diy solar

diy solar

Rack Mount or Wall Mount

ruralsolar

Going through the debate of what battery style to get, timeframe is "summer". I have kwh to kwh net metering, the desire for the battery is to provide short-term power backup in the event of grid down situation versus banking power for use later. I can make the floor space for a rack mount setup which has the advantage of starting small and adding more as time goes on if needed (not guaranteed I will expand). However I have a decent wall space for something like the EG4 PowerPro, more money to start but I keep more of my floor space in the utility room. Pros and cons to both, curious what the community thinks. I'm not dead set on either form factor or vendor, open to looking at other options and vendors (aside from DIY bank).

One thing to check is if the AHJ has any requirements. Mine preferred exterior enclosure and limited kWhs to 20.. Later after inspection I will add another three modules inside. The interior enclosures are less expensive.

One thing to check is if the AHJ has any requirements. Mine preferred exterior enclosure and limited kWhs to 20.. Later after inspection I will add another three modules inside. The interior enclosures are less expensive.
I'm in a rural township that is very "hands off", code guy didn't even care to see my inside work haha

Going through the debate of what battery style to get, timeframe is "summer". I have kwh to kwh net metering, the desire for the battery is to provide short-term power backup in the event of grid down situation versus banking power for use later. I can make the floor space for a rack mount setup which has the advantage of starting small and adding more as time goes on if needed (not guaranteed I will expand). However I have a decent wall space for something like the EG4 PowerPro, more money to start but I keep more of my floor space in the utility room. Pros and cons to both, curious what the community thinks. I'm not dead set on either form factor or vendor, open to looking at other options and vendors (aside from DIY bank).
I prefer like this. So much I'm building another.

Battery bank finished2.jpg

Looks nice! I have to many other "hobbies" that building my own isn't happening 😞
Doesn't actually take that long if one is using something like a JK BMS,the Batrium takes a little more time. I prefer compression, other might just put some shelves in and have cells loose. The next box is deeper at 20 inches compared to the 12 inches of that one. It killed more time getting everything to fit in the 12 inch deep box. The other thing was just waiting on parts to arrive such as copper flat stock for busbars, special battery cable crimps, even the smaller busbars from the Class T fuses to the large busbar kill time.

The next build will take much less time as I have a pattern to go by and more room.

Doesn't actually take that long if one is using something like a JK BMS,the Batrium takes a little more time. I prefer compression, other might just put some shelves in and have cells loose. The next box is deeper at 20 inches compared to the 12 inches of that one. It killed more time getting everything to fit in the 12 inch deep box. The other thing was just waiting on parts to arrive such as copper flat stock for busbars, special battery cable crimps, even the smaller busbars from the Class T fuses to the large busbar kill time.

The next build will take much less time as I have a pattern to go by and more room.
What brand and size of electrical enclosure?

Got any favorite YT University pages you like? I'll browse the forums too

What brand and size of electrical enclosure?
I use Hoffman electrical enclosures. if you look at my signature you will see this link https://diysolarforum.com/threads/the-big-blue-box.55099/ Latest enclosure was $250, it is the same size height and width but 20 inches deep compared to 12 inches deep. Search FB Marketplace and Craigslist. I see these commonly in the $500 to $1000 range, I would not pay that.

The 12 inch worked well in my basement as it didn't take up much room from the wall allowing me to install in a corner. The next build is waiting on cells to arrive before I begin work, I'll probably do a video showing highlights of how to build one later this year.

Surprisingly no one mentioned that these Battery Packs can weigh a LOT and when mounting to a "wall" you need something really serious to be able to hold them up there... Nor is there any mention of "backing" because I hate to say it, Drywall will not cut it. Depending on your region, the inspectors etc, most will want to see either concrete wall, Fireboard or Magnesium Oxide sheets (similar to cement board but cheaper & better - hard to get).

