diy solar

diy solar

Off grid solar well pump setup

Matt3

This is for me a single man living in a single wide trailer located in DeRidder, LA. I'm working most of the time and already have a solar pond irrigation system for my garden. So I don't have huge water needs. This will be a completely off grid system. I will be filling a 300 gallon tank using an rps solar submersible pump from the well casing. This is a kit so I'm good with water to the tank. I plan on using a 1h/p jet pump with a 60/40 switch with an 80 gallon pressure tank. To pressure waterline to the house. I'm open to ideas about the most efficient and least power consumption to get water from the tank to my main water line for the house. So, if my jet pump system could be improved I'm all ears.I also don't want to have overkill on my jet pump. I will be pumping on flat ground to about a 25 ft distance give or take from the tank to the main water line. I'm open to suggestions about jet pump sizing as well. I've heard so many different opinions on the amount of power that I need that I'm a little confused. I was wondering if someone could help with the pv array, charge controller, inverter, and battery bank sizing that I would need according to my current not future living conditions to satisfy basically a shower at night and some dishwashing, brushing teeth, washing hands.

Last edited:
You have to start with your power draw of your pump if that is all you need the solar for. Voltage of pump x Amps of your pump= Watts x the number of hours in a day that you want to run it. This calculation will work for any electrical device that you are going to run off of solar. Once you have this you then look the size of inverter then your battery storage then your controller and lastly panels.

Although it is not powered by solar I run a 1/2hp (10.08 amps) pump 30-50psi to my 20 gal. pressure tank from tank storage. It is more than adequate for showering, clothes washing and running everything I need at my place. However if I was running on solar power I would probably go to a DC pump unit that runs on demand to minimize power requirements.

Why such a large pump and pressure tank?

Although it is not powered by solar I run a 1/2hp (10.08 amps) pump 30-50psi to my 20 gal. pressure tank from tank storage. It is more than adequate for showering, clothes washing and running everything I need at my place. However if I was running on solar power I would probably go to a DC pump unit that runs on demand to minimize power requirements.

Why such a large pump and pressure tank?
I don't know. I seem to always go overkill on things but I'm glad you shared what works for you so I can downsize.

I plan on using a 1h/p jet pump with a 60/40 switch with an 80 gallon pressure tank.
Jet pumps are brutal loads for off grid systems. With that large 80G pressure tank and your lifestyle you might be able to get away with RV style diaphragm pump which would help to greatly reduce the size and cost of your system.

I don't know. I seem to always go overkill on things but I'm glad you shared what works for you so I can downsiz

Jet pumps are brutal loads for off grid systems. With that large 80G pressure tank and your lifestyle you might be able to get away with RV style diaphragm pump which would help to greatly reduce the size and cost of your system.
Thanks. Are there any sources that could be recommended for me concerning these on demand dc water pumps.

Back