diy solar

diy solar

Portable wind turbine system for occasional use (1-3 days of 45-60mph+ high winds)

tr3bjockey

I live in an area where if the winds kick up to over 40mph, the power company shuts off power to prevent fires. Last time this happened we were without power for 24 hours straight. I am not allowed to use a noisy generator. (which most of you would suggest I use instead of going to the trouble of building a wind power system) and I'm not allowed to have a wind turbine permanently attached to the property.

1. I'm planning to power a fridge. The most continuous power the fridge uses is 700 watts during the defrost cycle. There's probably a 1200 watt burst for less than a second to start the fridge conpressor, but after that it only uses up maybe 70-200 watts. (very efficient multi-speed compressor). I've clocked the energy usage of my fridge for 24 hours at less than 400 watt/hours.

2. I would also need to built a battery bank that can store at least 200 watt/hours but combined with an inverter that can temporarily feed 1500 watt bursts peaks and batteries that could also handle that.

3. As a backup, in case there's no wind and I can travel for 10 minutes to a relative's house that does have power, I would like to be able to charge my battery pack in 30 minutes minimum, 15 minutes optimally.

4. I need a wind generator matched with the batteries that over a 4-8 hours span of time will be able to keep my fridge running. I prefer not to use a dump load an maybe it's possible not to have to use a dump load if my batteries stay 50% charged. This wind generator would need to be able to handle gusts of 60mph, either by design that the spin rate for self destruction is below what a 60mph wind can produce. The other option is have a constant load that keep the wind generator from self destructing.

My original thought was that I could use an LTO battery bank. These banks are safe in case of overcharge or overload and I don't have to worry about fire or explosion. I would not need a dump load since these batteries can accept large C rates that normally would get sent to a dump load. These batteries are also able to withstand large current draws (for fridge compressor startup). I would need to keep the battery state at 80% or less and this would be easy to do by also plugging in a 160 watt fan to lower the state of charge if need be. Also being LTO, I should be able to drive somewhere where there is an electrical plug that I can charge the batteries at. Electricity here is 110-120 volts, 15AMP max.

Some thoughts about charging
I have a 12V 15amp power supply. If I could interface this with a charge/wind controller for On Grid charging, that would save me money in having to buy a charger. This would also mean that I would have to keep the battery series configuration below 12 volt for off grid charging? If it's 80-90% charge at 12 volt, I would be okay with this. I assume that a charge controller could push the voltage higher with it's internal step up transformer to top of the batteries at a lower charge rate due to voltage to amperage inefficiencies.

Some thoughts about parts.
Would a used high amperage alternator be cheaper than the generator made for windmills?

Are there plans or videos on how to build a wind generator that could withstand 60mph gusts? Could designs be modified to remove vanes, change vane angle to be less efficient and produce less rotation? Are there some types of designs that can withstand high winds vs. low wind constant use?

I also don't have much storage space in garage and would like to keep the wind generator modular so that it can be easily taken apart and rebuilt.

Thank you!

Full production from a wind turbine is like 25mph winds.
45 to 60 mph wind destroy turbines that would have to be shut down so you would get no output.
Forget about wind and install solar or use a quiet generator.

I live in an area where if the winds kick up to over 40mph, the power company shuts off power to prevent fires. Last time this happened we were without power for 24 hours straight. I am not allowed to use a noisy generator. (which most of you would suggest I use instead of going to the trouble of building a wind power system) and I'm not allowed to have a wind turbine permanently attached to the property.

1. I'm planning to power a fridge. The most continuous power the fridge uses is 700 watts during the defrost cycle. There's probably a 1200 watt burst for less than a second to start the fridge conpressor, but after that it only uses up maybe 70-200 watts. (very efficient multi-speed compressor). I've clocked the energy usage of my fridge for 24 hours at less than 400 watt/hours.

2. I would also need to built a battery bank that can store at least 200 watt/hours but combined with an inverter that can temporarily feed 1500 watt bursts peaks and batteries that could also handle that.

3. As a backup, in case there's no wind and I can travel for 10 minutes to a relative's house that does have power, I would like to be able to charge my battery pack in 30 minutes minimum, 15 minutes optimally.

4. I need a wind generator matched with the batteries that over a 4-8 hours span of time will be able to keep my fridge running. I prefer not to use a dump load an maybe it's possible not to have to use a dump load if my batteries stay 50% charged. This wind generator would need to be able to handle gusts of 60mph, either by design that the spin rate for self destruction is below what a 60mph wind can produce. The other option is have a constant load that keep the wind generator from self destructing.

My original thought was that I could use an LTO battery bank. These banks are safe in case of overcharge or overload and I don't have to worry about fire or explosion. I would not need a dump load since these batteries can accept large C rates that normally would get sent to a dump load. These batteries are also able to withstand large current draws (for fridge compressor startup). I would need to keep the battery state at 80% or less and this would be easy to do by also plugging in a 160 watt fan to lower the state of charge if need be. Also being LTO, I should be able to drive somewhere where there is an electrical plug that I can charge the batteries at. Electricity here is 110-120 volts, 15AMP max.

I have a 12V 15amp power supply. If I could interface this with a charge/wind controller for On Grid charging, that would save me money in having to buy a charger. This would also mean that I would have to keep the battery series configuration below 12 volt for off grid charging? If it's 80-90% charge at 12 volt, I would be okay with this. I assume that a charge controller could push the voltage higher with it's internal step up transformer to top of the batteries at a lower charge rate due to voltage to amperage inefficiencies.

