diy solar

diy solar

New vind generator does not charge battries. Help needed!

Ulltand

"Hello! I need a little support on my new installation. Please see the attached pictures below. The wind speed is gusty at 10 m/s, and the propeller is spinning fast. The diode is flashing strongly, and I measure 10 volts between all phases from the generator. The controller diode "break" is lit, and the charging diode on the controller is flashing weakly. The battery pack is 24V type at 23.3V and is lead-based. There is no DC charging from the controller, and if the battery is disconnected, there is about 10 volts of DC from the controller. Thank you, and best regards."

3 phase wid generator 24 volt 400 W (Marsrock)
24 volt AGM batteries
WT060 12/24V controller
thumbnail 3.jpgthumbnail.jpgthumbnail 1.jpg

If I narrow the question down a bit. The three phase 24V/400 W generator outputs 10 V in wind speed around 10m/s.

Is that not way to low?

Last edited:
Yeah you're not going to charge 24V batteries with only 10V coming from the thing.

Everything I've seen points to small wind being worthless.

Yeah you're not going to charge 24V batteries with only 10V coming from the thing.

Everything I've seen points to small wind being worthless.
I guess so. And its not the controller that schould "lift" the voltage to a correct level?

It needs a minimum input voltage. It should say what the minimum is. But it needs some total overall power to be able to do it with. If there's nothing there, it can't boost the voltage. That low of a voltage reading tells me it isn't really doing much and it needs a higher consistent wind to start producing anything. If your gusts are only 10 m/s (22mph), then your sustained wind (which is what you need) is much lower.

Did that turbine come with any spec sheet on how much power it produces for a given constant wind speed?

Disclaimer: I am no expert on this stuff, just have read some on here and elsewhere about small wind and stuff like that (enough that I'm not going to ever bother with it around here).

It needs a minimum input voltage. It should say what the minimum is. But it needs some total overall power to be able to do it with. If there's nothing there, it can't boost the voltage. That low of a voltage reading tells me it isn't really doing much and it needs a higher consistent wind to start producing anything. If your gusts are only 10 m/s (22mph), then your sustained wind (which is what you need) is much lower.

Did that turbine come with any spec sheet on how much power it produces for a given constant wind speed?

Disclaimer: I am no expert on this stuff, just have read some on here and elsewhere about small wind and stuff like that (enough that I'm not going to ever bother with it around here).
Its a 6 blade propp sutible for low wind they say. If I recall correct it should deliver 400 W at 15m/s. As soon as it starts turning i messure volts that looks linear to the wind speed. Maximun speed so far gives only 10 V. I have tryed to disconnect the controller shortly but it has no effekt on the output voltage from the generator (taking out any breaks from the equasion)

I also messure DC current to battery pack but is zero. Support does not answer.

Last edited:
Back