Racks & Shelves can solve those issues obviously. There are also a few Gotcha's lurking there too... OP is in Upsate NY so a region that knows Cold ! When placing packs on a rack/shelf be aware that Temps are always lower at Ground Level and that even 1 degree Celsius difference can affect the charge/discharge rates of battery packs... YES, even 1 flippin celsius ! This is rarely a problem between 20C/68F to 30C/86F but outside of that temp zone this WILL be affected. The packs closest to ground level will always be cooler and as such will be a bit slower to charge & discharge.

We have people here chasing after WHY their (identical) battery packs charge/discharge at different rates and even when they see the BATT Temps being reported they NEVER Equate it... Point it out to them and then get dumped on for it... Yet, being in the North & offgrid I have run several tests including hard & abusive Thrash tests to force system issues to know the edges (part of being Ex Mil and needing to know extreme cases) and this has been proven several times. As I have a separate Powerhouse that is independently heated I have total control over the environment in there and capable of doing tests that would not be normally possible inside a residence. (Well unless you really want to be uncomfortable).

Here is the Hard Truth about Lithium Based batteries.
They are ALL Affected by temps ! Even as little as 1 degree celsius.
They are ALL Millivolt & Milliamp sensitive. NOT Brute force like Lead Acid.

After a few years with a few different configurations, all of which were tested harshly, I came to realize for optimal performance of all packs concurrently, I built a shelf @ 36" height from floor (optimal location) and all packs are same temp. BTW: 6 packs - 45kWh.

I use Hoffman electrical enclosures. if you look at my signature you will see this link https://diysolarforum.com/threads/the-big-blue-box.55099/ Latest enclosure was $250, it is the same size height and width but 20 inches deep compared to 12 inches deep. Search FB Marketplace and Craigslist. I see these commonly in the $500 to $1000 range, I would not pay that.

The 12 inch worked well in my basement as it didn't take up much room from the wall allowing me to install in a corner. The next build is waiting on cells to arrive before I begin work, I'll probably do a video showing highlights of how to build one later this year.
Thanks, I am a licensed low voltage contractor and buy wholesale from the electrical suppliers.

Surprisingly no one mentioned that these Battery Packs can weigh a LOT and when mounting to a "wall" you need something really serious to be able to hold them up there... Nor is there any mention of "backing" because I hate to say it, Drywall will not cut it. Depending on your region, the inspectors etc, most will want to see either concrete wall, Fireboard or Magnesium Oxide sheets (similar to cement board but cheaper & better - hard to get).

Racks & Shelves can solve those issues obviously. There are also a few Gotcha's lurking there too... OP is in Upsate NY so a region that knows Cold ! When placing packs on a rack/shelf be aware that Temps are always lower at Ground Level and that even 1 degree Celsius difference can affect the charge/discharge rates of battery packs... YES, even 1 flippin celsius ! This is rarely a problem between 20C/68F to 30C/86F but outside of that temp zone this WILL be affected. The packs closest to ground level will always be cooler and as such will be a bit slower to charge & discharge.

We have people here chasing after WHY their (identical) battery packs charge/discharge at different rates and even when they see the BATT Temps being reported they NEVER Equate it... Point it out to them and then get dumped on for it... Yet, being in the North & offgrid I have run several tests including hard & abusive Thrash tests to force system issues to know the edges (part of being Ex Mil and needing to know extreme cases) and this has been proven several times. As I have a separate Powerhouse that is independently heated I have total control over the environment in there and capable of doing tests that would not be normally possible inside a residence. (Well unless you really want to be uncomfortable).

Here is the Hard Truth about Lithium Based batteries.
They are ALL Affected by temps ! Even as little as 1 degree celsius.
They are ALL Millivolt & Milliamp sensitive. NOT Brute force like Lead Acid.

After a few years with a few different configurations, all of which were tested harshly, I came to realize for optimal performance of all packs concurrently, I built a shelf @ 36" height from floor (optimal location) and all packs are same temp. BTW: 6 packs - 45kWh.
Heat the air not the battery directly, works great. Just add a small computer fan for circulation. If in a heated space already just an enclosure and a fan will keep the cells at the same temp top to bottom.

Attachments

• 6DB795C5-8250-404E-B4E8-CAA0090D5392.jpeg
    6DB795C5-8250-404E-B4E8-CAA0090D5392.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 3
Back