diy solar

diy solar

Questions for people using the Victron Smart Shunt

Is the ‘Battery SOC of reset’ option supposed to be set to keep SOC? I thought reset meant when it hit all the parameters this is the option that tells the shunt what to do. I have mine on reset to 100% so every day when the parameters are met it resets to 100%. Or is reset supposed to mean power is lost or battery disconnected and reconnected?

Is the ‘Battery SOC of reset’ option supposed to be set to keep SOC? I thought reset meant when it hit all the parameters this is the option that tells the shunt what to do. I have mine on reset to 100% so every day when the parameters are met it resets to 100%. Or is reset supposed to mean power is lost or battery disconnected and reconnected?
Battery SOC on reset controls what you want the shunt to do when it loses power.
  • "Keep SOC" means it's gonna remember where it was before it lost power.
  • "Clear" means it will blank the value out and you have to manually set it.
  • "Set to 100%" means any time power is lost to the shunt and it comes back on, your shunt will read 100% SOC.

It used to do it automatically before the last update and I havent changed any of the settings since setting it up.

No Victron shunt "automatically" syncs to 100% out-of-the-box. It must be programmed to the proper parameters. If any of your charge parameters have changed, you must evaluate the shunt settings to confirm they are still appropriate.

Standard settings:

For solar, 0.2V below absorption voltage.
Tail current 6% for LFP, 4% for lead-acid.

For AC charging (reliable and constant current), 0.2V below float
Tail current 6%, 4% for lead-acid.

Battery SOC on reset controls what you want the shunt to do when it loses power.
  • "Keep SOC" means it's gonna remember where it was before it lost power.
  • "Clear" means it will blank the value out and you have to manually set it.
  • "Set to 100%" means any time power is lost to the shunt and it comes back on, your shunt will read 100% SOC.

The KEEP SOC option is relatively new and only works on the smartshunt and BMV-712. Before, the default behavior was "set to 100%," and that's the last thing you want. My BMV-702 is set to "clear," so I at least know the shunt has lost power. The alternative is thinking my battery is at 100% when it may be at a very low SoC.

Last edited:
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Hopefully a quality product and will last a while.
4. Not much really. No direct display is not an issue for us. I use a older Android phone permanently mounted as the display.

I have a Victron 500A SmartShunt and a 400A Junctek KH140F battery monitor in series with our 600Ah LFP battery.
Both readings agree to within 0.01V, 1% current and typically 1% SOC.
Despite being a Victron fan with a few products running here in our setup I end up monitoring the battery information on the crystal clear, colourful and very informative Junctek display about 95% of the time.

Attachments

• 20230520 NY.jpg
    20230520 NY.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 13
I will toss in my hat to confirm the BT signal of the smart shunt is kind of sad.

Both the shunt and my Victron SCC are within 1 ft, and the Shunt usable range is about half the SCC even when the “signal” of both are the same.

It tries to connect to the shunt gets to 20% then hangs and gives up.

I decided to order the Smart Shunt.
For the cabin, blue tooth range is not a problem.
Eventually, I will probably use it with SA, so it should work fine for that.

That was my mind set as well. I have the shunt and SCC set up as a VE.Smart network.

The shunt info does displays on the main screen on Victron app, it only seems to lock up if you click on the shunt itself. So at a glance you can see the SOC and current flow.

I have the BMV-712 on one project and was considering the Smart Shunt for new project. Does anyone know what the actual current draw is with the 712 vs the Smart Shunt? On the 712, I leave BT on the theory it reduces the parasitic load. Not sure how that compares to the Smart Shunt.

Victron rates the Smart Shunt and the 712 (with the backlight off) current draw at less than 1mA.

Back