diy solar

diy solar

Off grid in the middle of no where, so hello!

Watts don’t change with voltage
Lets try another approach: If there is 8064 WH that can be pulled, like a 6 watt light blub., batteries would last 2016 hours If I hook up a 24 watt light blub, batteries would last 336 hours. would I not drain the batteries faster? For some reason my brain still cant grasp this.

Lets try another approach: If there is 8064 WH that can be pulled, like a 6 watt light blub., batteries would last 2016 hours If I hook up a 24 watt light blub, batteries would last 336 hours. would I not drain the batteries faster? For some reason my brain still cant grasp this.
Your math is a bit flawed. 8064 / 6 is 1344, which is 4 times 336

OK, so my brain is not working very well this morning but, if you have this:8 305p 336ah Trojan flooded batteries 4s2p configuration after a year of using I've learned too small of a battery bank.
Each battery has 336 AH at 6 volts. This would be 2016 WH at 6 volts.
Flooded batteries you should not drain past 50% so now you have 1008 WH available at 6 volts.
You have 8 batteries which you would have 8064 WH at 6 volts.
You are running a 24 volt Inverter, so now you have 2016 WH at 24 volts.
300 watt draw will last only 6.72 hours?
I know its early but is this correct?
He wants to only use 20% of the flooded capacity. I don't think it's a case of running out of battery, just what his limits are.
As a 2P configuration, it is 336Ah x 2 = 672Ah
672Ah x 50% is 336Ah useable for flooded, if it was LFP at 90% useable = 604Ah
It is 8064 Wh at 24V.
8064 Wh x 20%= 1612Wh
So yeah, a 300W draw for 6.72 hrs = 2016Wh which is just over the 20%, more like 25%. As he doesn't want to stress his batteries for longevity, he is doing fine for that part. Just a 200Ah 24V LFP would almost double the amount of watts or runtime. Same 300w draw would easily be 12 hours. Actually 14.4 for 90% of capacity.

LFP batteries is on the list once these batteries go bad. Not in any hurry as LFP batteries are getting cheaper every day. I especially like the new LFP all in one systems. Ecoflow seems really nice with the extra battery pack. Or I'll just go with one of the new LFP battery packs that are easy to expand.

@wkyongae , I've added quite a bit since we spoke before (we're local), if you want to see my Lifepo4 battery setup you're welcome to check it out here in town at the moment. I'm doing the DIY cells and I'm planning to order more as well. I'd be glad to help if you want to go that route.
Also if @Zwy comes out, we should get together. I have been thinking of heading up to my property if the road is good.

Watts is what watts is. What watts are is volts and amps spoken in the language of energy/power. Watts are a static value; whatever time is is how you get what the watt hours are, and watts is the product of volts times amps. Watts don’t change what changes is volts and amps and for how long.

A gallon is a gallon but it could be made up of four quarts, eight pints, or 128oz but they still equal a gallon. A 40 W bulb is still 40 watts at 120 volt (0.3A) and 12V (3A).
If you leave the 40W bulb on for four hours that’s 160 watt hours. At any voltage.

Reactions: GLC
Watts is what watts is. What watts are is volts and amps spoken in the language of energy/power. Watts are a static value; whatever time is is how you get what the watt hours are, and watts is the product of volts times amps. Watts don’t change what changes is volts and amps and for how long.

A gallon is a gallon but it could be made up of four quarts, eight pints, or 128oz but they still equal a gallon. A 40 W bulb is still 40 watts at 120 volt (0.3A) and 12V (3A).
If you leave the 40W bulb on for four hours that’s 160 watt hours. At any voltage.
I don't know why I was having such a problem with this yesterday, for some reason today it make sense.

Back