diy solar

diy solar

Random power outage EG4 6500 split phase

My system, Two EG4 6000EX in parallel, 4 EG4 LL VER.1, set on USE, I monitor batteries via SA, and only have 1 NG bond that I know of, Filterguy had me test for NG bond about a month back and the consensus was the the units I had didn't have a NG bond, however I got new units last month and have not checked them yet. See pics attached.
Hello. Have you resolved this problem as I now have shutdown issues as well, and I see in your combiner panel you have a 40 A dual breaker for each inverter input wire, is this so you can shut down one of the inverters if needed? I have just one 60 A dual-breaker in mine with a hot from each inverter on each terminal. Just curious. Thanks.

I would venture to assume that the signal ground would be at the same same ground potential as the shield, mine was not.
View attachment 132932

Flexing my MS paint skills here, I tried to capture the DB9 connector terminal, I was able to read around 1.5VAC to ground at the RS232 DB9 connector.

View attachment 132935

View attachment 132936
This is specifically drawn to show case grounding only, the conduits that I have between my inverters, cable gutter and battery rack and sub panel are all PVC/ PVC flex. The inverters have their #6 THHN wiring to ground that I am not showing on purpose. Curious what others are measuring on their DB9 connectors and if jumpering them to ground stops the power cycling. This might have nothing to do with anything, just ruling things out at this point.
@Desertdwllr
I came across this thread after I had this F80 issue when I added more panels to my system and the inverters tried to put out more than about 50A of current to the batteries. No issue with F80 CAN errors until I added more panels, so it seems to be leakage from the MPPT to battery charging circuit causing the comms interruption when it's over a certain current.

I measured the same AC voltage you observed from the comms shield to ground and it seemed to go between .2VAC and 1.4VAC in sync with the charge current. More charge current, more VAC on the DB9, seeing the 1.4VAC when battery charge current was around 100A. I was able to observe this when the panels were going in and out of cloud shade. This was with no grid input and no loads.

I'm curious as to why the serial port connectors on the inverter are not case grounded to the inverter that would already be grounded to the rest of the system ground. Perhaps sanding off some of the paint on the inverter case under the DB9 connector would have the same result to properly ground the communications ports? I'm going to start with your alligator clamp method and if that resolved the CAN issue I will see if I can get a proper case ground on those DB9s.

Did anyone find a solution for random outages and F80 faults with the 6500s? I received replacement inverters and get one or two outages a week.
The returned inverters would do it daily.

Did anyone find a solution for random outages and F80 faults with the 6500s? I received replacement inverters and get one or two outages a week.
The returned inverters would do it daily.
I have the same question, got my split phase set up w 12 Lifepowers and getting F80 errors as well.

I have the same question, got my split phase set up w 12 Lifepowers and getting F80 errors as well.
I had 2 strings of PV on 2p1 and one string on 2p2. I was getting F80 shutdowns for 3 days in a row at high PV input. I would reset and they would shut down a couple minutes later. I turned off PV to 2p1 and the shutdowns stopped. I ended up removing a string from PV1 on 2p1 and have not had any more F80s in a week. I have still had a few random shutdowns, only noticeable because my oven clock blinks when I lose power. Today I reconnected the string that was on 2p1 to 2p2 and didn't have any F80s so far. I don't have any real idea why or if the second string on 2p1 was causing an F80. I have been trying all sorts of stuff to make it stop and this has done it so far. Could also be a coincidence. I have sent in for the 18kpv upgrade, can't deal with these any longer. Maybe a problem with 2p1 PV1 causing the communication error?

Did everyones issues go away? Or did everyone just give up?
My F80 faults went away with the PV string changes above listed in my last post. I am getting the random shut downs without faults or codes. Happens at night too, so kind of ruling out panel issues. Shut downs are 3 to 0 times a day can't find any common denominator in the data to give me a clue of why. Going to switch to USE instead of EG4 to see what happens.

My F80 faults went away with the PV string changes above listed in my last post. I am getting the random shut downs without faults or codes. Happens at night too, so kind of ruling out panel issues. Shut downs are 3 to 0 times a day can't find any common denominator in the data to give me a clue of why. Going to switch to USE instead of EG4 to see what happens.
I have tech support working on the issue but they were slow to get to next step. They want more useless photos and meter readings to get through their red tape to go to T2 level support. Nothing special about my system so one would think they have resolution without knowing much about my system. Others with lifepower batteries are getting F80. I switched to Lib from EG4 and disconnected comms thinking that would work short-term (and it did yesterday, charged over 60 A on 2P1 and no fault. But today it faulted. Support suggested only use EG4 or user with 56 and 54V, so will switch to that tonight. I only get F80 when 2P1 exceeds 60A. ???? I updated all the firmware on both inverters a few days ago, didn't help.

I'd be interested in seeing results if you were to drop the VOC of each string (2 per AIO) below the 4000W/250V allowed in the other clones of this inverter.

just give up?
Pretty much but figured out a work around.

charged over 60 A
The problem I have here: When my system is <99% SOC and there are intermittent clouds, the system will F80 on 2P1 when loads are >25-30A. But, when at 99% SOC it will not F80 when a cloud crosses the sun. Neither will it F80 when the skies are clear at any % SOC.

What did I find that prevents the F80 error: Set the maximum charge current to 30A or less on those "special days". It is unfortunate the equipment fails but this "work around" does alleviate resetting the system several times on laundry day or pool heater day.

Maybe max charge can be set higher than 30A, IDK...I haven't experimented.

Pretty much but figured out a work around.

The problem I have here: When my system is <99% SOC and there are intermittent clouds, the system will F80 on 2P1 when loads are >25-30A. But, when at 99% SOC it will not F80 when a cloud crosses the sun. Neither will it F80 when the skies are clear at any % SOC.

What did I find that prevents the F80 error: Set the maximum charge current to 30A or less on those "special days". It is unfortunate the equipment fails but this "work around" does alleviate resetting the system several times on laundry day or pool heater day.

Maybe max charge can be set higher than 30A, IDK...I haven't experimented.
I think you really need to hold your tongue right when you set these things up and hope. I will not even touch a button to change the display on fear of going back to F80s and random shutdowns. I'm sure I'm on borrowed time though. :(

Back