diy solar

diy solar

Ordered a few 450 watt sungold panels

Crowz

Solar Wizard
Ordered a pair of the 450watt ones from Sungold last friday to try them out. Probably will be what I switch over to since my 255's are aging poorly.

Bad news is they haven't shipped yet. I contacted Sungold and they said they were stuck in customs and they should be mailed out before this friday.

I loath waiting on stuff :)

I wanted to get them thru amazon but they were out of stock.

Anyone else running them?

Ordered a pair of the 450watt ones from Sungold last friday to try them out. Probably will be what I switch over to since my 255's are aging poorly.

Bad news is they haven't shipped yet. I contacted Sungold and they said they were stuck in customs and they should be mailed out before this friday.

The larger watt panels would be nice if they were not so large. One guy ( an old beat up guy like myself) would need help with handling and mounting. I have found that 200w panels size is about my practical limit.

I also hate waiting but with so much of my stuff being shipped from China on ancient wind powered Junks that have to travel round the Horn of Africa or across the Mighty Pacific Ocean to the West Coast, be sequestered in California for a few months due to arcane California laws that require everything to be moved by only environmentally approved methods (Teslas can only haul so many packages at a time) while in State, before finally hitting a Hub in Texas or New Jersey and being shipped to me.

I also hate waiting but with so much of my stuff being shipped from China on ancient wind powered Junks that have to travel round the Horn of Africa or across the Mighty Pacific Ocean to the West Coast, be sequestered in California
My globe make that seem like a very odd trip ?
Do they travel from China, past the horn of Africa, across the Atlantic, around South America, or do they use the Panama Canal? Or say high at South Africa and turn around to cross the Indian Sea again and then the Pacific?

Maybe you're ordering the more worldly products that need to make and extra half a lap around the globe. ?

Alternatively, you could order things not made in China.

I wanted to get them thru amazon but they were out of stock.

Anyone else running them?
Running similar panels by Solarever. Made in Mexico. Got mine from SS but there are other sources. I've been happy with them. They start producing with just a hint of light. They even perk up for a second when we get lightning at night. Kinda weird when the inverter beeps that it's making solar at night.

Well were starting on week number 2 and they still haven't shipped my panels yet.

Claimed this past friday fedex didnt pickup that day (so Im guessing that means customs cleared and they have them now) and that they would go out monday which is today and still no shipping info.

Emailed again just now to see whats up.

This one keeps getting better and better.

I will do a full post of exactly what happened shortly but as of right now sungold will not be who I will be buying my 450 watt panels from.

Ok FINALLY have new panels ordered. I went with the Renogy 450watt panels that look pretty much identical to the sungold ones.

Also I got them from amazon so I have that protection on my side this time. Plus amazon actually has them not Renogy so another part of the bet hedged.

Bad part is two week for delivery :( Hoping that part goes faster than they are claiming but I doubt it.

Hope the OP's saga ends successfully soon!
I've got to bite the bullet and start using a panel or two for a Delta Pro that I've owned since May. I was thinking of a pair of 550w or 450w Renogy off eBay. 150V max input on the MPPT has me hesitating. I've been discharging during peak demand to 40% capacity and charging with grid AC at night on the lowest 400w setting to 85%. Works just fine except Ahem not having any PV.

Last edited:
My experience with the sungold online store was horrible.

I purchased the panels and they never shipped them.

The first contact with them email wise said the following :

Dear Customer

Sorry to keep you waiting so long.

Because the customs clearance delayed,the solar panels will be sent out before this Friday. Could you wait a while?

Sorry to all the inconvenience for you.

Best regards,

SunGoldPower Support Team

Ok stuck in customs. I can deal with that.

6/26/23

Next on 7/1/23

Dear Customer

Sorry for the late reply.

Since the fedex dont come to pick up the package, we will ship to you next Monday.

Err k. I can't picture fedex not picking up from a biz if asked to but hey stuff happens.

Next on 7/3/23 (That monday they were referring too)

Dear Customer

Sorry to tell you that our warehouse is closed on July 3 and 4.

We will check and reply you on Wednesday.

Ok 4ths a holiday no problem there.

Onto 7/6/23

Dear Customer

Sorry to keep you waiting so long.

As 450W, a hot product, has been sold out, the fastest shipping time is before July 25. Could you wait a while?

Sorry to all the inconvenience for you.

BINGO. We have some truth. They lied. They never had them arriving and stuck in customs.
They never had them when fedex didn't pick them up from shipping.
They never had them when they were saying that the warehouse was closed.

They lied.

Now I like sungold products but I will not be buying from the sungold store in California.

When I do buy more sungold products it will be from amazon since amazon will keep them honest (whether they like it or not).

I had to wait a few weeks on mine but he price is so good it’s worth the wait sucks they lied but I know when I order that it will be about a month before I see them same issue with the batteries. But the price makes me put up with it no tax no shipping charge hard to beat,

I had to wait a few weeks on mine but he price is so good it’s worth the wait sucks they lied but I know when I order that it will be about a month before I see them same issue with the batteries. But the price makes me put up with it no tax no shipping charge hard to beat,
I don't mind long delivery times just don't like being lied to about it :)

I'll keep buying sungold products but I will order them thru the amazon site of theirs. My TP6048 came from them via the amazon store and everything went perfect on that one.

diy solar

diy solar
Back