diy solar

diy solar

Overkill Solar Problems Leave Me Stranded

moonlitsouls

A few months back i decided i was going to move out of my high priced NYC apartment and move into my truck camper full time, its been a wild ride and im in the process now of finalizing the transition, i just picked up my camper last week and now living in the vehicle as we finalize the last details of the move out of the APT.

In my planning for the RV, i decided i wanted to go with a DIY Lifepo4 battery and i started to prepare and purchase all the needed materials to assemble it in January with an planned move in date around March - April , the cells took the longest to arrive but they still came with plenty of time for me to get my battery in order. I purchased my Overkill Solar 4s 12v 120A BMS on amazon on January 8th and it arrived within a week or two

Prior to assembly i top balanced my battery with the help of many on this forum and i learned a lot

During assembly i wired the balance leads according to many videos ive been watching and the help of others on the forum and the voltage on the BMS app would not match the voltage taken at the leads or the cells. I walked down the harness of the BMS several times and verified the voltage of each cell

i repeat - i VERIFIED at the harness itself , that the voltage was correct at the harness and matched the cell itself

however after attaching the bluetooth module the app would show voltages that were way off. prior to learning i could in fact verify the voltages at the harness , i thought for a couple weeks that i was not crimping the balance leads correctly and purchased 4 different terminal connectors , eventually i got the perfect size only to realize the crimping was never the problem.

i reached out to overkill solar via email and sent photos , it took them days to reply, eventually they just told me they would ship me another bms , they created a new order within their system and marked it as paid , i got an email confirmation for that on March 20th , i was away for a few days and returned on the 28th fully expecting the BMS to be in the mailbox and it was not , at this point i started to worry because nobody told me to expect any delays and i desperately needed my battery in my RV , i emailed them immediately to ask why it had not arrived , and just now today after 3 full days of waiting , i was told it was never even shipped and it may take another 30 days to arrive.

this is the reply i got

"
We are STILL waiting for new inventory.
We have received about a third of the stock order, but the rest of it seems to be stuck in Hong Kong. 4s BMSs with 8ga wires are shipping now.

That said, this entire shipment has already been sold. More units are being produced, but the factory lead time is at least 30 days.

We are working nonstop to prepare and ship orders. A new order placed today will take at least 30 days to ship.

Steve
Overkill Solar."

nobody told me they were waiting on anything , its been 11 days and just now im being told there is a backlog, what confuses me even more is that he says he does have the 8guage units available , if so, why is that not being sent to me as a courtesy ? I should come as a priority before all new orders.

Now to make matters worse , i checked online and i cannot find any quality BMS that is not located in China and it may take another 20-30 days to wait for one off ebay or amazon. This entire situation is an absolute DISASTER and im truly sorry i made the huge mistake of buying this BMS from Overkill Solar, i did so at the recommendation of Will and the high praise on the forum, i realize things break and life is not perfect but i am not being prioritized and it does not seem like the company understands or even cares about the gravity of this situation. When you live in your vehicle and you rely on your battery for basic needs , this becomes a very serious situation.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to get a descent BMS quick so i can wire my 4s 280ah cells i would appreciate it

Attachments

• unnamed.png
    unnamed.png
    101.6 KB · Views: 82
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 82
Sounds like you are in a pickle. This guy can't ship until April 9, but he is in the USA. It is basicly the same unit.

Was just looking at your photo. Connect at least one of the -B wires on the BMS to the negative post of your battery. Your BMS will not work properly without the -B connected.....I know from experience.

Was just looking at your photo. Connect at least one of the -B wires on the BMS to the negative post of your battery. Your BMS will not work properly without the -B connected.....I know from experience.
I did , it did not change anything but i will try again , i emailed the guy you just sent me to see if he can help, im also talking to someone in China about DHL shipping

Those numbers you are getting are what you will get if the -B is not connected to ground.
i had it basically fully assembled and it wasn't reading properly ill add more photos. At first i thought the crimps were wrong because it showed a different range of voltage , one was 1.1 , another 2.4 ,another 3.8 and so on , ill try again

Did u check the BMS cable and check the voltage in the bms cable connector?

How are you charging your batt? what max voltage?

Good question, I do not see the B- of the BMS connected in the picture.
pls see the new photos i just added , i had the B- connected and the voltages were all different

Did u check the BMS cable and check the voltage in the bms cable connector?

How are you charging your batt? what max voltage?

yes i used a multimeter to test each wire within the harness itself and it matched the cells perfectly , then when i connected the blluetooth module the voltage was not correct on the app

with different terminal connectors , at this point everyone assumed the crimps were off , but later when we started testing the wiring harness of the balance leads we found the harness shows the correct voltage

Attachments

• F73BC8E6-B0E8-40BE-B486-7A5468EA5ACA.png
    F73BC8E6-B0E8-40BE-B486-7A5468EA5ACA.png
    278.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 436A2820-DB8E-4CBA-8994-DF5D3E2DA814.jpeg
    436A2820-DB8E-4CBA-8994-DF5D3E2DA814.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 65
Would touching the b- cable to the battery help to power up the bms? Saw Will say something about it in one of his videos

I am going to reassemble again and send photos of everything before i buy the new BMS just to make sure

BTW, did you at one point disconnect the BMS sensing from the battery pack while the B- wire is still connected? Some BMS states that you must remove the BMS sensing cable plug from the BMS first before disconencting the B- cable otherwise the BMS can be damaged.

I am chatting with a guy on FB that may have an extra. Let me know if you don't get this one working.

with different terminal connectors , at this point everyone assumed the crimps were off , but later when we started testing the wiring harness of the balance leads we found the harness shows the correct voltage
I am a little confused. The BMS is reporting a voltage of 4.263 on cell 3. That can't be correct, can it?

I think I saw that same symptom in other thread and it turns out to be bad crimping on the terminal of the balancing wire.

2.646​
cell 1
3.020​
cell 2
4.263​
cell 3
3.310​
cell 4
13.239​
Battery total
3.310​
average per cell

Connector, crimp or whatever, we've seen this before. Something is so poor a connection, the input bias current of a chip pulls the voltage. Or it's just an open-circuit capacitance, floating.
You're almost there.

The unit from LTT given in the above post should arrive quickly as they send air mail. Its the same as sold by Overkill but without the cable options that Overkill offer.
From,

You can pay with Paypal, shipping to the UK was 6 days.

Regarding the issues you are having, you may have already carried out the following but this is the method I used.
Withe the balance leads disconnected from the BMS connect to the cells taking care the white leads are in the correct order.
Connect the blue power cables to the battery negative, then connect the balance connector to the BMS.

If any work is carried out on the battery or leads to the BMS, the balance connector must be unplugged first.

If the sequence is not followed there is a possibility of damage to the BMS.

The voltage readings are way off for cells 1, too low, and 3, too high. Have you confirmed that these are the actual voltages with a meter?

If cell 3 actually has a voltage over 14 volts it may be damaged and needs discharging to a safe level.

Mike

Back