diy solar

diy solar

Planning my next ~35kWh expansion

42OhmsPA

What's in a title?
If all goes well I'll have 48 more 230Ah cells by Sunday afternoon... Thinking ahead to how I should best reconfigure and incorporate them into my system.

Here's what I have currently, each pack has it's own JBD, class T and Midnite 100A breaker.
IMG_20231031_203300__01.jpg

Here's what I'm thinking.
Pack 1 - 305Ah Envision cells, 16s ~15.5kWh.

Pack 2 - 230Ah CALB cells, 16s ~11.5kWh

Pack 3 - 230Ah CALB cells, 16s2p ~23.5kWh

Pack 4 - 230Ah EVE cells, 16s2p ~23.5kWh.

Each pack will have its own JBD, Class T and Midnite breaker.
Each pack will be top balanced.

I'm paralleling the 230ah cells because it will make wiring easier, my C rates are already low with my current setup and I think it makes sense.

I'm torn between building another wooden rack, enclosing it with hardiebacker and foam or welding up something out of a pile of U channel pallet racking. I'm very comfortable working with lumber, I'm pretty comfortable working with steel.

Pros and Cons please, I have thick skin; you can be blunt with your opinions.

I personally would try to limit the amount of metal around the cells ..... Wood works better for me.

Seems like all the new 48V pre built packs are using metal and doing fine, however.

Steel is my preference.

I don't see a problem with metal around batteries if it is designed well

Your wooden shelving looks very tidy though :)

Hmmm

Now I have to explore more pre built options.

Hmmm

Now I have to explore more pre built options.
I bought the Kobalt 48x48x24 for myself. Mounting a 3/4” plywood to the back, the top shelf will be 3’ high, underneath will house my 4 batteries and the inverter above the top

Comfortable with wood, so build in steel.
always good to expand on skills and develope confidence...while building stuff you need anyway.
just my 2-cents. you do you!

Note: my own racks are composite! wood with steel angle to support the packs. just because!

Comfortable with wood, so build in steel.
always good to expand on skills and develope confidence...while building stuff you need anyway.
just my 2-cents. you do you!

Note: my own racks are composite! wood with steel angle to support the packs. just because!
Agreed, the next tilting ground mount will definitely be steel.

Ha, I've been tossing around the composite idea myself. U channel for the main support and my go to Sam's Club cutting boards for the shelfs.

I try to keep an eye open for scrap - steel shapes, aluminum, stainless, sheet plate etc. Sometimes it is free for pick up if you're in the right place at the right time! {or cut a deal}

Got some steel from a demo site recently = this is how it went down:
Asked "hey bud, can I have the scrap steel if I load it"
reply: -"Hell No! we're are going to take that steel to the scrap yard for beer money!"
so I said, "Well what do you drink, I will bring a few cases if you let me take the scrap off your hands, and you won't even have to load it"
"DEAL, you bring three cases and we will Load the steel for you!"

ya just gotta listen sometimes.

Back