diy solar

diy solar

Putting Lipstick on a Pig - Fixing the camp! (Photo heavy)

What kind of winter temps you expecting?
Snow?
Did ya get some steaks out of the roadkill?
Well, once winter properly hits there's going to be snow on the ground and it'll probably stay right at or below freezing for the next few months straight. So many of my projects up here have become complex because of the months on end of sub-freezing temps.

20210211_080034.jpg

As an example, here's a shot of the thermometer the one (and only) time I got my eldest nephew up here. We spent a week cutting and installing foam board under the living room half of the cabin, so lots of dust and Styrofoam! Yes, we had to bring the beer inside to keep warm.

@timselectric

Here's screen shots of the application and its settings. Hopefully there's something in there that grabs your attention. Do you know of a way to get all the settings by setting number other than buttonbutton write buttonbuttonbutton write buttonbuttonbuttonbutton write?

View attachment 172828 View attachment 172829
yo Red :) ive got a Growatt SPH3600 and a DIY batterypack with Seplos BMS. I can get the Growatt to charge more than 0,7A, not a lot :) So i need to get in contact with the growatt for checking up the parameters and would like to use PVkeeper, got it downloaded but how do i connect ? is it USB growatt - USB PC ( windows ) ? or is it RS232 ?? what com port ? baudrate ? best regards martin

Well, when you don't have time to "go hunting" there is always the roadside option :ROFLMAO:
I actually used to hunt deer like that in the old days. I had a 1980 suburban "state model" that I picked up back then pretty cheap. They were designed for the state usage aka Alabama DOT or something owned it before me. Whats special about them is the bumper isn't the chrome bumper the family vehicles got. These were pained white to match the truck and were VERY thick.

How this comes into play is one night when I was driving home I hit a deer with it and it went under the vehicle and I of course slammed on the brakes. This was my first kill with it. I got out and found no damage at all. The deer... well no so much. Since it was under a wheel when I slammed on the brakes it kind of smear deer down the road. Nothing to salvage. But I was impressed with the way the truck came thru.

Next time I spotted a deer I didn't hit the brakes :) Good kill. Good meat.

I bagged probably about 12 or so deer with the thing over time. Never hurt it and with the huge cargo area in the back taking the kill to the meat market was a breeze. I had a mechanical come along I kept in the back that would hook to the top lock post for the door allowing me to lift the deer easily. It had the double doors on the back and not the tailgate like the family models had.

Rust finally claimed that truck. I miss it. The engine is in a trans am I have with over 700,000 miles on the engine now :)

yo Red :) ive got a Growatt SPH3600 and a DIY batterypack with Seplos BMS. I can get the Growatt to charge more than 0,7A, not a lot :) So i need to get in contact with the growatt for checking up the parameters and would like to use PVkeeper, got it downloaded but how do i connect ? is it USB growatt - USB PC ( windows ) ? or is it RS232 ?? what com port ? baudrate ? best regards martin
My growatt came with a USB cable, but I had to download the COM driver for it. Once I grabbed that everything talked just fine. It's the CP210X windows driver and I had to install it with the USB cable plugged in and go through Device Manager.

In other news...

20231021_170826.jpg

I have a box!!! We ran out of steam before we got rafters but I can get those in on my own and we'll reschedule the roofing once that's all ready.

Range day and Beef Guiness Stew for dinner... so full...

Last edited:
My growatt came with a USB cable, but I had to download the COM driver for it. Once I grabbed that everything talked just fine. It's the CP210X windows driver and I had to install it with the USB cable plugged in and go through Device Manager.

In other news...

View attachment 173487

I have a box!!! We ran out of steam before we got rafters but I can get those in on my own and we'll reschedule the roofing once that's all ready.

Range day and Beef Guiness Stew for dinner... so full...
thanks my man,, and for sure the menu sounds good :) what type of USB do you have on the inverter and what type on your PC ?