Would a used high amperage alternator be cheaper than the generator made for windmills?

Are there plans or videos on how to build a wind generator that could withstand 60mph gusts? Could designs be modified to remove vanes, change vane angle to be less efficient and produce less rotation? Are there some types of designs that can withstand high winds vs. low wind constant use?

I also don't have much storage space in garage and would like to keep the wind generator modular so that it can be easily taken apart and rebuilt.

Thank you!
You put a lot of thought into your post on using a wind turbine.
But I think you would regret it if you did it.
Hope that your absence is not due to you being blown away in recent storms. :)

Thank you!
Damn, you typed out a book then disappeared. :)

Full production from a wind turbine is like 25mph winds.
45 to 60 mph wind destroy turbines that would have to be shut down so you would get no output.
Forget about wind and install solar or use a quiet generator.
Sorry, can't use solar, too many hoops to fly through with HOA. I know they're not suppose to make solar installation hard but the HOA attorney wrote the requirements and maintenance agreement to benefit them.

If we cannot have blow up halloween or christmas decoration (the kind that has a constant fan keeping the item inflated like a jumper), we can't have a generator either due to noise. Hence the need for wind generator that will be quieter. (hopefully)

Last edited:
You put a lot of thought into your post on using a wind turbine.
But I think you would regret it if you did it.
Hope that your absence is not due to you being blown away in recent storms. :)
Yes and no. We did lose power for 3 hours. Lucky for us, it was not 110 degrees when it happened.

If we cannot have blow up halloween or christmas decoration (the kind that has a constant fan keeping the item inflated like a jumper), we can't have a generator either due to noise. Hence the need for wind generator that will be quieter. (hopefully)
Wind turbines are not quiet.
Your hoa would not approve
But the whole idea of wind turbines in 40mph + winds is a really bad idea even more so than wind power in general.

Gusts are the worst.

I suggest you replicate Ben Franklin's experiment with the kite, see if you can harvest electricity from lightning.
Or, there have been concepts of wind turbines held aloft by balloons. No tower that way.

Get something like DC to DC charge controller suitably sized for your vehicle alternator, and charge an AGM battery while you drive. You can then carry it into the house to use an inverter to power the fridge. About 100 Ah at 12V is reasonable weight. Turn off defrost cycle, also icemaker if present.

Personally Id forget about the windmill. Its a neat idea but a huge PITA.

I think this is your best bet if you are worried about charge time. But, I would use a larger LIFEPO4. Store it at 50% and if the power goes out you can start drawing power. If your power does not come on for an extended period, you can load it up and head to the relatives to charge it up. Alternatively, just use lead acid and keep it charged all the time. If you run out of battery your screwed though.

You are not limited to 15amp max. You are only limited to 15 amps max per circuit you plug into. You can have multiple chargers running off multiple circuits at your relatives house. The more you circuits you can plug into the faster you charge.

Wouldn't put this up on a tower. Would bring it up to my patio which gets hit by gusts of wind.
How high off the ground to the bottom of your blades?
Your HOA is gonna love a noisy wind turbine in your patio with over speeding blades from 60 mph gusts.
Make a great Halloween display dicing up the trick and treaters! Haha

Wouldn't put this up on a tower. Would bring it up to my patio which gets hit by gusts of wind.
Got the perfect portable wind turbine for you.
KiteX from Denmark
200 watts for $1086
600 watts for $1331
But you may not get it until Dec 2021 or ever.

Last edited:
I'd just build a large battery bank and essentially use it as a UPS for your whole house. Or move, HOAs are satans spawn. Anyone who wants to prevent you from using clean solar energy needs to not be setting rules.

Sorry, can't use solar, too many hoops to fly through with HOA. I know they're not suppose to make solar installation hard but the HOA attorney wrote the requirements and maintenance agreement to benefit them.
Many states have solar access laws. If the HOA’s restrictions are unreasonable, take them to court.

Wind turbines generate noise and are a liability issue such as a mechanical failure when a turbine blade comes loose and sent flying through the air...

Last edited:
Your mind won't rest until you do it.

My $150AUD 400w ebay turbine recently survived 75mph winds. I wasn't home at the time but my wife said it was making lots of noise :)

I think you should use grid power or solar power when available to charge your backup battery bank, adding a wind turbine is definitely a bit of fun but not always reliable.

we can't have a generator either due to noise.

Have a garage? Inverter generators can be very quiet. Run the exhaust outside the garage and nobody will hear it.
I would also question the legality of not allowing a generator in an emergency. HOA or not. Even if they caught you, what is the fine?

Have a garage? Inverter generators can be very quiet. Run the exhaust outside the garage and nobody will hear it.

Even with pipe to carry exhaust out, danger from a malfunction is severe. People have died from carbon monoxide which blew into a house from a generator outside, not in the building.

Do not run a generator inside a garage.

People have died from carbon monoxide which blew into a house from a generator outside, not in the building.

Buy a generator with a CO monitor and have a monitor in your house too, if you are that paranoid.

Or build a "hush" box for outside. Point is, one can get around the "rules" if they really want to. A generator does not have to be noisy. And with a little common sense, are not inherently dangerous.

Back