diy solar

diy solar

Raspberry Pi Victron CCGX firmware with Victron VE Direct to USB Cable

Got it working.. hardest part was finding the howto to enable "superuser" so I could login via SSH.

But now that I have logged in via ssh, I see this distro is rather plain jane.

The DIY cable worked on the first try.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 9.01.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 9.01.00 PM.png
    114.6 KB · Views: 45
Be aware that RPI 4 does not appear to be compatible with this firmware. The developer mailing list mentions a beta of an RPI 4 firmware but it would not work for me. Kept throwing an "start.elf is incompatible" error that I could not figure out. Here is the list of compatible hardware from the developers mailing list:

• Raspberry Pi Zero: not supported
  • Raspberry Pi Zero W & WH: not supported
  • Raspberry Pi 1 A+: not supported
  • Raspberry Pi 1 B: not supported
  • Raspberry Pi 2: supported
  • Raspberry Pi 3 B: supported, including on-board WiFi, but without bluetooth (or so we've heard, please try)
  • Raspberry Pi 3 B+: supported. Same notes as the Rpi3 B.
  • Raspberry Pi 4: not supported; but a (seemingly working-) image has been made with a request to be tested; see Venus OS developer mailinglist.
Edit: So I just ordered an RPI 3B+ from Amazon. (Fingers crossed) Would really like to get this working with my BMV-700 without the financial burden of another Venus or a CCGX.
Did you ever get this working? I'm currently struggling to get wifi to work with a Raspberry Pi 3B+. I don't want to hard wire to a router in my van install. Pi works fine with Raspian but the Venus image wifi simply doesn't work

Hey Everyone!

I did something similar and have had tremendous luck with the set up. I remotely monitor my system via the Victron APP or the VRM site all the time. This is still up and running perfectly (knock on wood) without any issues at all. Hopefully it will give you all something to try:

What version Pi are you using in your Video? I tried the 3B+ recommended and no matter what I have tried, the Venus OS wifi isn't working

What version Pi are you using in your Video? I tried the 3B+ recommended and no matter what I have tried, the Venus OS wifi isn't working
Have you tried searching for the driver for your specific Wifi adapter and installing it manually? This has solved wireless issues on linux for me in the past.

According to the documentation on Github and on Victron's site only two wifi modules are supported:
  • Partno. BPP900100200 - CCGX WiFi module simple (Nano USB), small, low cost.
  • Partno. BPP900200300 - Asus USB-N14, slightly higher cost and also better reception than the Nano USB. Supported since software version 2.23.

And I believe the instructions call for hooking up via Ethernet during setup (even if you will later use wifi) but I'm not positive about that (see the github page linked above).

Have you tried searching for the driver for your specific Wifi adapter and installing it manually? This has solved wireless issues on linux for me in the past.

According to the documentation on Github and on Victron's site only two wifi modules are supported:

And I believe the instructions call for hooking up via Ethernet during setup (even if you will later use wifi) but I'm not positive about that (see the github page linked above).
I got it working. It seems the wifi was disabled. Running "connmanctl enable wifi" brought the wifi option into the Venus menu.

I got it working. It seems the wifi was disabled. Running "connmanctl enable wifi" brought the wifi option into the Venus menu.
Awesome. Mine worked out of the box on both PI 3 and PI 4's. But I had to enable the graphical interface and use the touchscreen to set up wifi. You can also do it remotely via the Victron Connect app if you use an ethernet cable during setup.

Back