Attachments

• usb types.png
    usb types.png
    284.8 KB · Views: 5
thanks my man,, and for sure the menu sounds good :) what type of USB do you have on the inverter and what type on your PC ?
It looks like a regular A-B printer cable. The Growatt has the female B end in the bottom next to all the RJ45 ports and such.

In other news, both my heater cores were coked up last night so it was a bit chilly. Raining right now and says rain all week with possible snow. I better get this wrapped up quick. Nothing like doing framing and insulation and wiring and plumbing in the rain. ?

It looks like a regular A-B printer cable. The Growatt has the female B end in the bottom next to all the RJ45 ports and such.

In other news, both my heater cores were coked up last night so it was a bit chilly. Raining right now and says rain all week with possible snow. I better get this wrapped up quick. Nothing like doing framing and insulation and wiring and plumbing in the rain. ?
Send that rain south about a 100 miles are wheat needs it dry as hell here

Cold snap coming in later this week. Down to 29 in the Seattle area and colder over that way.

What do you think about retiring in that area VS Seattle?

I.E. North Idaho.

Strictly in terms of weather. I've never lived in a continental climate so I don't know whether I would like it or not.

What do you think about retiring in that area VS Seattle?

I.E. North Idaho.

Strictly in terms of weather. I've never lived in a continental climate so I don't know whether I would like it or not.
If retirement was an actual thing I would love to get 20ish acres and a cabin out here. Unfortunately divorce resets my retirement, so another 30 years of sailing ahead!

So camp update, today has been busy and productive...

shed1.jpg shed2.jpg

Got the rafters up and secured, got both gable ends together and installed. I copied the truss pieces to make the front extension so the roof length gets to 12ft where plywood and metal roofing both line up.

Cut and stuffed all the foam panels in place. We were real careful in the measurements and guides so of course every panel was a different size and some were crooked. Fought the 2-inches-too-short sawzall blade to get the window hole open and roof sealing goop under the window flange. That should keep the rain out..

Fortunately the weather was cold enough to keep the skeeters and gnats down, but I did have a couple wasps checking out the new real estate... sigh...

Last edited:
Rafters but no ceiling joists?
Snow load would want to bow top of walls out?
A tie rod or two would reinforce against that.

You could also use it to chin-ups. Even Giants (if you're a midget.)

Yeah, just coming to post about that...

shed5.jpg

Made some cross braces and threw them in. I'll probably throw some joists up later once the sheathing is on and there isn't any wiggle in the distances between the rafters.

shed6.jpg

I also decided to make a porch out front. I need 2 steps below it and since every time I sketch out the stringers I come up with different numbers (see many earlier posts about math and I) I just added pre-cut stringers and PT 2x12's to the shopping list for tomorrow's trek south.

Yes, I know, I shoulda used Pt for the porch frame but those were here and PT is 58 miles south.

Starting to run out of things I can do alone today with what I have on hand, maybe it's nap time. :unsure:

Definitely shower time! Good thing I'm up here alone. :sick:

Last edited:
Excellent progress!
I hope you have a hammock and under-quilt hanging somewhere between those trees... That actually might be a bad idea, you won't be getting much work done.

This thread reminds me how much I need to get back into the woods... Low 20s in the morning on of the most memorable outings. (crappy photos from video screenshots for the heck of it).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231023-173934.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023-173934.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20231023-174102.jpg
    Screenshot_20231023-174102.jpg
    485.1 KB · Views: 11
Excellent progress!
I hope you have a hammock and under-quilt hanging somewhere between those trees... That actually might be a bad idea, you won't be getting much work done.

This thread reminds me how much I need to get back into the woods... Low 20s in the morning on of the most memorable outings. (crappy photos from video screenshots for the heck of it).
Only way to sleep outside, camping Hammock setup, tarp, under quilt, top quilt. Cozy Hanging Burrito.

Only way to sleep outside, camping Hammock setup, tarp, under quilt, top quilt. Cozy Hanging Burrito.
Exactly, I'll never be a ground dweller outside again! One of my favorite parts (when cold camping) is putting a warm water bottle inside the burrito about 30 minutes before your ready to hang for the night...

Back