diy solar

diy solar

Please explain to me.

Ivel

OK, in this video Will says this system will power a house. Video Link

I'm pretty sure I'm following everything up until the end.

He has one 12 gauge extension cord for the A/C output. Now are we talking about running an extension cord all over the house to each device that you want to power, one at a time ?

Unless I miss understood him he said this system would produce 60 amps of power. That would require #4 THHN copper wire to carry that size load in which I would like to feed a transfer switch which would in turn feed my house panel.

Please tell me what I'm missing here. This seems to be something I'd like to do to my house if I can get those 60 amps to my existing panel.
It's not adding up for me, admittedly I know zero about solar power but I do know A/C power.

Please explain.

Thanks, Levi

He only uses the extension cord for the demonstration so he can attach 120V stuff to show it works. Depending on the model of All-In-One and it's output, the AC should be wired appropriately to a Breaker Panel feeding out the AC circuits.

He only uses the extension cord for the demonstration so he can attach 120V stuff to show it works. Depending on the model of All-In-One and it's output, the AC should be wired appropriately to a Breaker Panel feeding out the AC circuits.
The lugs didn't look big enough for #6 but I could be wrong.

Please don't thing I am arguing here, I'm trying to understand. I want to do this but only once. I don't want to buy something that I that won't do what I want it to do.

What happened to the 60 amps ? 21 amps will hardly power a house. And the output on the unit he has there is120 volts, ground, line and neutral.

Ok, I watched some of the video and you are correct about the ground, line and neutral.
Please link with a timestamp to where Will mentions 60 amps.
The product description says it includes a 60 amp ac charger, is that what you are talking about?

Also Will mentions the unit can power a small village.
The units are stackable.

Ok, I got you now. Thank you for clarifying that for me. So do you know if he has a system that will generate 50-60 amps ?

I am confused about the teapot thing.

Ok, I got you now. Thank you for clarifying that for me. So do you know if he has a system that will generate 50-60 amps ?

I am confused about the teapot thing.
The teacup thing is an expression that means much ado about nothing.
50-60 amps at what voltage?
240VAC@60hz?

Last edited:
The more i read the OP the more questions i have. There is one basic question that would steer me in wildly different directions:

Is your plan to be grid-tied, battery based or battery free?

The more i read the OP the more questions i have. There is one basic question that would steer me in wildly different directions:

Is your plan to be grid-tied, battery based or battery free?

Let's drop down to a 40 amp output a/c 120/240 volt output. The 8k thing's dang pricey. And realistically with out stove, oven and hvac. 40 amps should be fine. I've run the house on a 5k gas generator before.

Let's say Snake Plissken pushes that button again and all our electricity goes away. I would like to to have one of those MPPT things fed by batteries and charged by solar panels.

Or, i in event a hurricane or snow knocks the power out before Plissken mashes his button.

I would like to walk back to my panel, flip my transfer switch and have power so my milk don't spoil, stuff in my freezer stays frozen, keep my laptops and phones charged up to play games on, run my cpap, play my tv so I can watch dvds until I die or someone fixes the electricity.

I would like to know what and all I need, is it possible to do and if I'd be able to afford to build it.

I'm sure I asked the wrong questions but I did say in my OP, I know zero about solar power. I'm not trying to be a smart ass, my since of humor is a little off bubble???

Thanks for any and all help.

Back