€

Attachments

• 20240711_223231~3.jpg
    20240711_223231~3.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Small step forward found a loose connection to negative side power of the N channel FET on the secondary two FET inverter, can now with a 3 volt battery independently trigger the N & P channel FETs by powering the led of the optic coupler, Sorry for slow progress but busy with other things the past few days.

Next step is to drive a second LED off the main inverter P & N channels with out effecting the primary output.

More soon πŸ˜€

diy solar

diy solar
Back