diy solar

diy solar

Rate the quality of this panel? All black Single fold Eco-worthy 100w

Jack Mmkay

100w foltable eco-worthy solar panel. I like it because its compact and only has one fold.

I think it checks all the requirements for a decent quality / price?

Thoughts? Big thanks

That is a smoking hot deal. For US users it is here https://www.eco-worthy.com/products/100w-12v-foldable-solar-panel-suitcase.

When compared to this Lion Energy 100 watt suitcase panel that I use with 9 panels set up 3s3p, The leg system does not look steady, and the I don’t see a way to lock it shut, and this seems 2 flat panels and not 2 panels enclosed in a folding case, and when folded, the panel closes on the side with the cells and they appear to face each other. The connector itself is different than the MC4 or or Anderson plugs I’d use, so I’d need an adapter or splice into it. I also have had problems with wind blowing my panels away, and with the Eco Worthy a little steeper to the ground, seems like the one your looking at could be more of a problem.

The size of the panel is the same as other 100 watt foldable panels with length x width, so does not appear to be smallet panel mislabeled.

If this is only one or two panels and you have a place to store this safely, this appears to be a fine selection. I set up 9 suitcase panels, so the storage part is important to me since 4 are stacked on top of each other when stored and transported.

Thanks for your opinion. A comment said it is not waterproof?? The description says it is. How can I make sure what's correct?
Cheers

Thanks for your opinion. A comment said it is not waterproof?? The description says it is. How can I make sure what's correct?
Cheers
MC4 connectors are generally considered waterproof. Panels are generally considered waterproof.

The amazon link shows that item no longer available. It appears to be two 50w panels with a hinge. Understand that 100W isn't much output - more like trickle charging. You might get 5A on a good day.

I have a pair of 80 watters for 160 total, works fine. Just not a lot of juice. A portable is also something you can make if you're handy - rivet a pair of hinges on any pair of solar panels and a couple of pivoting standup legs. The good news is being portable they can be placed where there IS sun at a campsite, and pointed directly at the sun. I use mine to augment main battery charging, and to charge a small solar generator.

These portable units used to be very reasonably priced, but got stupid expensive over the years. I think I gave about $150 for mine, about eight years ago. If you have room for rigid panels, they're surely less costly that some of these fancy flexible foldable arrays offered these days. Most of them come with some kind of solar controller, but a SCC should really be as close to your battery as possible. I have 25' 10gauge leads from panels to SCC.

Cheers
I was surprised to see that some or all panels are not waterproof. I don’t know the standard.

At the very least the junction boxes that hold the diodes are snap in covers are not waterproof. The connector the ecoworthy panel has does not look waterproof, but not sure.

I’m not sure how much not being waterproof would actually affect operations. In practice, I take my panels in each night. I also take them in before rain to avoid getting my RV muddy.

I was surprised to see that some or all panels are not waterproof. I don’t know the standard.

At the very least the junction boxes that hold the diodes are snap in covers are not waterproof. The connector the ecoworthy panel has does not look waterproof, but not sure.

I’m not sure how much not being waterproof would actually affect operations. In practice, I take my panels in each night. I also take them in before rain to avoid getting my RV muddy.
I kind of like this unit. Im thinking of having two of these. Anything simple i could do to waterproof them?
I plan to take them off at night anyways and have them on the roof with heavy duty magnets

MC4 connectors are generally considered waterproof. Panels are generally considered waterproof.

The amazon link shows that item no longer available. It appears to be two 50w panels with a hinge. Understand that 100W isn't much output - more like trickle charging. You might get 5A on a good day.

I have a pair of 80 watters for 160 total, works fine. Just not a lot of juice. A portable is also something you can make if you're handy - rivet a pair of hinges on any pair of solar panels and a couple of pivoting standup legs. The good news is being portable they can be placed where there IS sun at a campsite, and pointed directly at the sun. I use mine to augment main battery charging, and to charge a small solar generator.

These portable units used to be very reasonably priced, but got stupid expensive over the years. I think I gave about $150 for mine, about eight years ago. If you have room for rigid panels, they're surely less costly that some of these fancy flexible foldable arrays offered these days. Most of them come with some kind of solar controller, but a SCC should really be as close to your battery as possible. I have 25' 10gauge leads from panels to SCC.

Weird. Link works for me. Maybe check out the US link? I live in Southern Spain. I have a bluetti eb3a. It takes 8 amps max from solar, and VOC is like 28/27 volts.
Could I get two of these eco worthy foldables and connect them together for extra juice? Thanks

I kind of like this unit. Im thinking of having two of these. Anything simple i could do to waterproof them?
I plan to take them off at night anyways and have them on the roof with heavy duty magnets
I‘m not sure how this panel would hold up to being stuck on a roof with a magnet when removed.

Not sure you need to waterproof if you remove for weather, especially if you remove them.

Back