diy solar

diy solar

Progressive Dynamics Lithium battery Chargers.... or are they just Power Supplies?

OK, here you're saying cut off @13.88V and (3.47V/cell) and that is 96% SOC.
The bottom limit is 10% SOC. What is that in total V and Cell V?
Is there a formula that is easy to use to determine the % of SOC?
I think I remember you posted that when building a new battery pack, you charge the Cells in Parallel to 3.65V.
Is that what you do or just a general recommendation?

I sort of got out-voted on how to properly TOP Balance batteries ... but both ways are actually right -- I TOP balance in steps just to see if i am going to have any issues with any of the cells being out of whack before I waste time ... Will and others will just go ahead and TOP balance by putting the batteries in parallel and dropping 3.65 (or thereabouts) and as many amps as they can push .. either way is fine ...you get the same results .. I just would rather know right away if I had a bad cell instead of spending 12 hours charging and finding out then ...

BUT YES -- the first time I TOP Balance I push the cells to their limit -- then after that I set the max to be about 88% (85-90%) of the 100% Charge amount and set my lower to 10% .... I just am not one of those ppl that want to purchase a LiFEPO4 and then leave 40% of it unused as some of these guys that will go 80% to 20% ...

Looking forward to someone answering Sgt Raven questions from yesterday. I want to understand how to charge a 48v - 600 Ah BB. I LIKE ghostwriter66’s take on this; use the cells capacity. I have seen some charts that show DOD v Voltage; is there some general agreement on what this looks like?

Tossing a wrench in here... WISH it would have been available I would have ordered this one/
100A 3V to 15V Charger Current Voltage Adjustable
US $133.56 REG: US $159.00

I stand corrected -- just got off the Chat and the 100A 3V to 15V is 120/240 not just 220 ...

Ghostwriter66 - at your work, is there a voltage you use to correspond to 10% DOD ?

Dennis Wieske (Progressive Dynamics) discussed with Mike Sokol (RV Electric) use of Progressive Dynamics Converters to charge LiFePO4 batteries.
-This discussion reveals a change in the Progressive Dynamics PD91**ALV converter design currently in progress to change the converter from a one stage charger to a two stage charger (see youtube video starting at 37.3 minutes thru 39.2 minutes and on to 40.3 minutes for more info).
-Battle Born has stated that the PD converters made for use/charging with LiFePO4 batteries at 14.6 v (one stage) are acceptable for use with the B/B battery.
-I am glad to see the change to a two stage LiFePO4 PD**ALV converter. Apparently they will be available soon, if not already available. These 2-stage chargers will replace the one stage charger with no change in product part number. I never did like the single stage fixed 14.6 v converter for charging LFePO4 batteries because it holds the battery at 14.6 v as long as the converter is turned on (plugged in or 120v circuit breaker turned on).

Dennis Wieske (Progressive Dynamics) discussed with Mike Sokol (RV Electric) use of Progressive Dynamics Converters to charge LiFePO4 batteries.
-This discussion reveals a change in the Progressive Dynamics PD91**ALV converter design currently in progress to change the converter from a one stage charger to a two stage charger (see youtube video starting at 37.3 minutes thru 39.2 minutes and on to 40.3 minutes for more info).
-Battle Born has stated that the PD converters made for use/charging with LiFePO4 batteries at 14.6 v (one stage) are acceptable for use with the B/B battery.
-I am glad to see the change to a two stage LiFePO4 PD**ALV converter. Apparently they will be available soon, if not already available. These 2-stage chargers will replace the one stage charger with no change in product part number. I never did like the single stage fixed 14.6 v converter for charging LFePO4 batteries because it holds the battery at 14.6 v as long as the converter is turned on (plugged in or 120v circuit breaker turned on).

It's about time!!!! Look at the date this thread started......March of last year. I was complaining to them back then that it was a bad design!

By reviewing the PD web site, I was not able to see any change in the PD power supply (converter) used to charge LiFePO4 batteries. In fact the site appears to be identical to the one I previewed more than a year ago when I purchased the PD converter as recommended by BB when I bought my first BB battery. Can anyone find any info on the 'new' PD91##ALV converters ?

I got a PD9145ALV from Amazon yesterday to play with. It's definitely just a power supply.

Can anyone find any info on the 'new' PD91##ALV converters ?

I looked, but cannot. I wish to replace the unit in my Casita travel trailer with a PD 9100L series located here so I can convert to LifePo4...

The Owner's Manual on their website says on page 4...

progressive.jpg

This is the most up-to-date information I can find on their website, and does not inspire confidence.

I looked, but cannot. I wish to replace the unit in my Casita travel trailer with a PD 9100L series located here so I can convert to LifePo4...

The Owner's Manual on their website says on page 4...

View attachment 57546

This is the most up-to-date information I can find on their website, and does not inspire confidence.

BTW: The copy you've shared here is for the 9200 model. Not the 9100's we're talking about. Easy to do with their crap manual

You shared from the 9200 section.
Ah. I see what you mean. Thanks.

I wish they offered a separate Owner's Manual for each model, including a charging profile for each.

It's the current year after all, and Word documents are easy to create these days. :)

progressive.jpg

Back