diy solar

diy solar

Problem running a washing machine on solar?

Glenn Eades

48th lat. 80 long. ( north eastern ont Canada)
I have a GE washer with a ten year warranty. GE says I have dirty power? I need a power cleaner. Can you advise me what to get? It works fine with my Yamaha 2000w. Inverter generator. They said the machine will only run on a pure 60 hertz of power. I have a 48 volt system. 3200 watts of panels with 2 - Bigbattery 48 volt Polar Bear Elite 10 kwh batteries. With a Magna Sine MMPT175-30D and Magnum power track Mppt charge controller

Have you actually tried to run it with your current system? Manufacturers often say equipment needs pure sine wave power, which your little generator likely produces, but in reality many things run on power that's not a pure sine wave. And yes, doing so may well void your warranty, but life's all about managing risk. If you do need that, then just look for an inverter that guarantees a pure sine wave. Google and manufacturer sites are your friend there.

Have you actually tried to run it with your current system? Manufacturers often say equipment needs pure sine wave power, which your little generator likely produces, but in reality many things run on power that's not a pure sine wave. And yes, doing so may well void your warranty, but life's all about managing risk. If you do need that, then just look for an inverter that guarantees a pure sine wave. Google and manufacturer sites are your friend there.
Thanks. Yes we have tried it many times. It's on a dedicated breaker. Tried different power bars that have been recommended by friends etc. Nothing has worked?

What inverter? "Magna Sine MMPT175-30D" seems to be a breaker panel.

What doesn't work? Do electronics work, but motor won't start?
Starting a motor takes an inverter 5x larger than rated operating current of motor.

Washers and electric stove tops...if ya can get past the "start up surge",then ya got that load eating up your batt.

Thanks. Yes we have tried it many times. It's on a dedicated breaker. Tried different power bars that have been recommended by friends etc. Nothing has worked?

What do you mean by "power bar"? What is that and why are you using it? Are you also using an extension cord? Can you try to plug the machine directly into your 120V AC outlet and not via a power bar? It may be that your wiring via power bar or extension cord is causing voltage losses.

Are you also running other appliances / loads at the same time? If so, perhaps try the washing machine as the ONLY load on your system? Once it starts, you can likely then use a few other appliances that are not of high watts / current.

What do you see on your inverter display when the machine is turned on for Watts and Amps before, during at on shut down?

What does the rear label of your washing machine show? Perhaps take a picture of it and post it here. It will show all the power requirements.

You should also be able to see on your inverter display how clean the power is, as it will show the AC Current in Hz and a Power Factor (PF) by pressing something like a menu button to get to that display. You will have to read your inverter manual to find out how to view the different display information.

I am presently running my Samsung front load clothes washer on solar (mostly battery at the moment since the sun is not fully up and out) via my 3kW AIO. It has worked off it several months now without a hitch and it is one of these ones with electronic variable speed drive.

If yours is not working you need to give some more information as to the inverter used and ratings. Also how are you wired for neutral and ground?

What inverter do you have? I have run MagnaSine inverters for years and have yet to find any device that has a problem with it. What exactly is the problem?

Many of the new washing machines continuously stop and reverse their motors to provide the agitation. They are continuously pulsing motor startup surge currents that drives battery powered inverters crazy.

Is this electronic drive? I run my LG on a MSW inverter and at undervoltage too. Think they just gave you a go away line. What actual problem are you having?

What inverter do you have? I have run MagnaSine inverters for years and have yet to find any device that has a problem with it. What exactly is the problem?
Ok thanks. Will check inverter manual. Just washer and no extention cords or power bars. When the Tech came he said he had the same problem. And returned the machine and bought a cheaper one with just 3 year warranty and it works fine. We are all off grid where we live in north east ontario. It's been a problem for others also. Trying to figure a way to use it here. Or just get another like our previous one?

Ive never experienced any issues trying to run mine. I’ve run my older washing machine on my 12v Giandel 2200 inverter. Was actually my first “big” load to test on the system. Worked awesome! My wife was so happy…I finally volunteered to do the wash just so I could run it off Solar…

Had it also run fine on the EG4 6500 and Victron 5kVA.

It may exist, but I'm not aware of a "power cleaner" that would work, as you seem to need true sine wave power and apparently your inverter doesn't produce that. I suppose a big battery bank such as an Ecoflow might do it, but that's basically just a different power source with a sine wave inverter. Buying a different washer (or inverter) might be the answer. Low frequency inverters (e.g., Victron) handle motor starts better than high frequency inverters, but they're pricey and heavy.

I have a GE washer with a ten year warranty. GE says I have dirty power? I need a power cleaner. Can you advise me what to get? It works fine with my Yamaha 2000w. Inverter generator. They said the machine will only run on a pure 60 hertz of power. I have a 48 volt system. 3200 watts of panels with 2 - Bigbattery 48 volt Polar Bear Elite 10 kwh batteries. With a Magna Sine MMPT175-30D and Magnum power track Mppt charge controller
What inverter do you have connected to the MMPT175?

Magna sine magnum. Runs everything else just fine?
Do you have a link to where you purchased this from? Or do you have a model number?

You seem to provide such minimal information it’ll be difficult to assist.

If the washer runs off generator, sounds like you should just run it off your generator and call it good.

Just a couple of days ago, I wanted to test this same scenario. I have a 20 y/o Kenmore (digital controls), and a power check said it never exceeded 520w under max load. Connected it to my portable system which uses an AMES 1000w pure sine inverter connected to a Sun Fun Kit 300Ah 12v battery, didn't connect to a solar panel.

I expected to hear the inverter complain, but surprisingly, neither the inverter or washer complained once. Ran a 'normal' load of bedsheets for over an hour. Started with 99% battery life, 288Ah / 96% remaining at completion. Inverter never even got warm.

If your inverter is truly pure sign wave, then I'd venture a guess that the washer is just overly sensitive. There are 'power line conditioners' available, but the cost would be stupid just to run a washer. Another thought would be to use an UPS as a conditioner, but again, kinda dumb setup.

Back